WnSoft Forums

Problem with the "show waveform" button

baumettes

Thank you Igor and your team for the finalized version of PTE. It's a great job, congratulations.

As I said in another thread, several users have a problem with the display of the waveform by clicking on the button. After opening the program and opening a project "A" containing a sound track, the button "show waveform" does not work, the waveform doesn't appears or only after several attempts. One solution is to open another project "B" then to reopen just after the project "A".

I know the difficulty with such a problem occurring randomly.

Has anybody this problem on Wnsoft ?

I have had one instance of this happen to me. On thinking about it I am wondering:

PTE v6.5 introduced the feature whereby PTE remembers whether the user had the waveform showing or not the last time they used the Timeline view. Is there a bug associated with a brand new install of PTE v6.5 in that it requires a stop-start in order to set the relevant control parameter - and until that is done it will not display the waveform at all. In my case, it happened with the very first project that I tried to open in v6.5 official release and has not happened since.

regards,

Peter

I have also encountered this problem, having to switch the programme on and off until it worked. I have therefore uninstalled it until a fix has been found and reverted to version 6.0.4. This is the first time something has not worked properly, I have been using this wonderful programme since version 4.

Regards

Gwynn

Well, I have Windows XP SP3.

I uninstalled the final version and I tried all the betas. Everything works until the beta 8. The problem appears from the beta 9. Perhaps as Peter says, the fact that "PTE remembers whether the user had the waveform showing or not the last time they used the Timeline view" is involved, specifically with some hardware?

Another guy has Vista and has no problem until the beta 11 included.

The problem appears at the opening of PTE, and at the loading of the first project ("Load Last Used Project" option is on or off).

After opening a second project in the same session, everything works until closing pte.

Another way to avoid the problem is to open PTE in "slides" configuration (the previous session must be closed in this position). After changing to "Timeline" the button works fine.

Igor, thank you for the work and sorry for this very marginal problem.

Regards

Eric

Hi Ken

Apologies for not providing sufficient details. The version with the waveform problem was the final version of PTE 6.5. I have never tried any betas.

System specs - Intel Duo core 3.01 GHz, 8 GB of RAM, 4 SCSI hard drives with sufficient space, NVIDIA GEForce 8600 GT and XP 64-bit.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Gwynn

Please answer on my several questions which will help me find reason of this problem:

1) When you face with this bug - do you work (or did you work) with one or two sessions of PicturesToExe simultaneously?

2) Before the moment when the waveform was displayed normally, did you see a progress bar over the timeline? Please see the attached screenshot.

3) If you can easily reproduce this issue, could you please give me step by step instruction?

For example:

Start PicturesToExe with loaded last project

(Project: automatically loaded with background music file)

(Timeline: already visible

Waveform: already visible)

Close PicturesToExe

Start PicturesToExe

4) Is it possible to record a screen video?

Thanks in advance!

post-1-087706900 1281514850_thumb.gif

Igor,

I cannot re-create the problem so cannot give you much additional information. Perhaps Eric (baumettes) and his colleagues will be able to. I very rarely have two projects open at the same time so I do not think that this was the case when I did have the problem but I cannot be sure. When the waveform does display normally then, yes, I do see the green progress bar. On the occasion when the waveform failed to appear there was no obvious activity on the screen. The mouse click on the button was apparently accepted but there was no change to the Timeline window contents.

I realise that these intermittent bugs are the worst kind for you and your team. You know your product isn't perfect and yet, until the fault can be recreated consistently, you have very little diagnostic data to aid you in finding the solution. It is very frustrating for us all!

regards,

Peter

Thanks, Peter! Indeed it's not too bad. Appearently it's a local bug related only with code of PicturesToExe (fortunately not with a video card or particular version of Windows). So this can be solved when I learn how to reproduce it.

Igor

In answer to your request I list below my workflow.

1)Working with one session only of PTE.

2)Progress bar seen each time waveform works. If progress bar does not appear neither does waveform.

3)Step by step. Open PTE, timeline visible, press waveform button and sometimes it works and sometimes it fails, close and reopen PTE until it works.

4)I am afraid I am unable to make a screen video.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to try and rectify this problem.

Regards

Gwynn

Igor

My workflow is the same as Celt, except in 3) where I can obtain the waveform by opening another project (in the same session, File > Open ) or by closing the session in "slides" mode and reopening a new one and changing it in "timeline" mode.

When the button doesn't work, it's exactly as Peter described.

Igor

I am afraid I cannot provide a video recording.

I appreciate your efforts in overcoming this problem.

Regards

Gwynn

===================

Gwynn and others,

If you have Windows 7, there is a built-in program called PSR (Problem Steps Recorder). If you go to the Start-Search window and type in PSR, it will reveal the PSR.exe file. When you start the recording, it will take images, screen-by-screen as you go and highlight where your mouse was clicking. This is saved as an html file that can be sent to anyone. It is very useful for stuff like this. Hope you have Windows7... :D It is not 'video' but it is a screen-by-screen recorder. (I hear that Vista has it too).

Gary

Gary,

There's no PSR.exe on my Vista Home Premium system.

regards,

Peter

=======================

Peter,

I have Googled a few sites that mention that PSR.exe is in Vista. Maybe not. I did find this site below that tells how to repair a non-working PSR.exe in Windows7 and Vista. You might give this a try to see if it can be revived. It is a cool program.

http://www.filerepair.ca/DLL-EXE-downloads/p/ps/psr.exe-Download-File-psr.exe.html

Gary

Added later:

I just found this (so I guess it is not available in Vista):

"The Problem Steps Recorder in the Windows 7 operating system is a feature that enables users to record their interactions with an application and provide a detailed screen-by-screen view with accompanying information.

Note: Problem Steps Recorder is not available for down level Vista or XP

Hope it helps

Thanks and regards

Dinesh-Microsoft Support"

Eric,

Gwynn,

Thank you! With you help I finally reproduced this interesting bug. It appeared when you turned off your PC into hybernation mode during 25 days which saves current state of Windows and opened applications (without shutdown). If performs shurtdown or restart this problem dissappears.

A simple mistake in time calculations.

Fortunately I used my PC with hybernation during last 25 days and today my PC has reached moment X and I've seen this bug too.

So we've fixed this bug in version 6.5.1 Beta:

http://www.wnsoft.com/test/picturestoexe-setup.zip

If you confirm the solution, we'll publish final version 6.5.1 on Monday.

I am so sorry, Igor, but there is no change with this 6.5.1 for me and the other member (gdadmd). I tried further projects in further conditions. The effect is exactly the same as in video I sent you and and described before in the thread.

Eric

Eric,

Please make sure that About window (the main menu | Help) displays 6.5.1.

And you've downloaded the file by this URL today after my post:

http://www.wnsoft.com/test/picturestoexe-setup.zip

WhatsNew.rtf file has the next record:

Changes in version 6.5.1

* Fixed issue (v6.5.0) with audio clips in produced H.264 MP4 video files (including uploads for YouTube). The program has truncated last half of second of an audio clip.

* Fixed issue of (v6.5 Beta 1 - v6.5.0) when the main timeline couldn't display a waveform.

Eric,

Just I published another earlier 6.5.1 beta several days ago.

I have no idea why it didn't help, it should.

When that problem appeared on my PC in the official version 6.5, I clicked waveform button. I sow no progress bar. But if I wait required time (depending of length of an audip clip) waveform appeared successfully.