WnSoft Forums

Gaussian Blur

nickles

Hello:

When creating slideshows I very often use a Gaussian Blur effect, especially when super-imposing one image or images on top of another. When used with layering in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, it can be used very effectively to simulate a small depth of field such as a wide-open lens.

I created a short demo with PTE 5 beta in a crude attempt to demonstrate this effect. I've included the original PTE files along with the .exe slideshow file for those that might be interested.

I like the effect but I may well be by my lonely...just thought I would share.

You can download here:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/sknickles@sb...ic+Data&.view=l

It's the file called Gaussian. You may have to het the refresh button on your browser several times in order to reach the download page.

nickles

:D

Ken,

This effect looks very interesting, I experimented, too.

But currently it's not possible to realize it in PicturesToExe as option, Gaussian Blur performs very slowly. And not all video cards are capable to do it.

Ken,

I like the effect - really separates the foreground and background, and puts more emphasis on the foreground image. At least we will be able to simulate it in v.5 using Photoshop.

Ken,

This effect looks very interesting, I experimented, too.

But currently it's not possible to realize it in PicturesToExe as option, Gaussian Blur performs very slowly. And not all video cards are capable to do it.

Igor:

Thanks for your reply. As I know little about the workings of video cards...I thought there might be a chance they could do that function...so forget I suggested it.

Since I started this thread and question I've played around a bit with PTE 5 and this effect. With your great tools, I've learned that "If there is a will there is a way". I created a second version of the effect for download. It's not real pretty but demonstrates the effect. I zoom two photos in and out as overlays. As the last photo exits I attempted to simulate a zooming out "sharp to blur" effect.

Thought I'd post for those that might be interested...but remember it's pretty crude...just for my own learning.

It can be downloaded here:

Sincerely,

Ken

I am unable to open the link. ?????

Ligia,

You may have to hit the "Refresh" button a couple of times as I did, but after a couple of tries I got through.

Ligia,

You may have to hit the "Refresh" button a couple of times as I did, but after a couple of tries I got through.

Thanks for the assist Al,

Maybe Ligia got through. Yahoo Briefcase is better than it used to be. At least it seems that if your are persistent with the refresh button I think you can normally get through. It typically takes me 3-6 times. Yahoo admits to a problem but haven't offered a solution. I don't think the problem is unique to my Briefcase? Unfortunately, at present, this is the only means I have of sharing large files.

nickles

B)

Ken, a question regarding your use of Gaussian blur with PTE5 Beta -

Is your method currently to use two photos, one at "sharp" and one at "full blur" and then use PTE "fade" transition and O/A opacity to evolve as desired? And if no gradual "evolvement" is wanted, what benefits do you like using the O/A window vs. your past (PS) method?

And by the way, your cat examples don't seem to lack anything! Very good.

Ken, a question regarding your use of Gaussian blur with PTE5 Beta -

And by the way, your cat examples don't seem to lack anything! Very good.

Lumenlux:

"Is your method currently to use two photos, one at "sharp" and one at "full blur" and then use PTE "fade" transition and O/A opacity to evolve as desired?"

Yes. That is one of the reasons I asked Igor if it was feasible for PTE to do the Gaussian Blur. As the video cards evidently don't support this function...the only method I could devise was the two photo technique. Unfortunately for a moving object it takes quite a bit of synchronization to keep two objects moving in synch with each other. I haven't got the technique perfected yet as I get to much transparency in the middle of blur transition process. It might work best if the sharp image is kept at 100 transparency and the blurred image is varied from 0 to 100.

"And if no gradual "evolvement" is wanted, what benefits do you like using the O/A window vs. your past (PS) method?"

The only benefits would be for objects you desire to move (pan or zoom) within the slide. For a still slide with overlays and no movement the PTE 4 method is much simpler and can be used to do an excellent job.

I really created the demo slideshow for two reasons. One was to satisfy my curiosity of doing the blurred movement if Igor was unable to easily do it....I thought he might just have some magic to pull out of his hat of tricks. The second reason was to demonstrate the use of Gaussian Blur for those in the forum that might not be familiar with the technique.

I doubt that I would use this technique very often in O/A but it is now in my bag of tools. I do use the technique quite often in the basic PTE 4 slideshow...especially when I create a simple image overlay on a previous slide. Oh, by the way I've noticed many women tend to appreciate a very slight amount of Gaussian Blur applied to photos of themselves? It does have a nice softening effect if used in moderation.

Sincerely,

Ken

I haven't got the technique perfected yet as I get to much transparency in the middle of blur transition process. It might work best if the sharp image is kept at 100 transparency and the blurred image is varied from 0 to 100.

I did another little test. The sharp photo should always travel below the Gaussian Blur photo and always be set to 100 opacity. The blurred photo should always ride above the sharp photo and only it's transparency varied from 0 to 100. That gets rid of the semi-transparency that occurs about midway into the transition. In my original demo show when the sharp photo was at 100 opacity I set the blurred to 0 opacity. Conversely, when the sharp photo was at 0 opacity I set the blurred photo to 100 opacity.

If anyone expresses an interest I will post the revison.

Ken

:blink:

The advantage of using a Gaussian Blur overlay as opposed to doing it from within PTE is that by varying the opacity of the Blur layer some interesting halo effects are possible.

I have been using this technique in still images for some time.

I did another little test. The sharp photo should always travel below the Gaussian Blur photo and always be set to 100 opacity. The blurred photo should always ride above the sharp photo and only it's transparency varied from 0 to 100. That gets rid of the semi-transparency that occurs about midway into the transition. In my original demo show when the sharp photo was at 100 opacity I set the blurred to 0 opacity. Conversely, when the sharp photo was at 0 opacity I set the blurred photo to 100 opacity.

If anyone expresses an interest I will post the revison.

Ken

:blink:

Hi Ken

I'd like to request that you post the revision - many thanks - Nettleton

The advantage of using a Gaussian Blur overlay as opposed to doing it from within PTE is that by varying the opacity of the Blur layer some interesting halo effects are possible.

I have been using this technique in still images for some time.

Hello Davegee:

I use Paint Shop Pro for most of my photo editing, although I ocasionally use Photoshop 7. PSP has a very nice filter called Soft Focus which is superb for creating the halo effects you speak of. Among several settings it permits you also to adjust the extent of the halo. PS 7 doesn't have that feature but newer versions may?

"I'd like to request that you post the revision - many thanks - Nettleton"

Hello Nettleton:

I will post the revison this evening and advise in this thread.

Ken

snip.....

Yes. That is one of the reasons I asked Igor if it was feasible for PTE to do the Gaussian Blur. As the video cards evidently don't support this function...the only method I could devise was the two photo technique. Unfortunately for a moving object it takes quite a bit of synchronization to keep two objects moving in synch with each other. I haven't got the technique perfected yet as I get to much transparency in the middle of blur transition process. It might work best if the sharp image is kept at 100 transparency and the blurred image is varied from 0 to 100.

Ken,

Why not put them (the two images) both inside a rectangle (group select) then apply the movement to the group? This will keep everything in sync easier I think. Though you "can" individually control elements within a rectangle, if you apply the effects to the rectangle itself the objects within will all take the identical actions.

What you are doing with the gaussian blur can also be extended to other effects as I did with the "sunset" effect and the eagle flying. I used what began as identical images but modified the "copy" so the clouds had the sunset effect. Then I varied the transparency over time on each to effect a gradual change from daylight to sunset to darkness while simultaneously using the transparent background moon beginning with about 20% transparency to mirror a daylight moon and let it gradually shift to 100% opacity just before the end of the 36 second slide.

Best regads,

Lin

Hello:

I've uploaded a more perfected set of Gaussian Blur PTE files here:

Remember: You may have to hit your browser refresh button several times to access them.

1. Gaussian3_EXE.zip includes the .exe file along with the included PTE files.

2. Gaussian3.zip will require you to create the .exe with PTE Beta 5.0 from the included PTE files

I get real bored with slideshows that have no music...so I included some nice sounds.

nickles