WnSoft Forums

Anyone successfully tried up grading XP with service pack 3

Guest Yachtsman1

There was a lot of comments recently that XP SP3 would kill existing PTE shows, and the advice was stay away from it. Has anyone any comments.

Yachtsman1

Hello Yachtsman1,

See here and here or here. See also the posts of Conflow!

Regarding PTE and SP3: No problems on my machine, so far!

Best regards,

Xaver H.

Munich

Guest Yachtsman1
Hello Yachtsman 1,

Follow the links from Xaver and Brian (Conflow) as these seem learned chaps.

I downloaded 'Jesper's Blog' via google the 'removal tool'. I have since downloaded Sp3 on my AMD processor and all works fine including PtE5.5..

Have faith it can be done.

Anthony

Hi All

Although the replies don't fully answer the specific question re PTE, I think I'll leave well alone. Thank you.

Yachtsman1

I am not having a problem with PTE and i have sp3 installed

- my procedure/notes - no guarantees - my second system will not run the ver 5- not enough graphics power

the install is supposed result in a faster system - i have not seen a gain on my main system but my second system shuts down and starts faster

fyi only

I have installed xp sp3 on both my systems now

before i did the install i followed the instructions below and made the new boot disk -- apparently once sp3 is installed your original xp disk is no good if you have to do a xp repair -- i made sure the disk would boot before i installed the sp3 package -- i used the big download to install it on the slow #2 system -- let it run off and on for a week or so then from the windows download site i did the install on my main system -- 66.9 mb download and it still took 1 hr +- for the install

ken

THIS IS PROCEDURE I USED TO MAKE DISK

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xpsp3_slipstream.asp

BUT I ALSO GOT INFO FROM THIS SITE

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2325399,00.asp

I GOT THE IMAGBURN PROGGIE TO DO ITS THING - THEN USED

INSTRUCTIONS C/W PICTURES AND NERO TO MAKE DISK

KEN

Bootstrap and Burn

You're not done with your old XP disc yet; you still need to pull the boot loader off the old disc so you can make the new one bootable.

The easiest way to do this is using ImgBurn, available free from www.imgburn.com. Install ImgBurn, start the app, and click Write files/folders to disc on the first screen. Choose the Advanced tab, followed by the Bootable Disc tab, and from the Extract Boot Image list select the drive containing your XP disc. Click the Save icon and save the BootImage.ima file to your C:\SP3 folder.

ANOTHER LINK FOR INFO HERE

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/w...sp2-bootcd.html

Guest Yachtsman1
I am not having a problem with PTE and i have sp3 installed

- my procedure/notes - no guarantees - my second system will not run the ver 5- not enough graphics power

the install is supposed result in a faster system - i have not seen a gain on my main system but my second system shuts down and starts faster

fyi only

I have installed xp sp3 on both my systems now

before i did the install i followed the instructions below and made the new boot disk -- apparently once sp3 is installed your original xp disk is no good if you have to do a xp repair -- i made sure the disk would boot before i installed the sp3 package -- i used the big download to install it on the slow #2 system -- let it run off and on for a week or so then from the windows download site i did the install on my main system -- 66.9 mb download and it still took 1 hr +- for the install

ken

THIS IS PROCEDURE I USED TO MAKE DISK

BUT I ALSO GOT INFO FROM THIS SITE

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2325399,00.asp

I GOT THE IMAGBURN PROGGIE TO DO ITS THING - THEN USED

INSTRUCTIONS C/W PICTURES AND NERO TO MAKE DISK

KEN

Bootstrap and Burn

You're not done with your old XP disc yet; you still need to pull the boot loader off the old disc so you can make the new one bootable.

The easiest way to do this is using ImgBurn, available free from www.imgburn.com. Install ImgBurn, start the app, and click Write files/folders to disc on the first screen. Choose the Advanced tab, followed by the Bootable Disc tab, and from the Extract Boot Image list select the drive containing your XP disc. Click the Save icon and save the BootImage.ima file to your C:\SP3 folder.

ANOTHER LINK FOR INFO HERE

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/w...sp2-bootcd.html

Hi Ken

Bit too advanced for me, think I'll leave it as is, both my laptops have had the RAM upgraded to 2GB + and both run PTE5 & 5.5 fine so I'll let sleeping dogs lie. Too old for hassle.

Thanks Yachtsman1

Good morning Yachtsman 1,

Regarding your understandable reluctance to install SP3. A simple question to you..... Does your computer have an 'Intel 'processor? If so then you shouldn't have any problems. The problems seem to arise with AMD processors.

I am not aware that SP3 has any effect on PtE provided the computer is working properly.

If you do decide to go ahead then I urge you to google in 'Jesper's blog' and download the 'removal tool' It couldn't be simpler.

Anthony

Yes, I have installed SP3 and the world as I know it is all still there, the PC works and so does all the software.

Bit of a disappointment really after all I have read. I had got myself syched up for a right old battle and................nothing

:rolleyes:

Guest Yachtsman1
Anthony

yes I am turning into Victor Meldrew :rolleyes:

Hi All

As I started the present query, I thought I'd better bite the bullet and give it a go. I used my back up laptop first a Sony Viao bought in 2004 with the ram upgraded this year to 1.5gb, Centrino dual layer processor XP3 Home Edition. Used M/soft XP SP3 KB 936929 upgrade. Took around 40 mins to complete and appears to work fine. So with more confidence I did my main laptop Samsung G15 bought last year with pentium dual core, ATI Radeon 1250 graphics, using XP Professional with a Ram upgrade to 2GB. Installed same upgrade as first machine, had a few pop ups from AVG and Spybot and the machine didn't automatically re-boot on completion, so I switched off & on manually and all appears well. I've tried PTE5.5 on a show I'm constructing and that is fine, as is PS Elements 5. Fingers crossed MS have got it right.

Yachtsman1

Hi Yachtsman1,

perhaps you should check if SP3 has been properly installed. Check also if your anti-malware is still ok. It has been reported that SP3 sometimes conflicts with this kind of SW. When I installed SP3, I first deinstalled my virus SW and reinstalled it afterwards.

Best regards,

Xaver H.

Munich

Yachtsman,

Congrats to you. When you downloaded the Xp3 version KB936929 you actually downloaded the final (debugged) version of Xp3

which was just released in June and it finally got its International accreditation ISO9660 in July. This version took a full year to

re-develop since the origional 'buggy' version Xp3 of 2007 ~ how time fly's !!!.

By the way both of your Laptops use 'Intel Processors' and this version of Xp3 does not interfer with the Intel PPM System which

the (origional) versions did....

Here is a little 'Tip' ~ just remember that Xp3 uses more resources than Xp2 and as such we would normally suggest to install

2.Gb of Memory Ram if you intend to use the Laptops 'intensively' with Photo-Editors and AV programs like Pte.5xxx.

Best of luck with the upgrade.

Brian.Conflow.