WnSoft Forums

Graphical cards

Henri.R

Maybe this question is asked before, but in the forum I didn't find an answer..

After 5 years my barebone computer needs some renewing. Can anybody tell me which state-of-the-art graphical card nowadays is capable to handle the requirements of PtE 5.7?

I regularly do movements, zooming etc. in PtE. I understand that 512MB is the norm now?

It must be a silence type, so no cooling fans or whatever that makes unnecessary sounds...

regards,

Henri.

Hi Henri,

Igor can tell you about his specific nVidia 8600 GT card which doesn't use a cooling fan but instead has cooling "pipes" which act as a heat sink - (most cards do have cooling fans) but having a cooling fan doesn't necessarily mean noise.

As an example, my nVidia 8800 GT card runs ghostly quiet "almost" all the time. To use the 8800 GT card, which is a middle of the road medium-high performance card, you must have a power supply which furnishes at least 450 watts of power as well as power connections to furnish dual power to the card. My default power supply with my Dell inspiron 530 was not up to the task and I swapped it out for a 750w model which was up to the task.

Immediately on startup, there is a brief period of a couple seconds when the fans all come on then silence. The "only" way I've been able to get my 8800 GT's cooling fan to make any perceptible noise is to run one of my screen saver aquarium programs which allows the user to set the frame rates and I set the frames to 380 frame per second. Then the card is severely worked and the cooling fan comes on. No PTE file that I have ever created, even those which tax the video system, will make the 8800 GT fan audible at all.

I think if you will build your new system with at least a 600w power supply, buy any of the latest nVidia cards you will not find them to be noisy at all even though most do have cooling fans. There is new technology, however, which uses liquid cooling and also one which has different designs and is also used on some of the newer nVidia cards and possibly on other cards. Read about it here:

http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/4125/39/1/1/

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive answer and your advice.

However, after reading the link you supplied one more question came up: What version of DirectX must be installed to work with PtE 5.6 and/or 5.7?

I'm using version 9c now, but I understand there also exists a version DirectX 10.

Thanks again,

regards,

Henri.