WnSoft Forums

Igor: A "Simple" User Interface Idea

HaroldB

Igor,

A while ago, I suggested having a drop-down box in the synch window that lets us change the transition effect and transtion duration for a particular image. I think this would make it easier to create a slideshow without going back and forth between the synch window and the effects dialog box.

It occurred to me the other day that it might be pretty easy for you to also graphically depict the transition duration for each image by shading a portion of the timeline to show how long the transition for that slide is.

(And in a future version, attach a "handle" to the end of each shaded section and allow us to drag it to increase or decrease the transition time :rolleyes: .)

Harold

A while ago, I suggested having a drop-down box in the synch window that lets us change the transition effect and transtion duration for a particular image. I think this would make it easier to create a slideshow without going back and forth between the synch window and the effects dialog box.

Good idea, but we want to carefully check how to prevent some duplication of that function and other ones.

Yes, I also thought about displaying of transition time for an each slide :rolleyes:

Probably in the first beta.

(Very interesting idea to change it directly on the time line!)

Good idea, but we want to carefully check how to prevent some duplication of that function and other ones.

When I write software, I find it's generally a good idea to provide multiple ways of doing things.

For people that are not doing synched shows, the current method of entering transitions and transition times may work just fine. But if you're doing a synched show, it's a real bother to keep on going in and out of the synch window to set transition times.

Why not simply let PTE support both ways?

I'm assuming, of course, that the necessary data is in memory and accessible to both functions.

Have fun!

Harold

There is an interesting problem with showing of an effect duration on the time line. Earlier we have added ability to assign (in addition) duration and for the Fade in/out. It was necessary when other effects have 0,5 sec, and Fade - 1,5 sec. And if effects to be selected randomly, we are not able to beforehand calculate duration of effect for an each slide.

But now all effects have 1,5 sec. by default, and what you think, can we remove separate choose of duration for Fade effect (Project option | "Effects" tab)?

p.s. no problem with duration of effect from the Personal settings of a slide.

There is an interesting problem with showing of an effect duration on the time line. Earlier we have added ability to assign (in addition) duration and  for the Fade in/out. It was necessary when other effects have 0,5 sec, and Fade - 1,5 sec. And if effects to be selected randomly, we are not able to beforehand calculate duration of effect for an each slide.

But now all effects have 1,5 sec. by default, and what you think, can we remove separate choose of duration for Fade effect (Project option | "Effects" tab)?

p.s. no problem with duration of effect from the Personal settings of a slide.

Since I always use a timeline and I always pre-set effects for my shows, from my point of view, making one default duration for fades and all other effects makes perfect sense. However, it would be better to hear from people who construct their shows using the default transitions.

Even if you DID show the transition times on the timeline, I do not think that I would necessarily show the transition times that are generated by the defaults. In fact, if you DID want to show it, I would show it in at least a slightly different color so that one could visually see that it was defaulted and not set by the user.

If you also have a dropdown box in the synch window that lets the user change the transition style, there should be an entry in the box called "default transition" or something like that, to indicate that no transition has really been specified for this slide.

Harold

Arion have an interesting new GUI for their multiple slide-projector control systems. It uses a time-line on a computer screen, with a line for each projector, showing graphically which projector is on or off, the duration of each sequence, the duration of each transition, both fade-on and fade-off, (using triangular shapes to represent the varying intensity of the lamps), and also showing the intensity of each projector lamp during the sequence, since this is also adjustable (might be another feature for PTE ?)

And the best part of this system is that each parameter can be modified by simply clicking and dragging with the cursor! They have added a digital music feature which now allows one to play back the accompanying music or narration in sync with the sequencing control program, even while making modifications to the various parameters, in much the same way that PTE now provides for instant testing of the synchronization while clicking and dragging a representation of the start of each sequence on the timeline.

Now, if they can do all this for an old-fashioned electromechanical system, surely it would be a 'piece of cake' to provide a similar capability for a digital system like PTE??

An additional useful feature would be the ability to display a table of all the sequences, with their identities and parameters (dissolve times ON, dissolve times OFF, durations, and cumulative times from the start of the show) and be able to print out this list if desired. It should be constantly updated during the performance of the above-mentioned changes.

Anyway, Santa, this is my wish-list for this Christmas - hope it's not too late. :(

Ciao,

Al

We plan to add many useful capabilities with Sync. mode in v3.90.

-----------<snip>-------------

Please wait.

Thanks, Igor. You are doing a great job! And we're really not trying to rush you - just a bit impatient, but I'm sure you will take your time and as a result turn out even better improvements and additions.

Good Luck, and all the best in the New Year! :rolleyes:

Ciao,

Al

As long as I have a forum, let me plead for the ability to create a "VCD". I've looked at other software that will create slide shows to play on one's CD player and want that ability in Pictures to Exe. I see the quality is not as good as we have in the PC Monitor, however, to be able to produce a VCD that can be seen by friends and relatives that have no computer out weighs the reduction in quality of the photograph. Besides, most will not notice . . .first of all, they have no idea of the original quality, and secondly, even if they knew the original quality, most would not care about the quality "loss".

Igor . . . . PLEASE? :rolleyes:

jrb