WnSoft Forums

[Freeware] PhotoScape

Lin Evans

Sometimes, for special effects or for convenience we need to split or "slice" an image into a number of pieces. For doing special "puzzle" type effects, for slicing up large panoramas so they can be used as multiple images with "push" transition to accommodate low resource computers and simulate panning a large panorama, etc.

Of course we can do this with Photoshop and Image Ready, but it isn't straight forward and does require a good bit of understanding of Photoshop. I've found that many people either don't have Photoshop or just give up trying to get jpg output instead of gif slices. Truth be known, the real intent of Adobe was probably doing the slices for web purposes and not for the purpose that we slideshow enthusiasts intend to use it for. Then there is always the expense of Photoshop and the fact that not everyone has it.

So how do those who either don't have extensive knowledge or Photoshop or the finances to purchase Photoshop manage?

One way is a very nice little free program (donations accepted) called PhotoScape (link below):

http://www.photoscap...in/download.php

It's extremely easy with PhotoScape to precisely slice up an image into equal sized pieces. PhotoScape does much more as you will see, but I find it a very good tool even if one uses it only for the slice feature.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

I suppose you are aware that panorama construction is fairly easy in Elements, i've used it in 5 & 6 and so long as you take care when taking the actual pictures for your pan, it's more or less bullet proof & a 10th of the price of Photoshop. Not sure about splitting an image, or what I would use it for.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

Slicing is not for panorama construction, but rather for panorama simulation with individual images which have been made by "slicing" a panorama into multiple images which fit perfectly together. By using the "push" transition, it's possible to create panorama pan simulations which will work smoothly on very low resource computers which are not able to pan a large panorama smoothly.

There are numerous reasons why people want to slice images for animation purposes or as webmasters often do to prevent theft of images. The slices are joined on the web and appear to be a single image, but when a thief right clicks and saves to clipboard they only get a small segment of the whole. Animations of puzzle types use multiple "slices" to join together in the animation.

Not everyone is interested in slicing an image, but there are many who are.

Best regards,

Lin