WnSoft Forums

Fonts Installer - New version

boxig

Now with the new features of PTE it is very simple to install as many fonts you like on user's computer. This will allow you to use all kinds of fonts in your presentation. The utility make its job behind the screen, installing all font files found on your CD to C:\Windows\Fonts.

I don't know if all operating systems use this path to the fonts folder, so I will appreciate information about the location of fonts folder in different OS.

The utility is Freeware.

Thanks

Granot

Thanks for the info. I added this and uploaded new file.

Now the program sould work for end users with WINNT too. The only case it will not work is if user don't have either "TIMES.TTF" or "ARIAL.TTF" (must have at least one of these, which I assume everyone has).

Please check it and let me know. You can drag a font file from your font folder to the utility folder, then delete it from your font folder (if it was not deleted by itself) and run the utility. The font should be re-installed to your fonts folder.

Members with other operating systems are welcomed to send me the path to their Fonts folder so I can add it to the utility.

Thanks

Granot

Following the post of Mary "mhwarner", I wish to confirm that in ALL Windows OS', from 95 to ME and XP, Fonts directory is in C:\Windows, besides Win 2000 (C:\Winnt).

But pay attention, several Windows fonts are copyrighted !

Hey Granot,

What if you have a dualboot, like me, and mostly use the Windows XP on drive D? I do have C:/Windows/Fonts, but that is Windows 98 and that is not my default workingarea. I suppose lots of people have their Windows on different stations or partitions. Is there no way the program can detect the location of the default Font folder? Or am I overasking now. I did a test and the font was installed perfectly on the C drive, but it didn't show in my office program for example, and that is obvious because at the moment I am using the Windows on D.

Marianne

My basic assumption is that people use drive C for windows folders. So as long as the Fonts folder is in C:\Windows or in C:\Winnt, the instalation will take place. I am trying to find the way to auto detect the fonts folder but till now couldn't find how. I could make the ytility visible and let user browse for the folder but than it has other disadvantages, as being visible and the fact that not everyone know where and how to look for it. I hope solution will come in the future.

Granot

Marianne is right, but I am not so sure that "lots of people have their Windows on different stations or partitions". And in these cases, I guess such user is experienced enough to create a C:\Windows\Fonts path and copy fonts from his Windows disk or partition to this directory.

Granot, since you use MMB does it have the ability to read from the registry? If so you can identify the fonts drive and folder in the following registry key/subkey/name & value (example is showing a system that uses C:\Windows\Fonts):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

"Fonts"="C:\WINDOWS\Fonts"

If MMB can't read from registry, AutoIt free scripting can do it. You can just run a simple script to read the fonts location and put it on the clipboard. Then in MMB you can read the clipboard and proceed. AutoIt can also identify the windows operating system version in use if you need it for anything.

I have a working script .EXE file that I'll email to you if you want (only 42KB), in case you don't want to learn AutoIt scripting. It places the fonts location on the clipboard for you. All that you have to do is run it from MMB. Here is what it just placed on clipboard from the registry on my system:

C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

Hi Bill,

As I understood there are two options only:

C:\Winnt\Font

C:\Windows\Fonts

If this is true so the utility works fine for those two.

MMb can read and write to registry but I never use the registry in my utilities since I know people don't like when program add things to their registry. As for "autoit", I know it but don't use it.

Does your script detect the folder in all OS ?

I think we wait for some feedback from members how it works on different OS (members can try it on HD and no need to burn a CD) and if it will not work as it should, I will have to use the registry and your script.

By the way, did you made any interesting project with mmb that you can send me to see ?

Thanks

Granot

There are two folders and C: and D: drives so far for the Windows fonts folder. You can take the guesswork out and easily know drive and folder by just asking Windows (read the registry). It's safe since you are only reading, and not writing.

I emailed the two lines of source code and compiled (.EXE) script file to you that should find the correct drive and folder from any Windows version and put it on the clipboard. I also sent a .EXE compiled diagnostic script that shows what it just put on the clipboard. Anyone can test their Windows version to show fonts drive and folder with the diagnostic in case you want to do further testing first.

In Win XP Home, the fonts are located in C:\Windows\Fonts for regular users, unless they preferred to install their Windows in another directory or drive.

Dear Granot,

Thanks for your utility!

Yes, Bill is right - to correctly find fonts' folder we should to use function from API or just read this path from the Registry. And it works under all versions of Windows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

"Fonts"="C:\WINDOWS\Fonts"

It is necessary because even for Windows 95 user can choose another path of installing. E.g. many years ago I always assign C:\Win_95

p.s. probably we will add installing of fonts in the next versions (on the fly with deleting after exiting of show).

probably we will add installing of fonts in the next versions

Thanks Igor. That will be very helpful to most of us. Since your new versions are poping-up like mushroos, I'm sure will see it this year. And please don't forget the ability to embed in the exe what we are using now as "Run external file".

...and thanks for great "PicturesToExe".

Granot