WnSoft Forums

Canon 7D Movie Mode

jfa

Looking to upgrade my old D-SLR and have been checking out the new Canon 7D D-SLR.

While the movie mode is a minor concern to me I am intrigued by the HD quality and low-light capabilities, (along with some other ground breaking functions).

Here is a sample you may be interested in.

http://www.vimeo.com/6904072

I started to watch the video and was very very impressed.

Then I red some reviews and this camera seems absolutely amazing !

I am very interested in a very good camera that has a good movie mode.

It might be the one.

Now I have to find the money...

Thank you very much for pointing it out.

Do you think you will buy it ?

Dom:

Both my wife and I recently bought the 7D

Not so much for the movie mode (I am still using very little animation in PTE and am really not into video) but more a replacement to our older Canon dSLR back-up cameras (a 10D and 20D) We each have a 30D which now become our back up cameras.

I am NOT knowledgeable re Video, but since you mentioned the cost of the 7D (It isn't a cheap camera) you might want to look at a unit that Ed Overstreet mentioned on our Camera Club Forum here

Thanks Jim, but I have to buy a french version for the guarantee, the manual (i need it in french) and the electric voltage.

It would be my first DSLR. I have a bridge right now (fuji s100fs).

Do you think it would be appropriate ?

I don't want to be disgusted by something too complex and would like to have the pleasure to take pictures right away. And after, learn and improve my technique little by little.

I know it's a shame, but is there an auto mode for begginers (you just have to press on the button).

In case you used it, how is the autofocus for video ?

Thanks.

Thanks Jim, but I have to buy a french version for the guarantee, the manual (i need it in french) and the electric voltage.

It would be my first DSLR. I have a bridge right now (fuji s100fs).

Do you think it would be appropriate ?

I don't want to be disgusted by something too complex and would like to have the pleasure to take pictures right away. And after, learn and improve my technique little by little.

I know it's a shame, but is there an auto mode for begginers (you just have to press on the button).

In case you used it, how is the autofocus for video ?

Thanks.

Dom:

Again I am no expert with video (wouldn't even call myself a beginner)

You might want to Google for Canon 7D reviews, one is here: dpreviews but it is more of a description of what camera settings are available.

You may have to wait for more informed reviews.

I shot a short video the day just to try it, but my PC couldn't handle it. The video spluttered its way through. I shot at the max size 1920x1080, 30fps. Obviously until I get an upgraded PC, I will have to reduce the parameters. I know your computer won't have that problem. :D

It sure was a nice sharp (spluttering) image though. But again you are better to talk to people who know video

Did you see these samples of Canon 7D on Vimeo?

I really impressed - quality of a picture as in a commercial movie.

Ocean

http://www.vimeo.com/6992078

(Stunning colors, no color correction during editing)

Forest

http://www.vimeo.com/7023115

Autumn

http://www.vimeo.com/7011771

(Stunning colors, no color correction during editing)

Apparently we must hurry with implementing of video clips into slideshows.

Dom

Do you think you will buy it ?

It looks like the best candidate for me at the moment, however I am in no hurry so will probably wait until after Xmas. More user reviews will be available then, also I think it will get a little cheaper.

Yes.

Igor

Thanks for the extra links to examples. Glad you were impressed by the 7D.

Apparently we must hurry with implementing of video clips into slideshows.

For me it is a second priority update to PTE.

First is the audio adjustments implemented in PTE that you have promised us. smile.gif

To be honest, I'm a little bit mono maniac and I read previews, reviews, tests and watch videos shot with this DSLR for a week now.

This camera seems really very good, even if the noise is not as good as the Canon 5D Mark II but this one is about 3.000 € (and 1.700 € for the 7D).

Here is a interesting video review :

Thanks for the video you mentionned Igor.

I agree, I think the ability to insert video clips is one of the first priorities to implement in PTE to attract new clients.

I think I made my decision...

I will buy it.:)

I am really impressed with the night tests I saw (photo and video).

But now, I am wondering what lens to choose and I am considering to buy the superzoom Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II

It has a nice review on dpreview.com ( http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15 ) :

• Build quality 7.5
  • Ergonomics & handling 8.0
  • Features 9.0
  • Image quality 7.5
  • Value 7.0

Recommended

It has even a better review than the Canon IS 18-200 mm

Of course, this superzoom (like the others) can't be perfect with such a large range and has negative points. It will suffer the comparison with specialized lenses.

But for a start and for universal use, because it's versatile and can be a all-in-one travel lens, I hope it's a good choice.

As I was a bridge user, I like the idea of not having to remove the lens in dusty environments. And I wish to travel light.

JRR, could you please tell me what lens(es) do you use ?

I think I made my decision...

I will buy it.:)

I am really impressed with the night tests I saw (photo and video).

But now, I am wondering what lens to choose and I am considering to buy the superzoom Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II

It has a nice review on dpreview.com ( http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15 ) :

• Build quality 7.5
  • Ergonomics & handling 8.0
  • Features 9.0
  • Image quality 7.5
  • Value 7.0

Recommended

It has even a better review than the Canon IS 18-200 mm

Of course, this superzoom (like the others) can't be perfect with such a large range and has negative points. It will suffer the comparison with specialized lenses.

But for a start and for universal use, because it's versatile and can be a all-in-one travel lens, I hope it's a good choice.

As I was a bridge user, I like the idea of not having to remove the lens in dusty environments. And I wish to travel light.

JRR, could you please tell me what lens(es) do you use ?

Dom:

Most of my shooting is Nature (Wildlife or Macro) as well as some scenery and occasionally people.

All my lenses are Canon (that I have acquired over the past 2-5 years):

10-22mm (EFS lens, can not be used on full frame cameras)

24-105mm (L lens)

100mm macro (I am thinking of buying the 60mm EFS macro in its place)

70-300mm (don't get the 75-300mm it is an inferior lens)

100-400mm (L lens)

plus a set of non-Canon extension tubes.

The 24-105mm tends to be my main lens for around town, point and shoot etc.

For nature shooting (birds/animals) I use the 100-400/70-300mm and the macro.

I don't have experience with the 18-270mm Tamron, but an "all in one" lens like that would be nice as you say.

I tend to put the 100-400mm or the 70-300mm lens on one body and the 24-105mm lens on another body if I think I am going to be changing lenses frequently. Saves time and keeps dust off the sensor. Plus ensures I have my back-up body with me.

That gives me the same range (and more) as the 28-270mm, but at more weight and cost !!

Dom

Just back from a week down on our south coast shooting a job for 2 days and the rest of the time doing my own thing. Hope to have an AV to post once I get work out of the way.

Pleased you have made a decision on a camera.

My current lens set is as follows, all Canon---

10-22mm (EF-S lens) same as Jim (JRR). This is a truly great lens and so cheap, one of the best kept Canon secrets.

18-55mm (EF-S lens). I am not really happy with this one. The telephoto end is too short and the image quality is just OK. I am looking at the new Canon EF-S 15-85mm as a replacement.

60mm macro (EF-S) I am very happy with this lens also. Great for portraits as well as macro.

70-300mm I agree with Jim this is a much better lens than the 75-300mm.

... I think I will buy the Tamron 18-270 first and will purchase others later ...

Here the conclusion from "www.photozone.de/canon-eos/412-tamron_18270_3563vc_canon":

All-in-all the lens may be a tad better than Canon's 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS but if you're looking for high image quality rather than convenience you should look elsewhere.

Regards,

Xaver

Too late, I just ordered the canon eos 7d and the tamron 18-270mm about... 5 minutes ago ! :lol:

It's really true.

I already read this article on photozone.de but thank you anyway.

Actually, I think I read almost everything I could find on the internet about this DSLR and this lens.

Too late, I just ordered the canon eos 7d and the tamron 18-270mm about... 5 minutes ago ! :lol:

It's really true. I already read this article on photozone.de but thank you anyway ...

I hope that you will be happy with your 2-star lens (2 out of 5, sub-average in the true sense) :D

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Xaver,

I think it's all relative (lens rating) when it comes to extreme zoom lenses. If pixel peeping, there are obvious deficiencies in nearly all long zoom lenses, but for use in relatively low resolution (1080p) video, these issues are mostly moot. Even the sub-average rating zooms such as the Tamron, Canon and even Nikon are magnitudes better in most ways than the lenses you get with camcorders in my experience. I suspect that the Tamron will do just fine for the intended purpose.

Best regards,

Lin

I hope that you will be happy with your 2-star lens (2 out of 5, sub-average in the true sense) :D

Regards,

Xaver

I received the "precious" today.

The battery is loading right now.

Just wanted to share my excitement. :)

Xaver, I am completely aware of the limitation of my your 2-star lens.

I read tons and tons of articles about it.

But as I said, I consider it as a start and a all-in-one travel lens.

Furthermore, I think a lens "recommnded" by dpreview shouldn't be so bad.

Anyway, I will let you know what I think. :)

I received the "precious" today.

The battery is loading right now.

Just wanted to share my excitement. :)

Xaver, I am completely aware of the limitation of my your 2-star lens.

I read tons and tons of articles about it.

But as I said, I consider it as a start and a all-in-one travel lens.

Furthermore, I think a lens "recommnded" by dpreview shouldn't be so bad.

Anyway, I will let you know what I think. :)

Dom:

I am looking forward to your creations with the new "toy" both in still and video photographs. I suspect that Igor will be bring video clips to PTE sooner than he had perhaps originally planned on.

I am afraid I will have to wait.

There was a big spot on the viewfinder (but not on the pictures).

I am afraid it's dust on the prism because there was nothing on the mirror.

I send the camera back for the garantee to be applied.

I will be able to play with my new toy only in 10/15 days. :(