WnSoft Forums

Getting pictures out of a exe

Wrecked

Hi guys

Im having some trouble getting some pictures out of a exe file. I can view the pictures with MultiExtractor trial version, and if I pay 50 euro I can get a version that will allow me to save the pictures.

I really wouldn't want to spend so much money on it, so I would like to know if there is a free alternative?

It seems like the utillity restorePTE.exe might do the job, but I can't find the download link anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

I think that this is the utility that you want.

RestorePTE.zipRestorePTE.zip

Ron West

Thanks to both of you!

Although MultiExtractor seems to work better by getting the pictures out at full resolution, and much faster than screen-capture programs.

Are there any other utils besides MultiExtractor, that will allow to directly saving the pictures without making scrrendumps?

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

Are you trying to recover only lost images from some disaster hard drive crash contained in old executable PTE files, or do you want to recover image from current PTE files?

"IF" you are trying to recover images from older PTE files then a utility like MultiExtractor will work for jpg format. If you intend to try to recover images from current PTE files which have been protected (there is a choice in the menu) you will be out of luck because MultiExtractor will "Not" work on these protected executable files.

If your intent is to try to recover images from other peoples slideshows made with current PTE software, you're not going to be able to get more than screen dumps because the files are easily protected from theft by the show's creator with very sophisticated encryption algorithms which defeat reverse engineering tools like MultiExtractor. MultiExtractor can't even recover PNG files from unencrypted older PTE executables made before protection was available.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Jimmy,

Are you trying to recover only lost images from some disaster hard drive crash contained in old executable PTE files, or do you want to recover image from current PTE files?

"IF" you are trying to recover images from older PTE files then a utility like MultiExtractor will work for jpg format. If you intend to try to recover images from current PTE files which have been protected (there is a choice in the menu) you will be out of luck because MultiExtractor will "Not" work on these protected executable files.

If your intent is to try to recover images from other peoples slideshows made with current PTE software, you're not going to be able to get more than screen dumps because the files are easily protected from theft by the show's creator with very sophisticated encryption algorithms which defeat reverse engineering tools like MultiExtractor. MultiExtractor can't even recover PNG files from unencrypted older PTE executables made before protection was available.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi there Lin!

The MultiExtracter demo version I downloaded shows all the pictures from the file just fine, and also shows the original resolution. There is just no export/save option in the demo version. I figure the full version would work then?

If I were to grap all the pictures in the resolution used in the .exe file, I would have to get a new monitor with a greater resolution, and then it would still be a lot of work cutting the edges and saving as jpg etc. so I rather find an easier way.

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

MultiExtractor will extract jpg images from old PTE files, and new ones which do not have the "View" "Advanced Options" "Crypt Images/Music against extracting from EXE file" checked. If this is checked, MultiExtractor is useless. If any of the files in PTE old or new are PNG, MultiExtractor will not extract them.

If you only have one slideshow you are trying to recover, I have high resolution devices and can recover them for you up to nine megapixel resolution if you post a link to the executable. What I'm trying to convey is that you would be wasting your money on MultiExtractor if you believe it will help you extract images in the future from PTE shows which have been protected against extraction.

Just email me and give me a link to your exe file and I will recover the original images for you if it's only one or two shows.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Jimmy,

MultiExtractor will extract jpg images from old PTE files, and new ones which do not have the "View" "Advanced Options" "Crypt Images/Music against extracting from EXE file" checked. If this is checked, MultiExtractor is useless. If any of the files in PTE old or new are PNG, MultiExtractor will not extract them.

If you only have one slideshow you are trying to recover, I have high resolution devices and can recover them for you up to nine megapixel resolution if you post a link to the executable. What I'm trying to convey is that you would be wasting your money on MultiExtractor if you believe it will help you extract images in the future from PTE shows which have been protected against extraction.

Just email me and give me a link to your exe file and I will recover the original images for you if it's only one or two shows.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Many thanks for your kind offer. However, I think I have found a way to hook up my laptop to my full HD plasma TV, and that way be able to make screendumps at full resolution.

Let me get back to you if Im not sucessfull.

Thanks

Jimmy