WnSoft Forums

HD Slideshows: Burning your mp4 files to disk

Carol Steele

Although I am using Pinnacle to author my disks, I realise that many people will not wish to go to the expense of something like Pinnacle Studio 14, so I have been trying out various other software.

The one that I like, Sothink HD Movie Maker, is available on a 30 day free trial and if you like it, it is fairly cheap at just $35 (around £22.50). It is incredibly easy to use and the video quality is excellent. Unfortunately I have been experiencing glitches with the audio and I have contacted their technical support team about this. Unfortunately at the time of writing, their offices are closed until February 22 due to national holidays, so I don't expect an answer very soon. However, it is certainly worth downloading the trial version to test it out for a month.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I received a reply back from their Technical Support people - despite the fact that their business was shut down for the Chinese Spring Holdays. Great credit is due to them for this and the very friendly and helpful nature of the email which I got.

They sent me a link to a different version of the software, which after uninstalling the previous version and then installing the new one solved the audio problem completely. The problem was due to incompatibility with some of the Microsoft installed codecs in Windows 7 x64 Professional. On launch the program sensibly asked me if I wanted to temporarily disable the incompatible codecs, which I allowed, and this solved the problem. The really nice thing about the program is that it will allow me to go back and re-enable those codecs should I have problems with other programs which depend on them.

This program is neat and elegant in the way it works with a simple interface which takes a lot of the burden of deciding what options to choose out of the loop. For instance, if you opt for output onto a DVD it will automatically create the correct AVCHD format files for burning to disk and will again automatically decide the correct bitrate so that all the video which you have elected put on the disk will fit on the disk. It has options for burning to standard DVD (DVD-5), DL DVD (DVD-9), BD 25GB and BD 50GB. During the encoding phase, the program will use as many cores as your cpu has - so will encode up to 8 mp4 files simultaneously, but you can override this in the options panel should you so wish and tell it how many cores you want the program to use (I have attached a screen grab of the program in use).

If you have a blank disk in your drive it will automatically write the files to the disk and once finished, it asks you if you wish to burn another disk- if you don't want it too, it automatically cleans up after itself and deletes the files it created. If you decide you want to write the disk yourself, simply don't put a disk in the drive, the program then creates the files needed to burn to the disk and can using something like ImgBurn to create your ISO image file which you can then burn to disk when you want to.

The AVCHD DVD disks which the program creates works extremely well with the mp4 files from Pictures to Exe generated slideshows and so I would really recommend out to try it out as you can do so with their 30 day free trial. During the trial the only caveat is that each video included in the final will be limited to just 5 minutes duration.

post-67-126632403494_thumb.png

...The AVCHD DVD disks which the program creates works extremely well with the mp4 files from Pictures to Exe generated slideshows and so I would really recommend out to try it out as you can do so with their 30 day free trial...

================

Carol...

I am striking out. I can't get MultiAVCHD to work. And now I tried SoThink and I can't get it to recognize my files. I tried a PTE MP4 file and I got "Failed to add..." error message. I then tried an AVI file and got the same result.

Not sure what is going on. I have Win7.

Gary

Carol,

Am trying the Sothink software but am having the same problem as Gary at the moment.

Gary,

Please let me know if you solve the problem.

Ron

Hi guys,

I initially had a problem, but it only ever occurred when using more than one file (it would say 'Failed'), if I then cancelled and retried it it generally worked. However using the new version which they sent me a link to, this never showed the problem.

Gary - I've sent you a PM.

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your efforts with the beta testing.It's appreciated,along with your advice.

The SoThink software looks simple yet capable.Are you able to create a menu with it?

If so,is this a fairly easy thing,or is it a fairly involved process?

Davy

Hi Davy,

No luck with menus to date, so I have another support request in to their Technical Support about this. I just hope that they reply soon because officially they are closed for the Chinese Spring Holiday (I think it is a Hong Kong based outfit).

Hi guys,

I initially had a problem, but it only ever occurred when using more than one file (it would say 'Failed'), if I then cancelled and retried it it generally worked. However using the new version which they sent me a link to, this never showed the problem.

Gary - I've sent you a PM.

====================

Carol,

Thanks for the PM. I tried it (1.2 build 90818) but got the same errors. I happened to also download the SoThink Video Converter 3.0 and it too, gives me the same "Failed to add..." error message when I try to add an MP4 or an AVI file.

Gary

====================

Carol,

Thanks for the PM. I tried it (1.2 build 90818) but got the same errors. I happened to also download the SoThink Video Converter 3.0 and it too, gives me the same "Failed to add..." error message when I try to add an MP4 or an AVI file.

Gary

Hmm, I've tried the newer version with mp4 files from both Pinnacle Studio and Pictures to Exe and haven't experienced any problems. The fact that this software and MultiAVCHD are giving you problems would tend to suggest that your mp4 files are 'odd'. If you double click on one of them, does it play back in Windows Media Player OK (I think you mentioned you were on Windows 7, so it should play back fine in the version of WMP which shipped with W7).

Other than that, can you remember the parameters which you used when you created the mp4 file in P2E??

Hmm, I've tried the newer version with mp4 files from both Pinnacle Studio and Pictures to Exe and haven't experienced any problems. The fact that this software and MultiAVCHD are giving you problems would tend to suggest that your mp4 files are 'odd'. If you double click on one of them, does it play back in Windows Media Player OK (I think you mentioned you were on Windows 7, so it should play back fine in the version of WMP which shipped with W7).

Other than that, can you remember the parameters which you used when you created the mp4 file in P2E??

================

Hi Carol,

My MP4s play fine on my WMP and on my Media Player Classic programs.

The MP4s that I have tried were created in PTE at 16x9, HD 1920x1080 HQ, Pan and Scan=No.

Hope this helps.

Thanks... Gary

================

Hi Carol,

My MP4s play fine on my WMP and on my Media Player Classic programs.

The MP4s that I have tried were created in PTE at 16x9, HD 1920x1080 HQ, Pan and Scan=No.

Hope this helps.

Thanks... Gary

Try turning Pan&Scan on and then

I would try re-encoding with custom settings:-

Resolution 1920x1080

2 pass -bitrate set at 12000Kbits/sec

25p

Audio:256Kbits/sec and 48000

Also did you get a warning about incompatible codecs when you launched the new version of HDMM?? The incompatible codecs which were found on my system were the ones incorporated in Windows 7. If you didn't see this warning and have a look in the Options - this is where you can disable them.

Instead of creating an mp4 file in PTE, create an AVI file and then add this to the Sothink software and see what you think of the quality.

It might be that the mp4 file created with PTE is causing the problem.

Ron

Update:

I did as I suggested above and creted an AVI, then added it to Sothink and burned a a DVD. The resulting file was AVCHD and the video quality was excellent when played on my Blu-Ray player BUT there was no sound. Back to the drawing board!

Ron

Try turning Pan&Scan on and then

I would try re-encoding with custom settings:-

Resolution 1920x1080

2 pass -bitrate set at 12000Kbits/sec

25p

Audio:256Kbits/sec and 48000

Also did you get a warning about incompatible codecs when you launched the new version of HDMM?? The incompatible codecs which were found on my system were the ones incorporated in Windows 7. If you didn't see this warning and have a look in the Options - this is where you can disable them.

==================

Carol...

I re-created the MP4 with the Custom settings above. I got the same error message when I tried to Add the file in SoThink HD Movie Maker. I looked in the Options menu and it does have 2 codecs that it has listed as incompatible, the MS DTV-DVD Audio and Video Decoder.

Gary

==================

Carol...

I re-created the MP4 with the Custom settings above. I got the same error message when I tried to Add the file in SoThink HD Movie Maker. I looked in the Options menu and it does have 2 codecs that it has listed as incompatible, the MS DTV-DVD Audio and Video Decoder.

Gary

Make sure they are both disabled - because it asked me if I wanted to disable them and I greed to this, when I went in to look, they were both unchecked (you have to read the text carefully - I think if they are both checked you need to uncheck them - I'm on a different computer at the moment)

Make sure they are both disabled - because it asked me if I wanted to disable them and I greed to this, when I went in to look, they were both unchecked (you have to read the text carefully - I think if they are both checked you need to uncheck them - I'm on a different computer at the moment)

============

Carol,

Yes, they were both unchecked, therefore disabled. When I installed my first version, it did ask to disable incompatible codecs and I accepted it. I removed that program before I install your version. But your version did not ask...apparently it was done with the first version.

Gary

============

Carol,

Yes, they were both unchecked, therefore disabled. When I installed my first version, it did ask to disable incompatible codecs and I accepted it. I removed that program before I install your version. But your version did not ask...apparently it was done with the first version.

Gary

Not sure where to go from here then Gary, I have attached a screen shot of my advanced settings (at the moment as a test I re-enabled those MS video/audio codecs and I'm cobbling 12 mp4 files together with no failures). Your advanced settings might differ. For Europe etc we are using a PAL system which defaults to 25fps and the original mp4 files which I made were done at this setting and I have therefore made sure my advanced settings reflect this. However it shouldn't matter as the program should re-encode the mp4 files to whatever you put in that box. I have also opted for Pan&Scan in the zoom box (I had letterbox as the default previously) and it is still converting without a problem.

There is something on your system which is stopping the encoding, try temporarily turning off:-

1. Your firewall (do a check) ....... if it still doesn't work

2. Your anti-virus program .................

3. Any resident anti-malware programs

You're not running Norton by any chance are you???

post-67-126636552698_thumb.png

Not sure where to go from here then Gary, I have attached a screen shot of my advanced settings (at the moment as a test I re-enabled those MS video/audio codecs and I'm cobbling 12 mp4 files together with no failures). Your advanced settings might differ. For Europe etc we are using a PAL system which defaults to 25fps and the original mp4 files which I made were done at this setting and I have therefore made sure my advanced settings reflect this. However it shouldn't matter as the program should re-encode the mp4 files to whatever you put in that box. I have also opted for Pan&Scan in the zoom box (I had letterbox as the default previously) and it is still converting without a problem.

There is something on your system which is stopping the encoding, try temporarily turning off:-

1. Your firewall (do a check) ....... if it still doesn't work

2. Your anti-virus program .................

3. Any resident anti-malware programs

You're not running Norton by any chance are you???

============

Carol...

I don't like the automatic Pan&Scan in PTE. When using 16x9, I prefer to manually zoom in on each image (losing portions the top and bottom of the image) so I can individually pick and choose what portion of the image I show or not show. So I keep Pan&Scan off.

I use Windows7's firewall and BitDefender antivirus. If it don't work with these on, the I's rather not use the program. No resident anti-malware program and not running Norton.

I think I'll just step to the sidelines for now to see what others come up with.

Thanks for your help. Gary

MY CONCLUSION

After carrying out many tests (and burning the midnight oil on a few occasions) with the various software mentioned in this thread, I have reached a conclusion that I will stay with PTE and Nero Vision in order to produce my AVCHD dvd's.

I found that both 'Multi AVCHD' and the 'Sothink' software were much to fussy and often did not work for me whereas 'Nero Vision' worked every time and produced excellent quality of both vido and audio. It also created acceptable menu's when adding a number of separate mp4's for authoring.

I needed to configure things carefully, in both PTE and in Nero and I will be writing a pdf on just how I did things a little later. If anybody would like a copy of this pdf, please contact me by email.

I have found this thread to be an excellent learning ground and I offer my thanks to Carol, Davy and Goddi for steering me in the right directction.

Regards,

Ron

MY CONCLUSION

After carrying out many tests (and burning the midnight oil on a few occasions) with the various software mentioned in this thread, I have reached a conclusion that I will stay with PTE and Nero Vision in order to produce my AVCHD dvd's.

I found that both 'Multi AVCHD' and the 'Sothink' software were much to fussy and often did not work for me whereas 'Nero Vision' worked every time and produced excellent quality of both vido and audio. It also created acceptable menu's when adding a number of separate mp4's for authoring.

I needed to configure things carefully, in both PTE and in Nero and I will be writing a pdf on just how I did things a little later. If anybody would like a copy of this pdf, please contact me by email.

I have found this thread to be an excellent learning ground and I offer my thanks to Carol, Davy and Goddi for steering me in the right directction.

Regards,

Ron

===================

Greetings,

I just found that MultiAVCHD came out with an updated version 4.0. I gave it a try. I did not receive any errors that stopped the processing of an PTE MP4.

I created the AVCHD output and it does play with Media Player Classic...but, again, not on my JVC DVD player which is suppose to play this format.

I also created the HD output but I couldn't get the files to play. When I tried to play the Video_TS.IFO file, I got an error message that showed it was having a problem with the 'ffdshow' file. Nor will it play in my Blu-ray player.

So, I have made progress but the outputs from MultiAVCH still do not work for me.

multiAVCHD 4.0 build 731

[17/02/2010] build 731 - Version 4.0. Motion menu, background audio, 8 pages x 12 chapters, Audio/Subtitles setup menu and a lot more.

http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/

http://www.videohelp.com/download/multiAVCHD_4.0.exe

Gary

Hi Gary,

I think you have a misconception about what "pan and scan" is. Please read this:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Pan_and_scan

Best regards,

Lin

I don't like the automatic Pan&Scan in PTE. When using 16x9, I prefer to manually zoom in on each image (losing portions the top and bottom of the image) so I can individually pick and choose what portion of the image I show or not show. So I keep Pan&Scan off.

Hi Gary,

I think you have a misconception about what "pan and scan" is. Please read this:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Pan_and_scan

Best regards,

Lin

========================

Lin…

Thanks for the link. I may or may not understand Pan & Scan (P&S) but I haven’t found it useful.

When I use P&S on a 4:3 aspect ratio setting, the image is automatically cropped at the top and bottom. You have no control over what is lost.

I have been moving to using 16x9 aspect ratio. If I choose this format and then use P&S, I get black borders all around.

If I choose 16x9 and manually zoom-in on each image individually in O&A (so the left and right edges fill the 16x9 format, I will lose some of the image at the top and bottom. But at least now I have the option of moving the image up or down while in O&A to regain the more important portion of the image. When I do this, I turn the P&S off and it plays as I expect, with no black boarders. But, then, I now notice that the results are the same with the above settings with P&S on or off.

From what I saw in your link about Pan and Scan, it seem that it really is applied when the original images are in widescreen and you want to reduce them to fit the 4:3 TV aspect ratio. So I guess I am still confused as to why P&S’s default is ‘on’.

So it seems to me, if you want to eliminate the black boarders, you (or at least I) have to zoom-in each image in O&A. And then the P&S setting does not affect the results. With this, the PTE show fills my LED TV, edge to edge.

What am I missing????

Gary