WnSoft Forums

Samsung HD TVs that play PTE's MP4 files...

goddi

Greetings,

I have a Samsung LED TV that will play the PTE's MP4 format directly from a USB device. You don't need a PC or a WD Media Player (which I also have and it works great). You only need a USB flash drive or any other USB device. However, I noticed that my MP4 files were not being recognized when I tried to play them on a friend's plasma TV. So I tried to find out which other Samsung TVs would recognize PTE's MP4 files. It took some digging around but I finally got an answer directly from Samsung. For those planning on getting a new HD TV and would like this neat feature, here is what they just sent to me about their HD TVs:

"The units listed below will offer MP4 video playback from either a USB device or from your PC.

LCD: LN26C450 through LN46C750

LED: ALL LED TVs

Plasma: PN50C530 through PN63C8000."

I had no idea that my TV would be able to do this. It was a nice surprise. Hope this information is of help to someone.

Gary

Gary,

It seems that plasma TV display doesn't recognize H.264 format or doesn't play H.264 video with B-frames technology.

Please create a MP4 video file using "iPhone" preset in PicturesToExe, then choose "Show more options" and set custom resolution 1280x720. Will this file play on your friend's plasma TV?

(iPhone preset doesn't use B-frames).

Gary,

It seems that plasma TV display doesn't recognize H.264 format or doesn't play H.264 video with B-frames technology.

Please create a MP4 video file using "iPhone" preset in PicturesToExe, then choose "Show more options" and set custom resolution 1280x720. Will this file play on your friend's plasma TV?

======================

Igor,

My friend is out of town but I will do the test as soon as I can get to him.

Gary

Many Samsung TVs from the series 6, 7 and 8 (LCD, LED, Plasma), that are offered in Germany, have the label "USB 2.0 Movie". They include a media player playing avi, mkv, mp4, asf, wmv and other types of videos, in particular H.264 BP, MP, and HP are supported. This media player works well, but it does not like mp4 videos created with PTE for PC, as it does not support full range videos; see also my suggestion here.

Regards,

Xaver

• 3 months later...

Gary,

===============

Igor,

Sorry it has taken so long to respond. Either I was traveling or my friend was traveling. I finally was able to test out your request on his plasma TV.

I created an MP4 video file using the 'iPhone preset', as you stated. I tried to play the show from a thumbdrive (flashdrive) directly inserted into the USB port of his plasma TV. It did not recognize the file. Maybe it does not recognize any video file.

I then tried to play it using my 'WD media player' box and it was plugged into the same USB port and it did play just fine.

Gary

• 10 months later...

Hi Gary!

"I have a Samsung LED TV that will play the PTE's MP4 format directly from a USB device."

How did you make the MP4-file? HD Video for PC and Mac? :huh:

/Lennart

Hi Lennart,

That's how I do it. I just use "Create...HD Video for PC and Mac" and choose the Preset that suits the aspect ratio and size of the sequence, then choose the Quality level that I want, click "Convert" and go make a cup of coffee, go for a walk, prepare a meal or whatever while the software does its thing. Then I simply copy the file onto a USB memory device and plug it in to the USB port on the TV.

regards,

Peter

Hi Lennart,

That's how I do it. I just use "Create...HD Video for PC and Mac" and choose the Preset that suits the aspect ratio and size of the sequence, then choose the Quality level that I want, click "Convert" and go make a cup of coffee, go for a walk, prepare a meal or whatever while the software does its thing. Then I simply copy the file onto a USB memory device and plug it in to the USB port on the TV.

regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Well, I did that yesterday, but became confused as I checked the result in running the show on my computer.

The show opened up in Windows Media Player and I soon found there was an out if sync re. the sound.

Running it in Nero Show Time it was all OK.

My MP3-sound was 22500 Hz as I have some mixed tracks with different sample rates.

However, tomorrow I will test on a Sony Bravia widescreen after Alonso have won the British Grand Prix. :rolleyes:

For now, I will resample the sound to 44100 Hz and see what happens. While it´s running I am going down the pub

and watch my local football team win another lousy game... ;)

/Lennart

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks Peter!

Well, I did that yesterday, but became confused as I checked the result in running the show on my computer.

The show opened up in Windows Media Player and I soon found there was an out if sync re. the sound.

Running it in Nero Show Time it was all OK.

My MP3-sound was 22500 Hz as I have some mixed tracks with different sample rates.

However, tomorrow I will test on a Sony Bravia widescreen after Alonso have won the British Grand Prix. :rolleyes:

For now, I will resample the sound to 44100 Hz and see what happens. While it´s running I am going down the pub

and watch my local football team win another lousy game... ;)

/Lennart

Hi Lennart

Your spelling is lousy you spelled Button's name as Alonso :rolleyes:

Regards Eric

PS been away for a few days so I recorded today's practice, I'm try to avoid finding out who's on pole until I watch it.

Sony TVs play H.264 MPEG4 video from PTE brilliantly.

For anyone thinking of upgrading their TV specifically for this purpose I would advise taking a KEY with you with a PTE H.264 MPEG4 video on it and asking the salesperson to demo it.

I've tried all sorts of different settings and it's never failed to play.

DG

Thank you, guys.

For Eric, I can asure you the polesitter is not my alltime favorite Tazio Nuvolari. :lol:

The game went all down the drain - 0-0. As usual nowadays.

Tomorrow, I will check out my MP4-compilation.

/Lennart

Lennart,

I just tried to reply but it did not seem to get posted. Let me try again:

Yes, I just use the "HD(1920x1080)-Low Quality". I also DISable the "Pan & Scan" choice. I think I do this out of habit. I don't think it makes a difference at this aspect ratio--maybe it does at another aspect ratio (I forget).

The MP4 file plays just great on my Samsung model!!!.

Gary

=======================

Hi Gary!

"I have a Samsung LED TV that will play the PTE's MP4 format directly from a USB device."

How did you make the MP4-file? HD Video for PC and Mac? :huh:

/Lennart

Report.

Well, Eric, the race went the right way, but the TV-set don´t like me. :(

The Sony did not find/read my file. So back to square One.

I have now made a new .MP4-file with the Low quality setting (down from High quality).

Next race is in Germany in two weeks time and then I will give the Sony a new chance... :rolleyes:

/Lennart

I quote from Wikipedia:

'MPEG-4 is method of defining compression of audio and visual (AV) digital data. It was introduced in late 1998 and designated a standard for a group of audio and video coding formats and related technology agreed upon by the ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11) under the formal standard ISO/IEC 14496 - Coding of audio-visual objects. Uses of MPEG-4 include compression of AV data for web (streaming media) and CD distribution, voice (telephone, videophone) and broadcast television applications. MPEG-4 provides a large and rich set of tools for encoding. Subsets of the MPEG-4 tool sets have been provided for use in specific applications. These subsets, called 'Profiles', limit the size of the tool set a decoder is required to implement.[1] In order to restrict computational complexity, one or more 'Levels' are set for each Profile.[1] A Profile and Level combination allows:[1]

1 A codec builder to implement only the subset of the standard needed, while maintaining interworking with other MPEG-4 devices that implement the same combination.[1]

2 Checking whether MPEG-4 devices comply with the standard, referred to as conformance testing.[1]

MPEG-4 consists of several standards—termed "parts"—including the following: (Each part covers a certain aspect of the whole specification.)' [A long list follows.]

I would conclude that MPEG-4 (MP4 is a misnomer which refers to a player?)is capable of being used for editing and saved ('exported') at different resolutions. It is known and acknowledged by Igor that H-264 compression is extremely demanding on computer capacity. Empirically this is confirmed by my own experiments whereby the video file at H264 only shows a green screen in PTE.

Now I converted from VideoPad Video Editor at MPEG4-Native rather than H264, as Igor suggested. The video file played perfectly in PTE and in combination with still images (auto fade from video to stills and stills to video). The specification is now HD 1920x1080 HD 1080p, File Format .avi, Frame Rate 25.00 TV PAL, Video Compressor MPEG4 (Native), Sound Format MP3 up to 44100HZ with no playback problems.

I don't deny that H-264 will work on some members' computers and on their HD TV's when connected via HDMI cable. However, for those having playback problems with files saved using H-264, it is well worth trying MPEG4 (Native)compression at the point of saving (exporting) their file. :)

... MP4 is a misnomer which refers to a player ...

MP4 is a video container format, like AVI, MKV, etc. An MP4 container typically includes a video encoded according to MPEG-4 Part 2, MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC/H.264)), MPEG-2, or MPEG-1. I have a Samsung TV with an internal media player, as well. I export my PTE sequences as MP4-videos encoded with Xvid (MPEG-4 Part 2) which run better than those encoded according to H.264.

Regards,

Xaver

My settings for the Sony TV which give perfect results (almost as good as the EXE).

Preset: Custom

Resolution: 1920x1080

fps: 24p

Mode: Two passes-bitrate

Bitrate: 10000

Audio: 128 / 44100 / Auto.

Question for the experts: Which setting would improve the quality?

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Report.

Well, Eric, the race went the right way, but the TV-set don´t like me. :(

The Sony did not find/read my file. So back to square One.

I have now made a new .MP4-file with the Low quality setting (down from High quality).

Next race is in Germany in two weeks time and then I will give the Sony a new chance... :rolleyes:

/Lennart

Hi Lennart

Button was robbed, stupid wheel gun & paddle man, sacking job I think.

Talking about the Nurburgring, we had a coach holiday in Germany some years ago, one of the highlights was a trip around the old course in the coach, (48 seater). There were motor cyclists falling off all over the place, I was on the back seat sliding around all over the place as the driver drifted around the corners, Happy days.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1 ;)

Thanks Xaver,

I will try some experiments with the fps.

Regarding the Audio Bit Rate: No one is fussier than I when it comes to Audio Quality.

My current project uses an MP3 which is 256kbps (I have 500Gb of music at 256kbps) but when it came to creating the MPEG4 I allowed the conversation to take place at 128kbps.

My aging ears can't tell the difference between the original MP3 quality and the MPEG4 audio quality.

If it does not increase the file size excessively I should use 256kbps - I will try it.

DG

Dave

see another view re bit rate for voice

ken

http://aldoblog.com/audiobooks/itunes/import-settings/

If You Have “Audiophile” Ears

The import settings described above essentially mimic the audio quality which is provided by Audible.com’s highest quality (and largest) audio files. Those files are digitized in a single mono channel at 32 kbps with a 22 kHz sample rate. This is a huge step down from the quality of audio on standard Audio CDs.

For most people and most audiobooks, this drop in the overall level of quality will not be perceptible, or only barely, because spoken word doesn’t need the same “resolution” as music to sound good. I’ve done listening tests in my quiet office, and while I’m sure there must be a difference, I can’t really hear it when the sound is strictly spoken voice.

But if you have very sensitive ears, or perhaps are hard of hearing, the drop in audio quality may be more apparent, to the point where it is irritating or grating. I have certainly heard that feedback from a small but non-trivial portion of readers. (I wish my hearing was that good!)

If you are blessed with such acute hearing, or if an audiobook has significant passages of music, audio effects, or stereo (perhaps in a book with multiple readers), you may want to import your audiobooks at a higher quality setting, and trade disk space for better sound.

What should those settings be? It depends on your ears. My recommended settings import audio in mono, at a bit rate of 32 kbps with a sample rate of 22 kHz. The Apple iTunes Store originally delivered music in stereo at a bit rate of 128 kbps and a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, which is not coincidentally the default import setting for iTunes and the AAC encoder.

If music from the iTunes Store sounds fine to you, then you could import with the default settings. Or you could experiment, splitting the difference in the bit rate, and see if it still sounds good to you. You can also choose to go with mono or stereo, depending on the audiobook (keeping in mind that mono AAC tracks seem to be able to crash an iPod on occasion). Mono tracks will normally be half the size of stereo tracks.

Unfortunately even in the Custom settings dialog, iTunes doesn’t give you direct control of the sample rate; you can only usefully choose 44.1 kHz, though the Auto setting will, combined with other settings, result in a 32.000 kHz sample rate, for reasons which are mysterious to me.

If you do decide to experiment, I would be very interested in hearing what settings you finally settle on, and some qualitative comments on the differences you hear.

MP4 is a video container format, like AVI, MKV, etc. An MP4 container typically includes a video encoded according to MPEG-4 Part 2, MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC/H.264)), MPEG-2, or MPEG-1. I have a Samsung TV with an internal media player, as well. I export my PTE sequences as MP4-videos encoded with Xvid (MPEG-4 Part 2) which run better than those encoded according to H.264.

Regards,

Xaver

Thanks, Xaver. An interesting link in Wikipedia is their Comparison of container formats. It says - 'Video formats supported: AVI - Almost anything through VFW; H.264/AVC is problematic due to the limited B-frame support. (B‑frames can use both previous and forward frames for data reference to get the highest amount of data compression.)'

This statement about H.264 supports several members' experience and Igor's advice. I note that Dave Gee seems to have no problem with H.264. I do endorse, however, Dave's preferred native resolution: 1920x1080px, the standard for high end monitors, projectors, laptops (or 1920x1200) and TV's.

Robert,

I have now tried Xaver's suggestion for improving the quality of H.264 MPEG4 files on my Sony TV and have come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no benefit in raising the fps from 24 to 30 with my current show (1620x1080 superimposed on 1920x1080) which contains 3D animation (my photoframe and football).

Also, any benefit gained by setting the Audio Bit Rate to 256 is not evident to my ears.

My current project is 5 minutes + and the MPEG4 file size is 430Mb.

It plays perfectly and the quality is 98% of the quality available by playing the equivalent EXE through an HDMI connection from my laptop to my TV without the hassle of cables, laptop etc.

DG

Hi Dave

I think Xaver was just responding to your question which seemed to imply you were not satisfied with the quality you were getting on your Sony TV. My understanding is that 25 frames per second is the normal frame rate on European TV's (24fps in the USA). Incidentally, I shoot on the Canon 5D at 25fps with the shutter speed at 1/50th of a second. These are the normal recommended settings.

When you are not using an HDMI/laptop combination to show PTE .exe files on your TV, are you putting a memory stick straight into the TV via USB? Perhaps this would explain the missing 2% of image quality ?

I note Xaver's comment which accords with my experience: 'I export my PTE sequences as MP4-videos encoded with Xvid (MPEG-4 Part 2) which run better than those encoded according to H.264.'

In what programme are you editing your video ? It must be a good one (and a powerful computer) if you are able to play, edit and then export H.264 files, put them into PTE and then export from PTE as an .exe file which plays perfectly.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Just to clear up any possible misunderstanding, I am not importing H.264 video into PTE and exporting as H.264 MPEG4.

What I have been talking about is exporting normal PTE Projects as H.264 MPEG4 (typically 1Gb for 10 minutes). I have experimented with short low res video clips introduced into a project and edited from within PTE and they work fine.

Yes, I then use a USB memory stick (Kingston 16Gb) to play these in my TV's Media Player much as someone with a WD Player would except that, as I have said, the advantage of having no wires connecting TV to HDD etc is tremendous.

It could well be that this is introducing the (slight) drop in quality. I would prefer to think that it is the conversion process from PTE to H264 MPEG4 which is causing this (SLIGHT) difference that I perceive between the Video version and the Laptop/HDMI EXE version of the same show.

DG

P.S. I have also noticed that the resulting MPEG4 files play far smoother on my TV's Media Player than they do in MPC/QT on either of my computers.