WnSoft Forums

Monitor and PC for PTE, Photoshop + basic hd video editing

Philip Fennessy

Brian

Well, I suppose that explains it and I know feel a little less inadequate. :blink:

The Avatar image was done many moons ago by a friend in the very early days of digital and when I was retrieving images for a recent slide show called the Apprentice I found it. At the same time another friend (That's 2 friends I have) called me the Wizard of Oz. So I thought why not use it.:rolleyes:

I had intended to reply to your post in detail but Eric/Yachtman beat me to it

and to confirm what he wrote ~ I have contacted (off-Forum) 3 Members over the

past month concerning Win-7 Home Premium and its backward compatibility to older

32.Bit Programs and what a nightmare that is!

It's not a nightmare at all. Most of the time, it works fine. What problems are you having?

These are serious problems on 2 counts, see (a) and (B) below viz:-

a)

Over 98% of current Programs are 32.Bit and only 2% are genuine 64.Bit and of these

only Adobe-Acrobat and Flash-Player and some AntiV-Programs are available.

huh? Acrobat or Flash are 32 bit and they work fine on Win7 64bit. There is a developer preview of 64 bit Flash Player that came out a month ago, so a 64 bit Flash Player is coming soon. Photoshop has been 64 bit for a few years. There are plenty of other 64 bit apps with more of them every day.

B)

If you buy Win-7(Home) 64.Bit it needs to be installed running in 32.Bit Mode should

you want to run 32.Bit Programs. The alternative is to install it in 64.Bit but then you

will need to install 'Virtual-PC' or 'Virtual-Box' or partition the Hard-Drive and install

Xp-Sp3 there in ~ so you will end up with a Dual-Boot PC.

Not even close.

Well Crossfade,

Had you bothered to read the entire context of my Posts and the Replies and not "Jump the Gun" with

your critique, you would have realised that we were discussing 'Windows Home-Premium' and its

limitations in running 32.Bit Program when it had origionally been supplied in its 64.Bit Setup.

Suggest you browse Google about the subject ~ about 250,000 postings so far.

Concerning Programs ~I think you are confusing "64.Bit-Compatible Programs" versus "64.Bit Generic-Programs"

which are as different as chalk and cheese.

Furthermore if you have a solution for Gary concerning 'Scanner-Drivers' to run in a 64.Bit System why not let

us know about them instead of keeping that knowledge to yourself ~ thats what Forum Membership is all about,

helping fellow Members.....

Brian (Conflow)

Greetings,

I am not sure if I should post this here or in Brian's new Topic. But I did make a bit of headway into my scanner problem not working in my Win7 32bit PC. I searched in the Hardware Compatibility tab in the http://www.microsoft...ows/virtual-pc/ site. I was surprised to see that the HP Scanjet 4050 was listed as being compatible with the Windows XP Virtual PC Mode in 32bit and 64bit. So it looks like I might be able to get my scanner to actually work. However, I am having a problem getting through the WinXP Mode Setup process. After downloading the proper files, you have to click on the Windows XP Mode (in All Programs) and go through its setup. It keeps stopping me with "You do not have sufficient permissions to create or access c:\...\virtual machines\Windows XP Mode.vhd." I am the Administrator and have all the proper permissions. Not sure why this is happening.

So I am at the doorstep but can't get in, yet. I will keep trying once I get back from a trip. But this is just to let others know there might be another way to get your old hardware to run in Win7. If I can work out the problem, I'll post it.

Gary

P.S. Just to be clear on this issue, the Windows XP Virtual Mode is only available in the 'Windows 7 Professional' or higher versions.

Gary,

Try this MS link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449440(WS.10).aspx

P.S. Just to be clear on this issue, the Windows XP Virtual Mode is only available in the 'Windows 7 Professional' or higher versions.

Also as a Note I found:

"The pre-configured XP Mode of Windows Virtual PC is restricted to Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate hosts. However, an equivalent environment can be configured manually by installing Windows XP SP3 as a guest (requires an XP license and installation media or files) and applying an integration components update (available for download from Microsoft) to enable seamless mode and other Windows 7 integration features.

The integration components enabling seamless mode and other features of Windows Virtual PC support only the following guests:

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 (SP3); Windows Vista Business SP1, Enterprise SP1, and Ultimate SP1; and Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate."

Well Crossfade,

Had you bothered to read the entire context of my Posts and the Replies and not "Jump the Gun" with

your critique, you would have realised that we were discussing 'Windows Home-Premium' and its

limitations in running 32.Bit Program when it had origionally been supplied in its 64.Bit Setup.

Home Premium can run 32 bit apps just fine although drivers must be 64 bit. XP compatibility mode is not needed for this.

Concerning Programs ~I think you are confusing "64.Bit-Compatible Programs" versus "64.Bit Generic-Programs"

which are as different as chalk and cheese.

That makes no sense. 32 bit apps run on Win7 64 bit and the ones you said were 64 bit aren't.

Furthermore if you have a solution for Gary concerning 'Scanner-Drivers' to run in a 64.Bit System why not let

us know about them instead of keeping that knowledge to yourself ~ thats what Forum Membership is all about,

helping fellow Members.....

VueScan was already mentioned. It's great and supports lots of scanners, without needing XP mode. A beta of VueScan x64 is coming in November should be even better.

http://www.hamrick.com/

Phill, Gary, Stu, Peter and others.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you ~ I had to wait for one of my Microsoft friends to help and

assist me and point us in the right direction concerning Windows-7 (all versions) and in particular

"What works and what doesnt Work in Win-7" and what is Microsoft-Approved in terms of....

Software ~ Hardware ~ Drivers ~ Scanners ~ Business Equipment ~ Printers ~ Graphic Programs etc.

Attached is a 'Zip-File' (32.Bit) which contains 3 HTML Files pointing to the relevant Microsoft Web-Pages

which all together compile an extensive "Windows-7 Library" explaining all aspect of the Win-7 System

and its compatibility issues.

Contents of Zip-Folder

1) Frequently asked questions about running Win-7 (32.Bit) and Win-7 (64.Bit)

2) All about Legacy-Drivers, whats available, where and from whom etc.

3) Library of Win-7 Compatible Software - Hardware Devices - Updates - Drivers -Downloads.

I would also like to thank 'Stu' for his support and backup during this Topic/Debate and also to Gary

for asking the awkard questions and to Phill and others I hope its all been worth it....

Brian (Conflow)

Note: Depending on your Browser there may be a small delay when opening each of the 3 Files.

Win-7 Compatibility-Library.zip

Hi Brian,

I think that everyone is really grateful for the time and detailed expert advice you provide, none more so than myself. I'll be giving a lot of thought to what you've said here and in other communications.

I've no doubt that you'd be able to charge a very respectable fee for your advice and it's really great to see you offer advice on this forum.

Best regards,

Phil

Phill, Gary, Stu, Peter and others.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you ~ I had to wait for one of my Microsoft friends to help and

assist me and point us in the right direction concerning Windows-7 (all versions) and in particular .....

Brian (Conflow)

====================

Brian... Thanks for the info. I'll be spending a good about of time checking them out. But I have a trip to take first.

Thanks and much appreciated.... Gary