WnSoft Forums

Best Video Output for Quality

BBorges

Hi guys,

I could use some help understanding how to use PTE to create the best video output for computer (not DVD). I was able to create the introduction to my slideshow but as I tried to use the video outputs, the quality was really bad (compared to the original EXE).

Here is the original EXE file (19MB): https://swa.sharefile.com/d/sc780202ba3240219

And here is the MP4 (29MB) file from the option "Publish on Youtube" and "Keep converted file": https://swa.sharefile.com/d/s6ae8b1b73294e82b

As you can see, the MP4 is very rough, and actually in Youtube it shows only as 240p (though I did select the HD Quality 1080p). Maybe thats because I am using the VideoBuilder trial? I am not sure.

In any case, I can't make the AVI option work to compare to the MP4 output, and I am not even sure I have the proper Audio / Video codecs selected for this task (it gives me an error and a 0kb file is created).

Here are the Audio Codec available:

- No Compression (PVM)

- IMA ADPCM

- Microsoft ADPCM

- CCITT

- GSM 6.10

- DSP Group TrueSpeech

- Microsoft G.723.1

- Windows Media Audio V1 / V2

- ACELP.net

- IAC2

- MPEG Layer-3 <--- this is the one I had tried

For Video Codecs, I have these options:

- Cinepak Codec by Radius

- Intel 4:20 Video V2.50

- Intel Indeo Video R3.2

- Intel Indeo Video 4.5

- Intel IYUV Codec

- Microsoft RLE

- Microsoft Video 1

- Microsoft H.263 Video Codec

- Microsoft H.261 Video Codec

- Indeo Video 5.10

- PictureToExe Video Codec

- Full Frames (Uncompressed)

So which combination would give me the best AVI quality? I would like to try any combination you guys recommend and compare to the MP4 and understand what is going on.

Thanks in advance,

BB

Hi B, (is there a better name - maybe first name?)

I couldn't get the downloaded video file to play for me at all, so I can't comment on it. I was able to see the exe just fine.

The "best" quality video is going to be an MP4 h.264 created with PTE. It will be MUCH larger in size that the exe file. If you will zip up your PTE files using the internal zip feature (file - create backup in zip) and post that and a link for me, I'll create an MP4 of it and link you to it.

You need Video Builder to do this. The Deluxe version of PTE includes Video Builder and is well worth the additional small cost. AVI files will "never" be equal in quality and there is always the issue of people trying to play them without the proper codec. MP4 h.264 is a far superior distribution mode. With no more animation than you have in your intro exe, the MP4 will be virtually identical to the exe.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Thanks once again for the feedback. It seems like MP4 is the way to go, and I wanted to confirm which format would suit me better before upgrading to Deluxe.

The thing I find weird is that the MP4 saved under the "YouTube" option is very low quality. Here is the Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNFkWtjSJIg

If I upgrade to Deluxe, will the quality get better? Is the trial version lower quality?

If you tell me MP4 is the way to go, then I'll just forget the AVI comparison and purchase the VB, but I would like to make sure this is the best option before I do so.

Thanks,

Bernardo

Hi Bernardo,

I wish I had an easy answer for you - I'm not certain why the Youtube output was of such low pixel size. Video Builder can output "very" high quality to Youtube. I used to have some 1600x1200 samples on Youtube which were output directly from PTE to Youtube. Since your production is built in 5:4 aspect ratio, using the HD 1080p output would crop off the top and bottom so you really don't want to chose either of those. Instead, choose the Custom and set the resolution to a higher figure with 5:4 aspect ratio. This could be variously 800x600, 1024x768 or 1600x1200. Realize that if you choose 1600x1200, the "probability" is that your viewers will have to pause the output at Youtube immediately after it starts then wait until the buffering gives a decent head start before proceeding. Youtube will actually "convert" the MP4 h.264 to a proprietary high quality Flash show, but it will be virtually indistinguishable from the original at 1600x1200. If you choose 1024x768 it doesn't get converted to HD by Youtube for what ever reason, so to get true HD you either must redo the show cropped to the 1080 or 720 formats or use 1200x1600.

It's entirely possible that the demo version of Video Builder doesn't output the full resolution. I can't check that because I have purchased multiple copies for my own computers and they are all full deluxe version.

Again, if you want to test it before you buy Video Builder, just link me to your zipped PTE file and I'll output a 1600x1200 which you can then download and subsequently upload to Youtube to try it for yourself.

p.s.

Here's a link to one of my shows on Youtube which I think can be run in HD....

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=grPvnD2nubM&vq=hd1080

Best regards,

Lin

BBorges,

As you can see, the MP4 is very rough, and actually in Youtube it shows only as 240p (though I did select the HD Quality 1080p). Maybe thats because I am using the VideoBuilder trial? I am not sure.

When you played back your You Tube creation ... what playback resolution did you select ?

See the screenshot attachment.

If I upgrade to Deluxe, will the quality get better? Is the trial version lower quality?

The quality should be the same. I disabled my VB key as a test and both my files appeared the same except for the Trial display.

Double check your Create HD for PC and Mac (MP4) output settings. Playback directly on your PC without YouTube conversion.

From the PTE User Guide:

I have a problem with the playback of HD video file, there is mistiming of audio and video

and even visual defects of the picture. What should I do?

You should take into consideration that this video format has very high requirements to hardware.

Most software players use only CPU to decode and play this video file and sometimes even the

newest Intel Core 2 Duo can't play FullHD video file (1920x1080) successfully. There are some

players (PowerDVD, WinDVD) which can enable hardware acceleration of video card (the modern

video card is required) and in this case video will be played very well even with the low CPU

loading. The best result with software player is using free Media Player Classic HomeCinema:

http://www.wnsoft.com/soft/other/setup_mpc.exe. It already includes all necessary decoders to play

created video files with slideshows.

** Even with these software players ... you are not guaranteed optimal HD video playback. Your playback ultimate quality is going to be by your PC capabilities and your video card capabilities. Make sure your video card drivers are fully up-to-date with the latest playback HD drivers (HD H264 acceleration) that may be available for your model.

Your YT.bmp

Lin / nobeefstu

Thanks for the feedback. It definitely has helped with the questions.

I was finally able to create a high quality AVI (about 1.5 Gb for 2 mins) and also a high quality MP4 per Lin's suggestions (about 50 Mb) and the difference in quality was minimal.

Here is the MP4 video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdrkHQu8Tew

So yes, MP4 is the way to go and I am proceeding with VideoBuilder.

Thanks again guys, very much appreciated!

BB

PS. nobeefstu, I knew about the quality settings on youtube, but I realized what happened: I had played the video right after uploading it to the site, and it was not fully processed and it only showed the lower resolution. After few hours it showed the higher 1080p option.