WnSoft Forums

Why ?

thedom

Should the sections be separated by default ?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should the sections be separated by default ?

• YES
    • NO
    • I DON'T KNOW

A lot of topics were started because users have difficulties to use the non linear speed animation.

It leads new users to several misunderstandings for a long time.

Last example here : http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12818

Or people complain because you have to make a lot clicks if you have a lot of objects/keypoints (and I agree).

Last example here : http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12841

I already started a topic in the "Ideas and Suggestions" forum a year and a half ago :

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10431

But I would like to address the subject again.

I do not understand why the option is left to "glue" from version to version.

Is it a technical problem ? Or can we hope a change for the release of the next version ?

Igor, if you read this topic, please post a reply. :)

Yes, PLEASE, let the sections be separated by default !

I've asked the question on the French Diapostif forum. Those who are using this speed values are always compelled to separate all the sections. Very rarely they keep them glued.

For the newcomers, it's very disturbing. And so they put it aside and don't use it anymore. A great pity !

I agree a thousand times with you, TheDom ! I hope Igor will agree too, and change the default setting.

Yes, I agree too.

It would be very helpful to have separate actions by default.

For me it's a first step because...

The best for us (the 10 hours - or more - by days of PTE's users) would be able to select some control points and give at this selection the desired animation !

This would solve many problems and frustrations encountered in the preparation of slides show.

(We'll talk later).

PS: the PTE for me is not a toy but a tool!

I have no strong opinion either way on this subject; but I would offer this suggestion: add a new Project Option "Default keyframe state" with radio buttons for "Glued" and "Separated". Then the user can choose which value to have as their default on a project-by-project basis.

And, if I might be permitted, I also make this observation: excluding myself, all those who have posted comments here (except for Bert) would appear to be residents of European mainland nations. Does this indicate a cultural difference in the use of the animation values, between the European mainland nations and the rest of the world, I wonder. :unsure:

Please note that I am not saying one party is right and the other is wrong. I just find it curious.

regards,

Peter

I agree on the separation issue and further to that; I would love to be able to highlight multiple key points at once (using "shift" or "control"). When we have a slide that contains several objects all requiring their own animations and after creating the key points, you find that you need to move all of the key point for a particular object, wouldn't it be great to click on the first key point and then "shift" click on the last key point and move them all together?

I can't tell you how often when trying to space out the animations of several objects in a slide, I don't get right the first time. When a repositioning is required, I have to click and move each key point one at a time.

Greg

Thank you to those of you who replied and/or voted (even if there are more than 400 views and only 16 votes :D )

Honestly, I can't see a reason to keep this option as it is.

I made a lot a projects, sometimes very complex, and I think I only kept the sections glued less than 1% of the time.

I would be interested to know why the person who voted NO would like to keep this option as it is now as the default. :)

Peter, for the same reason, I don't see the the reason to introduce this option.

Do you have a lot of example of projects where you kept the sections glued ?

Greg, I totally agree.

Almost the same suggestion was posted here a long time ago : http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7613

Dom,

I'm the one who voted NO: because I believe that the default value should NOT be forced on the user. The user should have the choice of which option is to be their default. You, and many others, wish to choose "Separated" as your default. That is your decision. Other users may wish to choose "Glued" as their default. That would be their decision. Isn't a default that is set by the user, in Project Options, a much more flexible solution? Your way, only some users (OK, perhaps the majority!) will be happy. My way, all users would be happy.

regards,

Peter

Dom -

I read the post from 2007, too bad Igor didn't bite at that time. I would be happy to be able to highlight all the key points and simply drag them with the mouse rather than entering a time value. It would sure be great if Igor would address this.

Greg

Hi Peter,

today the user has only one default value ! Glued !

Not exactly in fact (if I'm right). The sections are glued for the non-linear options, but they ARE ALREADY SEPARATED for the linear option, even if this is not visible with the parameters.

Do the following test : with the " + " do create two other KeyPoints from the first KP. The parameters are the same for each KP.

Now change the parameters for the second KP

OK ? The picture "goes" from the first to the second KP (a movement with Pan, or/and a zoom or/and a rotation ...)and RETURN to the first status for the third KP.

This means the sections are separeted.

Now, change to "Smooth"

and NOTHING will move anymore ! This time, the sections are really glued. But don't you think it's crazy ??? What could think a newcomer of this ???

So, an option for glued or separated by default ? Why not ? It's a solution for everybody, but I can't think of exemples requiring always a glued options.

By the way, I agree too, with Etienne and TheDom, and BootZilla when they say it'll be a nice thing if several keypoints could be taken together to move them along the timeline !

Jean-Cyprien

... Now, change to "Smooth" and NOTHING will move anymore ! This time, the sections are really glued. But don't you think it's crazy ??? What could think a newcomer of this ??? ...

Jean-Cyprien,

you really mention a crucial point! Only recently I gave a PTE seminar and the participants made exactly the experience that you describe. And even if you separate the key points, close the speed options window, and then press the Smooth button, the key points will be glued again. All in all, very confusing for newcomers!

Regards,

Xaver

PS: I (another citizen of the European mainland :) ) gave my vote for "YES"

I have no strong opinion either way on this subject; but I would offer this suggestion: add a new Project Option "Default keyframe state" with radio buttons for "Glued" and "Separated". Then the user can choose which value to have as their default on a project-by-project basis.

And, if I might be permitted, I also make this observation: excluding myself, all those who have posted comments here (except for Bert) would appear to be residents of European mainland nations. Does this indicate a cultural difference in the use of the animation values, between the European mainland nations and the rest of the world, I wonder. :unsure:

Please note that I am not saying one party is right and the other is wrong. I just find it curious.

regards,

Peter

Peter, just to make it more curious, I am a Dutchman living in the USA :huh:

Bert

Guest Yachtsman1

I voted "I don't know" because I don't have the knowledge of the animation feature to vote either for or against. Maybe a "simple"explanation would elicit more votes or opinions.

Yachtsman1.

Hi,

I'm not going to support The Dom on this occasion primarily because I do not consider myself competent to make a decision.

I have been using PTE for quite a few years now and have no reason to regret that fact. However, in trying to encourage others to use PTE or indeed even get involved with AV I constantly meet major resistance due to its complexity. I would say therefor that anything that makes it simpler to use should be encouraged.

I suspect that every contributor to this thread is at the higher end of experience and I suspect not truly considering the novice. I think the fact that there have been 640 views and only 19 replies goes some way to support that fact.

I do however think that Peter's suggestion of an option controlled from Project Options makes total sense and can't see any reason not to go down that route.

I can't think now what the occasion or feature was but I'm sure similar occasions for adopting this policy have been rejected or not considered by Igor in the past. This concerns me as it suggests to me that those who are technically highly competent are too far removed from the reality of the average user. There are to my mind a number of innovations that have not been well introduced and that could be improved by some adaption. I think PTE are in danger of loosing market share by concentrating too much on new innovation and not simplifying the basics.

John

Hi John,

You write

"I suspect that every contributor to this thread is at the higher end of experience"

I think you're right

and then,

"and I suspect not truly considering the novice."

No. I don't agree. I'm considering the novice. If they use the "linear" motion, it'll be NO differnce for them. But if they want to use Smooth, for exemple, PTE'll work correctly, not with crazy results as today .

Jean-Cyprien

Jean-Cyprrien

Regarding consideration of the novice, I will accept your point with regard to this issue. However, my comment was more of a general nature rather than specific to this topic as i suggested in my opening paragraph.

Regards

John

P.S. It's nice to see that some of us are reading this even if it appears not to being read by WnSoft!!

Peter

I can see your a diplomat and try to please all of the people all of the time, but your way just makes software more complex. The default setting should be what the average user would need for most of the time and the Dom is right here.

I suspect that every contributor to this thread is at the higher end of experience and I suspect not truly considering the novice. I think the fact that there have been 640 views and only 19 replies goes some way to support that fact

What you suspect does not seem to be true. Please forgive me if I regard myself as an experienced user, and I really do not have any problems with the business of separating key points. But I have really made the experience that it is the novice who runs into trouble with the present default settings.

Furthermore, you should not compare views and votes. I'm pretty sure that each contributor to this thread will produce a lot of views. So, the disproportion that you pretend to see may not exist.

Regards,

Xaver