WnSoft Forums

DVD using 4.20

Graham

I have successfully made a DVD playable on my computer, but it does not work on my DVD player connected to my TV. Is there a disk compatability problem ie. rewritable DVD disks.

Also the quality is not as good as the exe. file on PC. Do I need to make the file size larger on the original files in Pictures2exe, or am I missing a setting in Ulead.

DVD burning is new to me. Any help would be welcome

Graham

There are various compatibility issues w/DVDs burned on PCs for home players. Multiple formats (-R/-RW and +R/+RW) and burn speed are two of the most common variables that may cause problems. There are also sometimes issues w/the media itself (e.g., some media is more likely to be rejected even if in the appropriate format for the DVD player). Try the DVD on your neighbor's player or take it to a local electronics store and you'll likely find it plays fine on one of the players you try.

DVD-R/-RW is believed to be a bit more compatible w/home players thand DVD+/+RW, but I have never seen a disc of either type rejected in recent DVDs I have made and shared w/maybe 10 or so other people. Depends on the age of your DVD player - newer ones tend (though not always) to be more broadly compatible.

See www.dvdhelp.com for tons of information, including compatibility, and the company that made your DVD player may have some info on DVD format compatibility.

Quality won't be as good (i.e., the pictures won't be as sharp and detailed) as on a PC - the resolution of a TV just isn't the great as a PC screen. The encoder that DVD programs use also provide varying quality output. What program did you use?

Dana

Thanks for that.

I have got a DVD writer that is + & - compatible.

I have used Ulead DVD factory as suggested by Igor.

Graham

I agree with Dana that DVD burning/playing is like opening another can of worms. There are too many variables that may create a problem that results in failing to play on your DVD player.

If you are really serious about this, you may want to consider buying a very inexpensive DVD player that is made in Asia (i.e. Taiwan or China), and you current DVD player may be the problem, as not all DVD players can play the home made VCD/SVCD/DVD disk. Bring your home made DVD disc to your local store and see which player can play it. Apex seems to be a 'good' DVD player that can play anything (type of files, media, etc.) and very inexpensive. Use rewriteable to test your creation process to minimize waste and learn from other's mistake (from reading on other DVD forums). Good luck.

Slau's idea is a good one - the APEX players are cheap and can play anything you throw at them.

If your writer does both formats, burn your next one in the other format and it will hopefully play on your player. :-) I have Sony dual format writer and that flexibility is good insurance.

Dana

Yes, it better to use DVD-R discs. Don't use DVD-RW/+RW disc - they will not play on old DVD players.

Also I have excellent result with SVCD (max volume about 30-40 minutes) which created on usual CD-R disc (700 Mb)! So you even needn't in DVD writer, and CD writer will enough.

Today is Saturday, and England are playing the Australians, in about 45minutes.

I will try your suggestions after the match.

Regards

Graham

Come on England !!!!!!

Guest Techman1

Graham,

I'm surprised that a Rewritable CD would work in the Playstation. I researched the Playstation and found that a recorded CD-R will not play. It is suppose to only support true DVD's. Since it wouldn't play a CD-R and everything I read confirmed that I didn't even try a RW CD. Live and Learn!

The APEX DVD players really do seem to play almost anything that you put in them.

Good luck.

Fred

Guest Techman1

Graham,

Sorry, it's too early here and I didn't read your message correctly. I was thinking CD-R's and you clearly said DVD-R. I'm not sure why that wouldn't work unless the DVD media is too reflective for the PS2. I've read a little about that. Were your rewritable DVD and the DVD-R from the same company?

Fred

Fred

The DVD's are different. the DVD+RW is Packard Bell and the DVD+R is TDK.

I have now looked at the Ulead web site to find that DVD compatability is a minefield. Trial and error by the look of it.

The thing is I want to sell these. I already sell .exe slideshows of weddings.

It's no good selling a DVD if it won't play on the customers DVD player.

I think research is needed.

Graham