WnSoft Forums

Changes in Slide Duration

Igor

Hi Dave,

You'r right, it could be done internally. - that is one "could" use the envelope feature to kill the sound on an MP3 to use as the silence "mask," but then it's still using additional resources (the file for the silent MP3) to do something which can already be done more efficiently. I guess it's just the "programmer" part of me who likes to keep it as clean and simple as possible.

Best regards,

Lin

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lin,

I like your idea of the modular User's Manual but would not be able to help out with the writing of it due to lack of real experience with PTE. I would be more than happy to assist in any other way such as proof reading for example.

Regards,

Paul

Back to the original discussion:

I've just noticed something which is going to mean a new way of thinking.

I resumed work on a project in which the slide duration (in Beta 10) had been set to 4 seconds (start of slide a to start of slide b ) plus 1.5 sec transition.

I added some slides and straight away noticed that the new slides were 2.5 seconds from start of slide a to start of slide b.

It took a little while to figure it out. The Beta 11 four seconds equates to Beta 10 2.5 seconds (plus 1.5 sec transition).

I reset all slides to 6.5 seconds and got what I wanted - 6.5 seconds includes two transitions - 4 seconds including "incoming transition" PLUS 2.5 seconds "outgoing transition".

Not a complaint - just an observation.

I'm OK with it.

DG

Hi Dave,

Assuming you want the normal full MP3 to end at the penultimate slide with a silent script scroll at the end. You then have the present choice of running your sound track and having it end in synchronization with the next to last slide and the final script slide silent. For discussion purposes one mp3, ten slides plus a script slide. That's a count of eleven slides and one mp3. Using a silent MP3 to create silence for the last slide equals eleven slides and two mp3's. MP3's have size.

Presently, we don't need a silent mp3 so it's adding to the resource load. Now is you wanted to cut the last mp3 short and fade it out then make the last portion silent to allow the script slide it would not add to the resource load, but generally, I like to have my full sound track play.

Best regards,

Lin

Would using part of an existing MP3 (silenced) use less resources?

DG

Hi Dave,

Yes, that's the new way Igor described. To have it the old way you would select all points then click on "Timed Points" then "Set Time of Points" then specify the time as 6.5. Or in keeping with the new way of beginning of transition to end of next transition, just change as you did.

Best regards,

Lin

I resumed work on a project in which the slide duration (in Beta 10) had been set to 4 seconds (start of slide a to start of slide b ) plus 1.5 sec transition.

I added some slides and straight away noticed that the new slides were 2.5 seconds from start of slide a to start of slide b.

It took a little while to figure it out. The Beta 11 four seconds equates to Beta 10 2.5 seconds (plus 1.5 sec transition).

I reset all slides to 6.5 seconds and got what I wanted - 6.5 seconds includes two transitions - 4 seconds including "incoming transition" PLUS 2.5 seconds "outgoing transition".

I'm OK with it.

DG

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the offer to proof read - if we do this, that would be a big help!

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I like your idea of the modular User's Manual but would not be able to help out with the writing of it due to lack of real experience with PTE. I would be more than happy to assist in any other way such as proof reading for example.

Regards,

Paul

Dave,

I'm OK with it.

DG

Please remember you are not forced to just use the new Slide Duration features. There is options to change the behaviour.

So we're suggesting two changes in Beta 11:

1) Slide list displays full slide duration on a pictures of slides. Customize slide window also shows full slide duration and accepts these values. There is a global option of the program to revert old style of duration.

2) The second change is intended to keep a full slide duration after sorting of slides in the Slide list or after adding of a new slide to the end of the Slide list . The program can reduce/enlarge pure slide duration to keep total slide duration unchanged. This allows move complex slides with animation or slides with video clips keeping their correct playback. It is also an optional behaviour of the program which you can turn off.

See attachment for available settings.

post-45-0-08180700-1308754282_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

Assuming you want the normal full MP3 to end at the penultimate slide with a silent script scroll at the end. You then have the present choice of running your sound track and having it end in synchronization with the next to last slide and the final script slide silent. For discussion purposes one mp3, ten slides plus a script slide. That's a count of eleven slides and one mp3. Using a silent MP3 to create silence for the last slide equals eleven slides and two mp3's. MP3's have size.

Presently, we don't need a silent mp3 so it's adding to the resource load. Now is you wanted to cut the last mp3 short and fade it out then make the last portion silent to allow the script slide it would not add to the resource load, but generally, I like to have my full sound track play.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

We may be talking at cross purposes and I might not be correct here but go with me for a while.

Let's say that your show (minus the end credits) fits to a piece of music which is 7m 30s long and you want the credits to be 1m long.

What I am suggesting is that you add the SAME piece of music to TRACK 2 and configure it to play 1m of the MP3 silently (say between zero and 1m).

In effect you now have an 8m 30s track of which 1m is silent and you haven't added anything to the project. You only have the original 7m 30s piece of music in the folder.

I hope that I have explained what I am thinking correctly and that there's nothing I have missed.

DG

Hi Stu,

I'm not certain whether it works yet as intended, but in order to get the timings to work as they do in 6.5, you must select all points then "set time of points" to the slide duration. After doing this, things are as in 6.5, but just clicking on the "hold points" doesn't achieve that, at least not on my system.

Best regards,

Lin

Dave,

Please remember you are not forced to just use the new Slide Duration features. There is options to change the behaviour.

So we're suggesting two changes in Beta 11:

1) Slide list displays full slide duration on a pictures of slides. Customize slide window also shows full slide duration and accepts these values. There is a global option of the program to revert old style of duration.

2) The second change is intended to keep a full slide duration after sorting of slides in the Slide list or after adding of a new slide to the end of the Slide list . The program can reduce/enlarge pure slide duration to keep total slide duration unchanged. This allows move complex slides with animation or slides with video clips keeping their correct playback. It is also an optional behaviour of the program which you can turn off.

See attachment for available settings.

Hi Dave,

I now see what you are getting at - thanks!

That would work I think, and not add any additional resource load. It is, however a bit convoluted in my view, when as is, you can just use existing features to do it without adding the same mp3 to another track.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

We may be talking at cross purposes and I might not be correct here but go with me for a while.

Let's say that your show (minus the end credits) fits to a piece of music which is 7m 30s long and you want the credits to be 1m long.

What I am suggesting is that you add the SAME piece of music to TRACK 2 and configure it to play 1m of the MP3 silently (say between zero and 1m).

In effect you now have an 8m 30s track of which 1m is silent and you haven't added anything to the project. You only have the original 7m 30s piece of music in the folder.

I hope that I have explained what I am thinking correctly and that there's nothing I have missed.

DG

Lin,

I just tried what I suggested in Post #34 and it works OK.

I had to go back to 6.5 because of the current problems in 7Beta 11.

Add the SAME MP3 to Track 2 and offset it to give the amount of overlap silence required.

Flatten the Wave and the second Track plays silently after the firs Track.

The Timed Points can be set as Peter suggested and the total time works out OK.

I checked the Overall EXE size and in my case it is 62.2Mb with or without the second track so it is adding nothing to the project size.

DG

Hi Dave,

I now see what you are getting at - thanks!

That would work I think, and not add any additional resource load. It is, however a bit convoluted in my view, when as is, you can just use existing features to do it without adding the same mp3 to another track.

Best regards,

Lin

Please run that by me again?

If we can do it why have we been having this discussion?

DG

Dave,

That's been my question all along.... "If we can already do it, why change to automate end of music at end of last slide at create time?"

We can already do exactly what you suggest "without" adding a track of the same MP3 set to silent. All you need to do is click on "Timed Points" then on "Set End Last Skide at End of Music." Now add the scrips slide and it's done. No need to add an additional track of same music and make it silent.

This discussion began when Peter asked why it wouldn't be feasible to perform the task of setting music and slides to end together at creation of show time. I said but what if you wanted silence on the last slide?

You "can" do it as you suggest, but it's already possible without changing any existing feature and without using a silent MP3 ...... In other words, the only "reason" to use a silent mp3 would be if PTE were altered to automate setting last slide to end of music, etc., as Peter was asking about.....

Best regards,

Lin

Please run that by me again?

If we can do it why have we been having this discussion?

DG

• 2 months later...

Problem with slide duration indication. (v7.0 beta15)

It seems that 2 different methods are used for the total duration calculation depending on how the advanced options of the view menu has been initialised.

- If I begins to set the project options (slide and effect duration) with "Show full slide duration" unchecked at first, then selecting this option, in this case it comes :

total slide duration = slide duration + effect duration (see fig 1 and 2) slide duration =9s effect duration =4s it comes total duration =13s that sounds correct.

- If I begins to set the project options (slide and effect duration) with "Show full slide duration" checked at first, in this case it comes :

total slide duration = slide duration - effect duration (see fig 3 and 4) and with the same conditions if the duration for the slide is less than twice the times of the effects, the slide duration is modified (see fig 5 and 6)....that sounds very strange and tricky

Daniel

post-6446-0-91368700-1314214363_thumb.jp, post-6446-0-64084500-1314214398_thumb.jp, post-6446-0-86313400-1314214440_thumb.jp, post-6446-0-18254400-1314214467_thumb.jp, post-6446-0-68955000-1314214530_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-18699600-1314214504_thumb.jp

Daniel,

Problem with slide duration indication. (v7.0 beta15) ...

As from the new PicturesToExe_User_Guide_v70.pdf :Pg 16

Options Show and Keep full slide duration are set by default, but you can uncheck them.

Option Show full slide duration shows the slide duration itself and the duration of transition

effect for the next slide. Option Keep slide duration is helpful if the slides in your slideshow

have different duration and while changing their places, their duration is not changeable.

If you apply the above duration calculations for Full Slide Duration which is the selected Slide + the next slide's Effect duration ... does your displayed durations appear to add-up correctly ?

Problem with slide duration. (v7.0 beta15)

Nobeefstu, thanks for your message, it seems that my previous post was not clear enough so I try with an explanation in a different way....

Project 1

1) "Show full slide duration" not selected

2) inside Project Options I set slide duration = 9s and effects duration = 4s for all slides .

3) indication of duration on the thumbnails on the timeline are correct, in line with specified duration see fig 1

4) I change the option and "Show full slide duration" is not selected

5) the total duration of slide indicated on the thumbnails on the timeline are correct, total duration (9+4 =13s) see fig 2

Projet 2

1) "Show full slide duration" is selected

2) again, inside Project Options I set slide duration = 9s and effects duration = 4s for all slides .

3) indications given by thumbnails arre different the total duration is now 9s and not 13s as for project 1 (see fig 3). Why such a difference with the same options selected?

4) and, if I change the option with "Show full slide duration" not selected

5) then the indication for the slide duration becomes 9-4= 5s although it was 9s with the same options selected in Project 1 Why? (see fig 4)

Same process as for Project 2, if the slide duration set inside Project Options is lower than 2x the effect duration selected, the slide duration are automaticaly modified by PTE without notice to the user, an error message should be welcome in this case. See fig 5 et 6.

So why, such a different methods of calculation and why different indications with the same options selected at the end???

That is very tricky for PTE users

I hope that my explanations are clearer this times.

Best regards

Daniel

post-6446-0-05244400-1314352668_thumb.jp, post-6446-0-74135500-1314352705_thumb.jp, post-6446-0-31510400-1314352730_thumb.jp, post-6446-0-50601200-1314352752_thumb.jp, post-6446-0-55120400-1314352773_thumb.jp, post-6446-0-39396200-1314352794_thumb.jp

Daniel,

So why, such a different methods of calculation and why different indications with the same options selected at the end???

That is very tricky for PTE users

Read Igors post for reasons of implementing Show Full Slide Duration feature :

Changes in Slide Duration - WnSoft Forums

First, I think each user must decide for themselves which duration display mode best suits their working objective. If the user does not prefer the new Show Full Slide Duration feature ... they need only to uncheck the option and PTE will function as previous versions they are already familar with.

As for Project2/fig 3&4 :

*If you are using Show Full Slide Duration mode ... any changes to the Project Option | Slide Duration will adjust/apply the Slide duration value to include the Effect duration value. Therefore, new Slides are set to Slide+Effect to give you the full Slide Duration.

*If you are not using the Show Full Slide Duration mode ... the change to the Project Option | Slide Duration will only adjust the Slide duration value. The Effect duration value is not included. Therefore, new Slides are set to just the Slide Duration.

Hope this helps.

Daniel,

1. New modes "Show full slide duration" and "Keep full slide duration" are used by default and usually no need to change them. Also there is an important moment - if you uncheck "Show full slide duration" option you also must turn off "Keep full slide duration", too. These both options work together.

The Project options window displays a default slide duration according state of "Show full slide duration" option. In one case it's a pure slide duration, in second case - a pure slide duration + next effect duration.

Also if you changed a state of "Show full slide duration" option, the default slide duration will not be updated automatically. To perform a correct test you need to start a new project or correct default slide duration manually.

2. Sorry, I was not able reproduce a situation shown on Figure 1. It's impossible to get this result with these settings (default slide duration in the Project options as 9 seconds and transition duration as 4 seconds). See attached screenshot.

post-1-0-72742400-1314362987_thumb.jpg

Thanks Igor for your atention, I try to answer inside your post. I will install v17 this afternoon and will check again after.

Daniel,

1. New modes "Show full slide duration" and "Keep full slide duration" are used by default and usually no need to change them. Also there is an important moment

Yes Igor I knew that.

- if you uncheck "Show full slide duration" option you also must turn off "Keep full slide duration", too. These both options work together.

That is new for me, I thought these two options where independent, first one giving the indication of duration, the second one was in relation with the position of the slide on the time line, moving the slide in position will keep its duration.

If the both conditions are linked it will be better if, unchecking one of them, the other should be automaticaly unchecked.

- The Project options window displays a default slide duration according state of "Show full slide duration" option. In one case it's a pure slide duration, in second case - a pure slide duration + next effect duration.

Yes Igor I knew that was the reason why I've mentionned it was OK for fig1 and fig2 on my previous post.

Also if you changed a state of "Show full slide duration" option, the default slide duration will not be updated automatically. To perform a correct test you need to start a new project or correct default slide duration manually.

The problem is that for two different projects (project 1 and project 2 as mentionned in my previous post, I've closed PTE between the two projects), the indications of slide duration or total side duration are different (for the same options selected at final step) and it seems that the calculation method is different depending on the initial condition of the option "Show full slide duration"

2. Sorry, I was not able reproduce a situation shown on Figure 1. It's impossible to get this result with these settings (default slide duration in the Project options as 9 seconds and transition duration as 4 seconds). See attached screenshot.

I understand your point but I cant explain why we found different results, I will check again on my side after b17 installation and come back.

Best regards

Daniel

Daniel,

Igor , please find new tests achieved with v17, the results are the same on my side please see the explanations on the image here attached.

You will see that the slide duration indicated on project3step2 and project4step1 are totally different although the options checked on PTE are the same ( The same conclusion for the comparison between project3step1 and project4step2).

This situation is very confusing, as the indication are depending on the initial conditions of the project.

Best regards,

Daniel.

post-6446-0-51706200-1314376701_thumb.jp, post-6446-0-93121600-1314380320_thumb.jp*

post-6446-0-96793200-1314380420_thumb.jp*, post-6446-0-87945500-1314380472_thumb.jp*

* those images have been re-edited