WnSoft Forums

The Dreaded Licence Key Solved.

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Sometime last week someone complained they had not been able to upgrade their De-lux version despite having gone through the correct procedures. I jumped to their defence as is my wont, saying that after 4 years it was time it was sorted. Some time after this, I received a PM from one of our moderators to say they had deleted my response as they didn't class it as helpful. I did respond saying that was just their opinion & not a sufficient reason to delete the post. It may not have been received, so I left it at that.

Today I am visiting a 96 year old member who has bought a new laptop, he bought PTE about 3 years ago. I have been trying for the last hour to load his original key to activate the programme on his new machine, I can't!!!! All I get is an error message telling me the key is for another WNSOFT product. I hope this post will not be deleted & action taken to nail this on-going problem once & for all. I have forwarded the complaint to customer support, hopefully by the time of my next visit, a replacement key will have been sent, JC did save but he still got crucified.

Yachtsman1.

Have you tried using nobeefstu's utility to salvage the PTE key from the registry on the previous system? Did that not succeed in the extraction? If you have and it did, all you need to do is copy the *.reg files that it produced across to the new PC and then double-click on them to load the contents into the registry.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Sorry Peter, but you are speaking a language I have very little knowledge of. As I said in my original post, we have the original key copies, PTE & Video Builder, the PTE string just throws up the error that it is for another WNsoft product when introduced to PTE6.

I say again this system should be foolproof & user friendly, it isn't. I can't reproduce the error messages as I'm now at home on my machine.

Yachtsman1.

Eric

I don't know and I am only guessing here from what you have said.

Perhaps the original key was sold with PTE4 or 5 and that needs to be installed first. It could be that the original key has some link to this previous version and that is stopping you from applying the key to version 6. If you can lay your hands on version 4/5 and try that, it might just accept the key, then you can upgrade to version 6.

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric

I don't know and I am only guessing here from what you have said.

Perhaps the original key was sold with PTE4 or 5 and that needs to be installed first. It could be that the original key has some link to this previous version and that is stopping you from applying the key to version 6. If you can lay your hands on version 4/5 and try that, it might just accept the key, then you can upgrade to version 6.

Barry

The original programme was on a now redundant machine, I copied the keys onto the new LT when it was acquired but not the programme. I won't be seeing the user for two weeks, so assuming he is hopefully still on this earth in two weeks time, hopefully the new key will have arrived. We conversed by email an hour ago & it hadn't.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

All I get is an error message telling me the key is for another WNSOFT product

This message usually indicates the KEY that was saved or copied has incomplete string values or missing string elements.

If you dont want to use KeyCopy utility to restore the registration as Peter suggests ... make sure you are using the original KEY file that came in the email. I would not know how any program can plan 3 yrs in advance to finally fix a KEY issue that may ramdomly pop up in the future ... especially when that original KEY worked 3 yrs ago.

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

This message usually indicates the KEY that was saved or copied has incomplete string values or missing string elements.

If you dont want to use KeyCopy utility to restore the registration as Peter suggests ... make sure you are using the original KEY file that came in the email. I would not know how any program can plan 3 yrs in advance to finally fix a KEY issue that may ramdomly pop up in the future ... especially when that original KEY worked 3 yrs ago.

It was a struggle then for a 93 year old as it is now that he's 96, & i'm only 71 & can't fix it.

Yachtsman1

PS the string is complete, I know I copied it.

Hi Eric,

Bet you a pint that if you use Stu's key copy program to retrieve the key from the old system and if PTE works on that old system, that it will work for you. (you can get the software from Stu's link above)

Best regards,

Lin

It was a struggle then for a 93 year old as it is now that he's 96, & i'm only 71 & can't fix it.

Yachtsman1

PS the string is complete, I know I copied it.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin & Colin, As I said previously, the original machine is redundant so I can't get anything off it. & yes I have tried the copied key in various copied formats, with & without endings, no luck. My friends still hasn't received a replacment key, the email was sent approx 3pm last Wendesday.

Yachtsman1 :(

Guest Yachtsman1

Just to clarify I am using the correct key format on my friends LT. Attached is a copy of my key suitably erased to precent copying. My friend's is exactly the same format but obviously different characters. I used this one to activate PTE on my new PC over a year ago, so I know it works. My friends also has the Delux video builder key, but I only used the PTE key on his machine as his delux licence has expired. I tried his key with & without the two top lines Regedit & hkey, both attemps brought on the error message mentioned previously.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-52596100-1309503868_thumb.jp

Eric,

Yes, your key certainly looks authentic and if the other chap's key is of identical form then it should work.

One other thing is that it's possible his registry is corrupt in some subtle manner. Perhaps you could uninstall PTE from his machine, then run a registry cleaner like Ccleaner (http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER), a free program. Then reinstall PTE and try the reg.key again.

Tip: if you rename the reg key file as *.reg, i.e. the extension of .reg, then you only need to double-click that file from anywhere and it will run and install directly into the registry without having to be copied into the PTE folder. It also avoids the PTE program having to do the registry install, thereby avoiding another possible hiccup.

Colin

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

Yes, your key certainly looks authentic and if the other chap's key is of identical form then it should work.

One other thing is that it's possible his registry is corrupt in some subtle manner. Perhaps you could uninstall PTE from his machine, then run a registry cleaner like Ccleaner (http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER), a free program. Then reinstall PTE and try the reg.key again.

Tip: if you rename the reg key file as *.reg, i.e. the extension of .reg, then you only need to double-click that file from anywhere and it will run and install directly into the registry without having to be copied into the PTE folder. It also avoids the PTE program having to do the registry install, thereby avoiding another possible hiccup.

Colin

Thanks Colin. However I will not bee seeing him again until a week Tuesday, hopefully a replacement key will have been received by then, hasn't arrived yet :(

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Message fro AH this afternoon, "still no replacement key", and yes he does know to check his spam etc.

Yachtsman1. :(

PS the same day we had the saga with key, he ordered 2 items from Amazon, these arrived this morning by snail mail!!!!.

Guest Yachtsman1

I've been a little busy this last week & unable to follow up on this item. However, last night I emailed 96 year old Arthur Holt & gave him an update on my activities, I also asked if he had received the new key from PTE that was requested in a support request sent from his computer almost two weeks ago, this was his reply "Hello Eric, PHEW ! ! !

Yes, I said in my email, please come on Tuesday as arranged. (Even more so after reading yours!)

Nothing from PTE.

Cheers,

Arthur.

I know he is 96 years of age, but he is all there with his lemon drops & knows to check his spam, so I would give him the benefit of the doubt that he hasn't received the new key. As there has been no response from PTE themselves on here, I assume it has dropped off the radar. I am seeing him Tuesday next week & hope there has been some response.

I've been a little busy this last week & unable to follow up on this item. However, last night I emailed 96 year old Arthur Holt & gave him an update on my activities, I also asked if he had received the new key from PTE that was requested in a support request sent from his computer almost two weeks ago, this was his reply "Hello Eric, PHEW ! ! !

Yes, I said in my email, please come on Tuesday as arranged. (Even more so after reading yours!)

Nothing from PTE.

Cheers,

Arthur.

I know he is 96 years of age, but he is all there with his lemon drops & knows to check his spam, so I would give him the benefit of the doubt that he hasn't received the new key. As there has been no response from PTE themselves on here, I assume it has dropped off the radar. I am seeing him Tuesday next week & hope there has been some response.

Hello,

I have resent the key to Arthur Holt. It has been sent to the e-mail which I found in our records. If he has another e-mail now, please tell me what it is.

Kind regards,

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Alena

I have just checked with Arthur & the email from you arrived at 9.32 this morning. Hopefully I can make it operate tomorrow when I see him.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :unsure:

Guest Yachtsman1

Just back from my friend Arthur's. Unfortunately we didn't have time to re-envigorate PTE, I just copied the new key to a memory stick & the wnsoft folder in programmes. We won't be meeting for another 2 weeks, so I will report back then. Incidentally the key would not copy & paste as usual in Windows, I had to copy it to note pad as has been mentioned many times on here. Could this be the reasons for so many reports of key failure???

Yachtsman1.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Yachtsman1

Just back fom my penultimate visit to Arthur's. Pleased to say the visit was OK & the new emailed key opened PTE. It took two attempts though. First attemt was to copy only the key string, then copied all the contents including the text. This worked.

yachtsman1

Thanks Lennart.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

I have just read this thread with horror!! I have a new 5 day old PC with quad CPU, oodles of RAM and Windows 7. I have been a user of PTE for yonks and I have V7 beta 12 on my old machine. I tried downloading beta 14 (as a trial)on the new one and registering with my version 5 keyword. I keep all my keywords saved online. No good, it just ignores the keyword. I am not going to mess about with my registry but I want PTE on my new PC. Please will someone advise me what to do in words of no more than two syllables. I am seventy something not 96 and fairly computer literate but I shouldn't have to be asking this question. Regards Peter N.

Peter,

In anticipation of similar problems I did a little experiment.

I purchased my original key during the days of V4 so I loaded V4.9 on a W7 machine and just told PTE where the REG.TXT was - no problem. I then loaded V5 and V6.5 and V7 in turn and they accepted the reg.txt in the usual way.

If it is any help start from the version which was current when you purchased your key.

It worked for me.

DG

me too - -mine was v 3.2

but i called on the Hawk to remind me when i installed it to version 7 as he did when he was doing the same -- when i worked we all carried a black book -= our cheat sheets in back pocket -- plant upset -- black books were on the desk asap :)

when things and life was a lot simpler - Igor would send a reg file no problem

Sun 26/11/2000 7:24 AM

Dear KEN,

Thank you for registering PicturesToExe!

The newest version of the program is 3.20; it is available at our web page:

http://www.wnsoft.com

How to activate the key:

1) Close all running copies of PicturesToExe.

2) Save attached file to any folder and double-click on it in Windows Explorer.

3) Run PicturesToExe. The program is registered now!

This registration will work with all future versions of PicturesToExe

(otherwise, we'll provide you with the new one - free of charge, of

course). If you lose this file, please drop the letter to support@wnsoft.com

and we'll send it to you again.

You're welcome to submit any questions, suggestions and comments about

PicturesToExe! Please let us know what you would like to see in

the future versions.

If you want to be informed about new releases of our products please subscribe

to our mailing list: http://www.wnsoft.com/ml.htm

Igor Kokarev, WnSoft Inc.

igor@wnsoft.com

Fri 27/07/2001 2:00 PM

I attached your new reg. key.

How to activate the key:

1) Close all running copies of PicturesToExe.

2) Save attached file to any folder and double-click on it in Windows Explorer.

3) Run PicturesToExe. The program is registered now!

Thanks,

Igor Kokarev, WnSoft Inc.

Member of Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP)

igor@wnsoft.com

ken