WnSoft Forums

Help File

JSlugman

Is anyone out there including a help file with your shows (and are willing to share)? I'm thinking of including one with some e-books I'm working on and would rather not re-invent the wheel. I'm thinking of including it as an html page.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Ray had a nice one - I gave him mine and he modified it for his use, came out very nicely.

Here's what I use (changes a bit for each show):

Dear xxxxxx slideshow recipient: Date

This CD contains a slideshow of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The slideshow displays the images on your computer screen with music in the background. The main menu for the slideshow will appear automatically when you insert the CD into your CD-ROM drive.

If you want to copy the slideshow to your computer hard drive, copy these two files: xxxxx.exe and xxxxxxx.exe. You can run the show (from your hard drive or from the CD) by double-clicking on Mainmenu-Dylan-Challenger-02.exe. If you are running the show from the CD, you can start the show by opening and closing your CD drive. ESC will stop the show.

The CD-ROM and slideshow are Windows-based, and won’t run on a Mac.

There is also a folder on the CD called Web Pages that contains all the original images in web pages that allow you to browse the images via thumbnails. Simply open the file “page_01.htm” in the Web Pages directory. (You can do this from the show menu - only when you are running the show from the CD - by clicking on the button to browse pictures on the CD, or navigate there directly via Windows Explorer.) Use these images if you want to print out pictures on your printer or upload JPG files to internet sites (like http://www.ofoto.com or http://www.ezprints.com) to order pictures. There are more pictures on the web pages than in the show, as I did not use every picture I took in the show.

Depending on the speed/power of your computer and CD-ROM drive, you may need to copy the files from the CD-ROM to a folder on your hard drive for the images/music to play smoothly. Try it off the CD-ROM first, but if the images don’t proceed in a fairly steady pace, or if the music catches/stops you may need to copy them to a folder on your hard drive and play it from there.

The show will run at 800x600 or larger screen resolution. Most PCs these days default to 800x600 or greater, so your display resolution will probably be fine. If the colors in the pictures look strange, your display is probably set to too few colors. In that case, go to Control Panel and open the “Display” applet there. Click on the “Settings” tab and select High Color (16 bit) from the drop-down list in the “Color Palette” section. If you don’t see a High Color (16 bit) selection, pick the highest setting available. 32 bit is not better than 16 bit, so don’t select that – you don't need to run at 32 bit color unless you have a specific reason to do so.

Enjoy!

Dana

my email address

I printed out Dana's help file to include with the cd when I give it to a client.

I think it is well read and provides more info than I had thought to hand out. You mention that if the show doesn't run steady to copy the files to your hard drive and play it from there. I have found this problem on occasion and didn't realize there was a work around solution. Is it the cd reader that can't keep up? I always thought it was a slow processor?

You mention that to copy the show to a hard drive to copy two different files

(both exe) Is this the entire show? Is there a way to only copy a portion of the show to a hard drive(such a the jpeg files)

pushu,

All the files are contained within the .exe file itself and can't be moved separately (unless you provide them separately) or unless you're handy with a cyber-pickaxe. It seems to me (and we all know I'm not a smart ma-hun) that the access time for CD drives is significantly slower than a hard drive and that might be the bottleneck a lot of us smack into. ;)