WnSoft Forums

Video Converter

Ray Groome

I am unclear as to how I should use the Video Converter. When it converted an avi video, the saved file was not supplied with an extension and so it was necessary to add this before pte could recognise it. I added an avi extension to the converted file - which 'solved' the problem, but I am wondering if another extension would have provided a better result. Please advise.

Ray Groome

If you use the default "Save" the converter is, apparently, designed to save in the optimum format for PTE i.e. MP4.

If however, you want to "Save As" you need to add the ".mp4" to the file name when you save.

I do not think that it is intended to convert all formats to all other formats.

DG

If you use the default "Save" the converter is, apparently, designed to save in the optimum format for PTE i.e. MP4.

If however, you want to "Save As" you need to add the ".mp4" to the file name when you save.

I do not think that it is intended to convert all formats to all other formats.

DG

Thanks, that's solved it for me. The issue only occurs if you change the 'destination'.

Ray Groome

I have another problem that you may be able to help me with.

I am wanting to export an edited video from Adobe Premier Elements to the Video Converter and I am not sure which settings I should use in Premier Elements. To my surprise I have found that under Share/ Export files for viewing on Computer/ AVI/ Advanced/ there is a setting 'Video Codec for PICTURESTOEXE' !!. Fame, indeed! But when I try that I cannot open the file in Video Converter. Any advice please?

Ray Groome

Hi Ray,

I can't tell you which setting might be best from Elements, but don't use the PTE Codec because it's only designed as a temporary way of holding information for creating AVI files with PTE, it's not a "standard" codec but quite specific to PTE's internal AVI creation.

Probably, you would want to use the best possible settings in Elements and export (depending on where you live) either a 30 frame per second (NTSC) or 25 frame per second (PAL) mp4, if that's a choice. The PTE converter will convert to an amenable mp4 which has the best quality/performance settings for PTE. I've noticed no apparent loss of quality when I convert an HD 1080p MOV output from my Nikon D7000 via the PTE converter. The mp4 which PTE creates looks exactly the same, but plays perfectly smoothly while the huge MOV plays jerky if I import it directly. If I set my camera for a 640x480 MOV output, that one plays smoothly in PTE without conversion. Bottom line - try it several ways with a short video and choose the one which gives the best performance with the least file size overhead.

Best regards,

Lin

I have another problem that you may be able to help me with.

I am wanting to export an edited video from Adobe Premier Elements to the Video Converter and I am not sure which settings I should use in Premier Elements. To my surprise I have found that under Share/ Export files for viewing on Computer/ AVI/ Advanced/ there is a setting 'Video Codec for PICTURESTOEXE' !!. Fame, indeed! But when I try that I cannot open the file in Video Converter. Any advice please?

Ray Groome