WnSoft Forums

Licensing and Upgrades

Igor

We will make several important changes in licensing of PicturesToExe and in the upgrade policy with an immediate effect after the release date of PicturesToExe Deluxe 7.0.

Changes for New Customers

1. We announce the end of sales of Standard edition.

2. We begin sell only Deluxe edition of PicturesToExe at same price as now ($75).

3. Instant delivery of a license key. A customer receives his key immediately after purchasing.

4. We introduce new license keys. Simple view of a new key guarantees that the key will be safely delivered to a customer. Example of a new license key:

A1W79-NB5DE-2G2U3-ABCSB-PUQA4

5. Deluxe edition is licensed on the "new version = pay upgrade charge" basis. Free upgrades to minor versions. We plan release major versions which require pay for the upgrade every 12-24 months. We will release free minor versions with a number of new features.

6. You can skip upgrade for at least one major version.

For example: If you buy version 7.0 you get free upgrade to 7.0.1, free upgrade to 7.5. You can skip paid upgrade to 8.0. And upgrade later 9.0 with discount.

7. Cost of upgrade to a new major version is 40% of full version.

8. Customer always uses one license key. After the upgrade customer receives a new license key which replaces the old one.

Changes for Existing Customers

Summary: These changes almost don't affect to existing users of PicturesToExe who bought PicturesToExe before the release of version 7.0.

2. All existing users use their current license keys. No need to change license keys.

3. Users of Standard edition, Personal edition, and Business edition (hereafter we use term "Standard edition") install and use all future versions for free within functions of Standard edition.

4. Users of Deluxe edition have 2 years of free upgrades to any future versions since date of purchasing. Later they can use any previous version with all functions for unlimited time, or use any future version within functions of Standard edition, or pay for the upgrade to the latest Deluxe version at special price (40% of full version).

5. After the upgrade of Deluxe edition (from Standard edition or expired Deluxe key) you get a second license key for Deluxe features which allows free upgrades to minor versions, and paid upgrades to major versions. Your original license key still allows use any future versions for free within Standard edition regardless of the second Deluxe key.

Reasons of These Changes

1. Old licensing system was very complicated for understanding. Two years of free upgrades for Deluxe was not typical offer for software. User who already bought Standard edition could see again a nag-screen when he tried to access Deluxe features. It caused annoyance. The problem also came when Deluxe user faced with a sitation when Deluxe part in the new version expired and required new license. Whereas Standard functions worked fine.

2. New licensing since version 7.0 will be simple and we offer simple upgrade policy.

3. I'd like to explain the reason why we want to stop free upgrades for life for new customers. It was a serious problem for normal growth of our company.

With upgrades we can have predictable income for our company, even if we face with a possible saturation of professional market share in future.

We need more programmers for our second new product, we need more Mac programmers, we plan to hire staff for technical support during all 7 days per week. And we need new beta-tester. We plan spend funds for promotion (marketing) of PicturesToExe and to improve our website. All these expenses require more funds and predictable income.

If we feel that a future version doesn't have enough number of significant improvements and features we will publish it as a free upgrade.

With hope on your understanding.

There will be the inevitable howls of protest from certain quarters. Personally, I have always thought that from a business stand-point the product was under-priced and the free-for-life standard upgrades potentially self-defeating. I'm more than happy to pay to keep abreast of a product as good as this, at whatever intervals major upgrades occur. I sincerely hope that the licensing will resolve what has seemed to be an ongoing issue for far longer than it should - hopefully this has not been to the detriment of sales.

It's very easy to understand this way:

• For existing Standard Edition users nothing changes.
  • For existing Deluxe Edition users there is a new purchase agreement for Deluxe Edition upgrades (There is no change for Standard Edition feature upgrades).
  • For users making first-time purchases there is a new purchase agreement.

Personally, I've always been very happy with this programme and what I've always thoought of as a more than fair and honest approach to its customers. This new structure doesn't change my opinion.

As I understand it, PtoE is honouring its promises to those of us who bought the product years or even just days ago. I think that should be appreciated. We don't have the right to demand more.

Nothing stands still and companies have to grow or die. It's a harsh but unfortunate reality. Even worse, the smaller but succesful companies get gobbled up by the greedy giants. Let's be grateful that the PtoE we all love will, hopefully, retain that 'family feel' that it seems to have at present.

Igor and his team have my very good wishes for all that they want to achieve. I for one will be staying firmly on board.

Regards,

Sheila G

Just a question: What will be the conditions for a user with an old standard license who wants to upgrade after the release of version 7?

Regards,

Xaver

If you continue use all future new versions within features of Standard edition you need not pay for the upgrade.

Deluxe features are: HD video output, DVD, YouTube/Facebook, video for iPad and iPhone.

If you continue use all future new versions within features of Standard edition you need not pay for the upgrade.

Deluxe features are: HD video output, DVD, YouTube/Facebook, video for iPad and iPhone.

Sorry for posing an imprecise question!

What I would like to know: What will be the conditions for a user with an old standard license who wants to upgrade to the full (deluxe) version after the release of version 7 (next month, or in three years)?

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Igor

I upgraded to deluxe on 1st September and was very impressed.

However,on getting my new PC and transferring the program to it things have gone wrong. I can install the program OK,but upon pasting the license key into the activate box it tells me OK, close down and restart program,when I do that it shows that I am running an evaluation copy.

I have submitted a support request and received an answer yesterday,but it does not help me,they sent me a PDF of my invoice and told me to contact WnSoft seller. Confused? I am.

Which version are you try to activate?

If you are trying to activate the new FULL Version 7 (released on Friday) with a key bought on the 1st Sept I can visualize a problem.

Try installing the version which was CURRENT when you bought the key? (V7 Beta 20).

Just guessing.

DG

Keyboard,

If you bought the UPGRADE then as Brian says the ORIGINAL (normal) key might be required to get you going and then the Upgrade Key when required to do the upgrade.

I posted recently somewhere else that I installed V4.4.9 with my original (normal) key on a W7 machine and then V5, V6.5 and finally V7 worked OK for me.

DG

Keyboard,

Its appears to me you still need to load your old original PTE key registration. Your new upgrade key purchase only unlocks the video builder/deluxe features ... your original PTE key will unlock the standard features. Basically, you need to load both keys to enable the full program.

I say this because of your comment "all was fine till you transferred to your new PC".

*Your recent upgrade key purchase does not appear to fall within the new licensing system timeline.

Hi Folks

Many thanks to all who posted with helpful replies to my problem regarding license key registration. I searched through my old hard drive from Windows XP and managed to find the original key file from version 4,entered it into 7 deluxe and everything came up roses.

I need a drink :)

John.