WnSoft Forums

'Keep full slide duration'-question

goddi

I thought that my JPEG would show that moving a slide does NOT have that effect?

DG

====================

NOTE: I tried to reply to your PM but it would not let me. Not sure why. (Error message: Array) I see you also took another look at my gifs. So I am replying to your PM here:

Dave,

Hmmmmm.... Well, my gifs show that the durations were NOT kept. So what am I doing wrong?????????

I think I will just have a beer...it's 5 o'oclock somewhere. This is driving me a little goofy.

I expected after saying that durations are not being retained when a slide is moved in the Timeline, that I'd get at least some replies saying that it is true or not true or I am nuts or something. No one else has responded to my question. So I think I will give up. :rolleyes:

Gary

Hmm...

If making a manual transition to a slide in the Timeline causes changes to other slides, that obviously should not happen and I take it all back. I haven't downloaded 7.01 and don't intend to until you guys and Igor have got it all sorted!

Robert,

No changes for the timeline mode in version 7.0 or 7.0.1.

It same as in 6.5

======================

Igor,

Let me take one more crack at my question.

When, in the Timeline view, and a slide is moved, is there a way to keep the duration of the slide from changing (I am not talking about the transition time of that slide-that does not seem to change)? Also, when a slide is moved, can the duration of the the other slides not be affected by the movement of the one slide? You can see my gifs in attachment to a posting above to illustrate my point.

If not, can this be implemented? While this might not be a useful default to some, I think it would be useful to use a control key during the move to temporarily lock-in the existing duration times so they don't change. The durations don't change in the Sides view, so I would expect that they would not change in the Timeline view.

Thanks,

Gary

Hmmm,

In 701:

You can change the transition time in the Slide View and the Timeline.

But the resulting effect on the overall time of the show will be different in one compared to the other.

The effect is not immediate - you have to choose a different slide and/or toggle slide and timeline to apply the changes

I'll leave you with that.

DG

Sorry Gary, You were saying...?

Edited to simplify the statement.

Hmmm,

In 701:

Increasing the transition time of slide 6 via the Customize Slide or the Slide View maintains the Duration of slide 5 but decreases the time between transitions.

Increasing the transition time of slide 6 by dragging the transition gray bar in the Timeline maintains the time between transitions in Slide 5 but increases the Duration in the Slide View.

I'll leave you with that.

DG

Sorry Gary, You were saying...?

=========================

Dave,

I don't know if your posting above about transition times of slides is meant for me but here is what I was saying:

I have been referring to the actual moving of an image. I am not talking about increase or decreasing transition times. I have said all along that when an image is moved in the Timeline, the slide's transition times go with it just fine. The problem is moving the slide from point A to point B, in the Timeline view, the duration of the slide does not stay with the moved image, nor do the durations for the other 2 images that are affected in the move.

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

As we only have one or two ? moderators who use video in PTE (Lin & ?), I believe the subject should frozen until Lin & Co & Igor have got to the bottom of the problem if it is a problem. This toing & froing is not good for Wnsoft or the forum.

Yachtsman1. :(

no gary there have been two converations going on for some time.

re your q if you move in the slide view it should make more sense.

dg

============================

Dave,

Well, since I started this discussion with my question, I was hoping it would stay on track. It got off on a new track when transitions and grey bars, etc. got pulled in., That's not part of my question. Seems like no one can answer my questions.

Gary

Gary,

Seems like no one can answer my questions.

I would have thought my previous post with links to Igor's comments would have somewhat answered your query.

The short and simple answer is that the new Keep Full Slide Duration feature will not move/sort Slides as you expect within the Timeline.

Personally my own opinion ... I dont see any real advantage of being able to move Slides in the Timeline as you suggest. The current Timeline is not well suited to move or arrange Slides ... most simply because you cannot properly see all the images/slides to quickly select and sort/move them about as the Slide List already allows. Adding additional buttons or controls to allow such action in the Timeline is currently better served with the tabs to toggle the Slide List/Timeline views or F4 key.

Let us assume that we are in the middle of producing an AV sequence with carefully synchronized transition points. We look at our intermediate result. A particular transition seems to be too short. We open the Customize Slide dialogue, and we change the transition time. Now it depends on the view (Slides or Timeline) what is going to happen. In one case we have shifts of transition points (the synchronization has gone), in the other one we have not :wacko:

This is confusion by design!

Regards,

Xaver

Gary,

I would have thought my previous post with links to Igor's comments would have somewhat answered your query.

The short and simple answer is that the new Keep Full Slide Duration feature will not move/sort Slides as you expect within the Timeline.

Personally my own opinion ... I dont see any real advantage of being able to move Slides in the Timeline as you suggest. The current Timeline is not well suited to move or arrange Slides ... most simply because you cannot properly see all the images/slides to quickly select and sort/move them about as the Slide List already allows. Adding additional buttons or controls to allow such action in the Timeline is currently better served with the tabs to toggle the Slide List/Timeline views or F4 key.

=============================

Nobeefstu...

My initial question had to do with the Keep Full Slide Duration because I thought it would retain ('Keep') the duration of a slide that you would move. I really did not care about how it is adding up the various duration times. I prefer the old method. Now I realize that the Keep Full Slide Duration function has no use for me in my work. So I see now that this function won't do what I am trying to do. I am trying to find out why you can move a slide while retaining the slide's duration in the Slides view but not in the Timeline view. And another confusing thing about the Keep Full Slide Duration is that it stays on the screen when you switch to the Slides view when it does offer any function in that view...it should disappear when in the Slides view.

You might not see any real advantage but I certainly do. In the Timeline view, you have the waveform to work with. In the Slides view you don't. I think it is very well suited to make adjustment in slide organization in the Timeline view. What baffles me is that you can move a slide in the Slides view and keep the slide's duration, but not in the Timeline view. This makes absolutely no sense to me. If I have created a slide show with all the correct durations for each slide and I just want to rearrange the order of some slides, why not be able to do it in the Timeline view while you have the Timeline to help see the consequences of these movements as they relate to the waveform. I don't want to have to switch into the Slides view, make changes and then have to switch back to the Timeline view to see how the changes relates to the waveform.

For a new user, this really must be a bag of worms to try to understand. I am an old user and it is just not intuitive.

Gary

This is getting silly.

Igor has posted this note 06.33 PM yesterday:

Robert,

No changes for the timeline mode in version 7.0 or 7.0.1.

It same as in 6.5

Consequently, I opened a production on which I have been working recently in 7.0. I moved a slide on the Timeline. This had no effect on any of the other slides, as Igor says. I then changed a transition on a slide. Likewise, this had no effect on any of the other slides.

Are people seeing different effects when using the same programme?

RobertAlbright,

Are people seeing different effects when using the same programme?

Its hard to say what different effects people are seeing ... since this original topic posted by Gary has splintered into some different conversations not quite relative to Gary's question. My feedback has only related to Gary's original question. I know Gary has always wanted to be able to move/sort slides in the Timeline just as the Slide List provides ... but the new feature does not provide the move/sort slides function he was hoping for.

Its a multi conversation topic ... pick one :huh:

Let me know when the nightmare is over and I can wake up!!

Still watching from the sidelines at the occasionally CAPITALISED and pretty red coloured text ...... but now sadly with somewhat diminishing interest.....although for my two penneth it makes more sense, if you really want to 'unartistically' look at pretty numbers in the slide view' to have the transition between two 'slides' shown as an A/B number between those two slides that the transition relates too and the time shown above the slide the actual time on screen when it 'ain't doing nowt'!

As the furry animals on the TV might say - 'simples'!!!

BK The Grumpy chappie from AV News

start your show with 4.49

get stopwatch, notepad and lots of time

play with your masterpiece with 4.49 till you are satisfied

then open it with 7.0.1 and see how it runs – save as with a new name – study what you want to do – make notes and proceed slowly

save as with different names

ver 4.49 is used to do the basics—slide arrangement - try different music etc – the gui is what you are familiar with

do all the grunt work with 4.47 and the fancy stuff with 7.0.1

ken