WnSoft Forums

Modifying Transition Times

davegee

Modifying Transition Times in PicturesToExe with "Keep Full Slide Duration" Ticked

There are three ways of modifying Transition Times:

In the Slide View using the Transition Time Box in the Slide Icon

In the Slide View using the Customize Slide button

In the Timeline View

To see the true effect of modifying transition times in the Slide View it is necessary to go to the Timeline View, read the overall time and then return to the Slide View. Under certain circumstances the overall show time in the Mini-Player is not being updated and it is possible to see different values in the Timeline and the Mini-Player at the same time. The overall show time in the Mini-Player also shows timings without decimal places e.g. 15.999 seconds becomes 15 seconds.

Using the Transition Time Box in the Slide Icon:

Click in the Transition Time Box (in the Slide Icon) and modify the Transition Time. Increasing the Transition Time of a slide by this method will decrease the overall time of a show. Decreasing the Transition Time of a slide by this method will increase the overall time of a show.

Reversing what has been done – returning the transition effect time back to its original value by the same method – will return the overall show time to its original value.

Using Customise Slide:

In the Slide View, click on a slide and click on Customize Slide. In the Effect Tab click on "Use own transition effect" and change the time in the Effect Duration box. Click OK and then click on timeline to see the effect on the overall show time. Increasing the transition time will decrease the overall time of the show. Decreasing the transition time will increase the overall time of a show.

Reversing what has been done – returning the transition effect time back to its original value by the same method – will return the overall show time to its original value.

Using the Timeline View:

In the Timeline View the most obvious way to change a Transition Time is to click on the right side of the Gray Transition Time bar and drag to change its value. The effect of this is to change to Slide Duration of the previous slide (the Slide Duration being the time from the beginning of a slide to the end of the next slide's transition time). Increasing the transition time this way increases the Slide Duration of the previous slide. Decreasing the transition time this way decreases the Slide Duration of the previous slide. Changing the Transition Time this way in the Timeline has no effect on the overall time of the show. This method produces predictable but undesirable effects when applied to overlapping Videos. If the transition time is increased then the previous slide's video will stop before the overlap is complete and the incoming video has fully faded in.

If the Customise Slide Button is used in the Timeline View the effect appears to be the same as when using the dragging method in the Timeline.

DG

• 3 years later...

I am having trouble establishing a set viewing time and transition rates on a series of images within a show. I know I must be missing something but everything I do doesn't seem to stick.

I have several pieces of music for the show, most with different rhythms or varying w/in the individual piece.

I want to adjust the images and their transitions to the music.

Using P2E 8 Deluxe and no updates available. Running on Win7 machine.

Working from the Timeline tab, I select a series of images by selecting one, holding down the Shift key and selecting the last one in the string of images I want to adjust.

I right click or Ctrl+U to bring up the Customize Selected Slides window.

On the Main tab I have selected "Slide duration" at 4 or 5 seconds for example.

I've selected "Show next slide after the indicated time interval" and "By default (Show.....).

On the Transition tab, under "Transition from Project options" I discovered that "Default transition" would not allow me to make a change from the default set in the Project. So, I select "Default transition with own duration". However, that didn't seem to stick either.

I then select "Dissolve" under the "Basic transition" and set the "Transition effect duration" to whatever time I can accept for the grouping. That doesn't stick either after clicking OK.

The idea is that this should get me close enough that I can then adjust each one manually as I proceed, if needed.

But, it doesn't seem to apply the settings to the group of images.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Joe

Hi Joe,

First, you need to be aware, when searching for help, of the age of the thread that you have discovered. The two threads that you have picked on today come from 2009 and 2011 respectively and the information contained in them is now (possibly) out of date.

The current version of PTE is 8.0.9 and you need to go to this thread to read in full and download the latest version:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17226-picturestoexe-8/

Currently, the "Check for updates" in Help only applies to MAJOR updates (e.g. 8.x.x to 9).

In Customize Selected Slides (V8.0.9):

You need to tick the Slide Duration Box, then enter a new time in seconds. Until you tick the "Slide Duration" box the time shown is that of the first selected slide.

When you then Click OK all selected slides will be at the set time.

In the Transitions Tab, tick the CUSTOMIZE box at the top and then make your alterations. When you then click OK your set transition/time will be applied to all selected slides.

DG

AH! You guys are the BEST! Thank you both for your prompt replies and additional insight and the great tutorial. Now I understand what some of those additional buttons really do. THANKS!!!

I did discover some of my oversights in the late hours last evening and things are working better now. However, yachtsman, your insight on the "Insert Transition Point" button was most helpful. And, YES, I agree, if it was closer to the other control buttons in the centre it would be more obvious that it was for controlling the transitions of the slides. Again, Thank You both for your support and great works.

Joe B