AVG 2012

Antbrewer

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Minor mis-information in previous post. It was five files that AVG detected: two were created with v6.00, two with v6.5 beta 15 and one with 6.51. Those PTE version numbers were obtained by opening the relevant PTE project files into Notepad and reading the version data from there. The only way I could find out if I had any other sequences that were made with those specific versions would be to open each and every project file into Notepad to be able to read the PTE version data. At a rough estimate I have over two hundred separate PTE project files (real sequences and menu sequences; and some of my projects have had their project file saved at multiple stages during development so that I could use them to illustrate how my thinking about a sequence developed over time). Sorry folks but I'm not prepared to put that amount of manual effort in.

I'm not going to change anything for the moment, but over the weekend I might take a look at uninstalling AVG and installing Microsoft Security Essentials. I have downloaded MSE in anticipation of that. I now need to research how to completely uninstall AVG Free 2012. I'd rather get on and do something more useful, but I suppose it keeps my out of mischief!

regards,

Peter

Peter,

I just got fed up with the whole scenario and did it!

AVG uninstalled without any help from the link I gave you.

MSE went in smoothly but took a while. Don't think that it has stopped - it takes time.

After the re-boot I thought that it was doing nothing but it was downloading updates.

Tried it on the "Suspect File" and it appears no longer to be suspect.

I have set it up for a daily scan and update.

DG

Gerard,

I was in Cochem many years ago and, at this time of the year, the light there would be amazing. I'm envious.

DG

To add a little relaxation note to this - long, interesting and useful - thread, and to remind you, Dave, of some nice Mosel landscapes, I have put on my website 3 pictures taken last Sunday, starting from this page.

They are virus-free (just saying this so as not to be off topic) B)

At last, some light in the darkness!

One of the sequences that AVG has been complaining about was built using v6.51 of PTE. My current level of v6.5 of PTE was v6.54. I still had the download zip for v6.51 so I installed that and tried to do a fresh create of the failing EXE using PTE v6.51. Now AVG will not let me do that create. It says that the file PCExecutable.exe in C:\Program Files(x86)\Wnsoft PicturesToEXE\6.5 has a Trojan in it.

This suggests to me that it is the PTE kernel code that the Anti-virus software is complaining about, rather then the actual sequence itself. It also suggests that either Igor is not ensuring that each new version gets formally accepted onto the anti-virus companies "white list" of acceptable code, or that, from time to time, these companies corrupt their own white lists and remove previously valid entries.

My next step will be to re-instate PTE v6.54 and attempt to create the failing sequence using that. Will report back shortly.

regards,

Peter

Stonemason,

I think I would rather have a few occasional "false alarms" and know that the software was working than have a silent system and wonder how much was slipping through undetected. Previous database levels of AVG have "seen" the sequence files that the latest database is "failing", and have passed them as clean. This tells me that, whatever the root cause of this current problem, it lies with AVG and not with PTE or myself. But it is very annoying when it happens. Throughout this recent rash of problems with AVG I have remained confident that, with my working methods and my portfolio of hardware/software defences, my system was and is free of all forms of virus, trojan, worm, adware, spyware and all other such malwares.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I take your point,but I can assure you that Comodo is anything but silent if there is any kind of threat, and like you I am confident that my system is very well protected. I put forward comodo as a free alternative to anyone who is having trouble with AVG and might like to try an alternative solution. I have also found that comodo is less demanding on the system and there is no speed hit that I am able to detect. I cannot say this for versions of AVG I have used in the past. I have been using comodo for the last two years, and thus far it has been trouble free.

Regards

Geoff

Ken,

I have just personally replied to your PM with the Scan-details you requested concerning Mediafire and there are problems..

Peter,

I sent you a PM requesting that you trasnfer my Posts #56 and #60 on the AVG-Topic to the New Off-Topic Section ~ No see !!

Other Members:-

There is absolutely no point in blaming 'Downloadable-Software' which arrives at your PC from a "remote-source" half way

across the World because between your PC and that (remote) Server there will be numerous ISP-Links delivering that Program.

On it way to you, its carried on the 'Open-Internet' and that System and its local ISP-Providers and their Links are under

attack by "rogues" and "others" with their own agenda and software deliberately designed to "add-in" unwanted extras and

unsolicited Adverts and a lot more undesirable things such as "Double-Click Adware" and malicious Trojans together with an

amount of 'Rootkits' and 'Browser-Hijackers' ~ which you nor the ISP-providers want.

I dont see the point of 'waiting' to get attacked with this rubbish which compromises your downloadable Software and your

Computer and then depending on your Anti-Virus to protect you when the "Infection" is knocking on your Door.

Microsoft has gone overboard in providing a new-method of advanced protection in the form of "Microsoft-Security Essentials"

which is protecting their own interests and now extended to those who wish to use it. This 16.Mb program never grow in size

with daily Anti-virus updates (which the Hacker can download) because it works actively 'on-line' with you and now and then it

is refreshed so foiling attempts to interfer with it ~ Yes it is silent for very good reasons ~ but it does give you a summary

Report on its findings once you know how to use that utility. (See examples below).

Brian.(Conflow)

post-1416-0-99758900-1322279966_thumb.gi

post-1416-0-12464400-1322279975_thumb.gi

The plot thickens

I down loaded the original Africa show that Colin gave me in October – I also saved to my files at mediafire

I uploaded the original that Colin gave me in October from my computer

Then I downloaded the original from my files at mediafire

The Africa show is +- 180 mb’s

They all tested ok with avg

Mediafire used BitDefender as their anti virus scanner

ken

I just made 2 shows with v6.5.1 and 6.5.4 [ I HAD TO INSTALL BOTH PROGRAMS] and the EXE'S work perfect

AVG 2012.0.1873

DAT - 2101/4644 NOV 28

THIS WAS DONE ON MY XP SYSTEM

just booted up my win 7 system

12:30 EST walked out of room -- came back and my screen full of AVG THREATS/TROGANS

2192/4655 NOV3 2011 0233 PM

post-16-0-33713900-1322977162_thumb.gif

post-16-0-46487700-1322977194_thumb.gif

post-16-0-44910900-1322977207_thumb.gif

post-16-0-38957100-1322977226_thumb.gif

NO DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES

I POSTED THE PCTURES TO ADVISE PEOPLE THESE WERE THE FILES THAT AVG PICKED UP ON

IF SOMEBODY THAT HAS ONE OF YOUR EXE'S AND AVG AND THEY WRITE YOU SAYING THEY HAVE A TROGAN YOU CAN ADVISE THEM OF WHAT IS GOING ON

KEN

I have tried to save my older versions of PTE exe files in version 7.0 under another name and I am

not able to as AVG brings up the Trojan virus warning.

I attempted to contact AVG last night on their chat section and got no joy as I waited for over an hour with no answer.

I would certainly load another internet security programme, but I am unfortunately "locked in" as I have just paid my

years subscription for the 2012 version.

Can someone please advise as to whether Igor has followed this up because in my opinion, there are many users of AVG

out there who are going to get p.....ed of with this situation.

Colin