WnSoft Forums

AVG 2012

Antbrewer

Guest Yachtsman1

I have AVG & Morasofts reindeer show on my system with no flags. Looking at Ken's screen shots, the flagged shows are all from Beechbrook? or is Mediafire's URL hidden?

Yachtsman1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest, I don't understand why you keep on 'testing', alarming people and filling pages of this forum when it's obvious and proven that this software is faulty and just not reliable.

Sometimes it works well and sometimes not, finding malware in the very same file where there was none, depending upon the release. Too much attention and time have now been devoted to it.

There are professional and free alternatives to this scam.

Guest Yachtsman1

ERIC

ARE YOU UP TO DATE WITH AVG

AVG THREATS/TROGANS

2192/4655 NOV3 2011 0233 PM

ARE YOU RUNNIG VER 7.0.3

KEN

Hi Ken

My AVG is version 9.0.920 free, last scan yesterday. Nothing untoward.

My PTE is version 6.0.4

regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

I have just got pte 4.49 working on my win 7 64 bit system -- took a bit of fiddling but the exe it made tests ok with my current install of avg

I have some test shows at mediafire made with early ver 4 - MS essentials nail them as a virus

I plan on putting this show up to mediafire and will supply the link to interested parties - i will not reply to pm's from the forum - i need your email addie

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

ERIC

so you cannot compare to what current avg is or current pte 7.0.3

ken

Hi Ken

No

I took a decision some time ago to let things lie as I was happy with what my system was doing & telling me. If you remember last week or the week before my AVG flagged up Colins show?

Yachtsman1.

Gerard has a point.

I took as much of AVG as I could because it was originally Igor's suggestion to use it - that was a long time ago.

I have MSE running on my Vista Laptop and my new W7 machine. No alerts whatsoever.

I am also still running my XP desktop and that has never been connected to the Internet and never had any flavour of Anti-Virus installed. Not only has it never alerted (it wouldn't would it!) but it has also never melted down. It might be a different story if I ever connected it to the Internet but I'm not going to do that.

This thread should be closed down and a sticky put up advising people what the problems are and that there are OTHER Anti-Virus softwares than AVG.

DG

Hi David,

EXCEPT.... there are hundreds of thousands of implementations of AVG being used by potential viewers of PTE shows. Even if "everyone" who visits this forum tossed out AVG and installed Microsoft Security Essentials, the very serious issue of false positives would remain a problem. The developers of AVG MUST fix this issue. Some time ago it was Symantec's SONAR product which was causing fits. They "finally" seem to have corrected their problem. Now it's AVG and similar programs which apparently use the same "engine" which are reporting the same false positives.

We can patch our own issues by using different products, but the real underlying problem is still there and it must be addressed, or the public's "opinion" of PTE will be severely compromised. In my opinion, we can't just bury our heads in the sand and ignore this.

Best regards,

Lin

Gerard has a point.

I took as much of AVG as I could because it was originally Igor's suggestion to use it - that was a long time ago.

I have MSE running on my Vista Laptop and my new W7 machine. No alerts whatsoever.

I am also still running my XP desktop and that has never been connected to the Internet and never had any flavour of Anti-Virus installed. Not only has it never alerted (it wouldn't would it!) but it has also never melted down. It might be a different story if I ever connected it to the Internet but I'm not going to do that.

This thread should be closed down and a sticky put up advising people what the problems are and that there are OTHER Anti-Virus softwares than AVG.

DG

But until Igor resolves the problem with avg/pte code it must remain open

and Dave what do you do about old shows and ms essentials -- apparently you cannot over ride it - you threw my program out without even trying it - there are a lot of old shows out there that you are deprived from with ms essentials installed

ken

Hi Ken

No

I took a decision some time ago to let things lie as I was happy with what my system was doing & telling me. If you remember last week or the week before my AVG flagged up Colins show? http://www.picturest...0617#entry90617

Yachtsman1.

Eric

sorry i guess i had a brain f__/lapse )

it comes with age

ken

My point is exactly what Lin has said. PTE will get a bad name out there from the hundred's of thousands who

also use AVG. The problem should be dealt with by AVG and the sooner the better. The hoo ha about putting this

problem to bed is probably the thought of those forum members who do not use AVG, but in my opinion, the problem

is there and what better place to try and sort it out than this forum.

I will not change to another anti virus programme and will hope that this problem can be sorted out. Thanks to Ken

who I know has put in many hours testing for the benefit of forum members and to keep us informed of what is happening.

Colin

Hi everyone,

I've checked back through this topic and the only post from Igor was back on 2 Nov and was about the customised icon that was suspected as playing a part in the original problem. I suspect he isn't watching this topic any more. Therefore I have e-mailed him a "heads up" to take a look at this topic and then put some pressure on AVG Support. Let's all cool it for a few days and give him and AVG Support a chance to sort this out.

regards,

Peter

HE WENT TO ISRAEL ON A MISSION FOR 2 WEEKS JUST WHEN THE DODO HIT THE FAN

I'm leaving on a trip for 8 days since Friday to visit one small country on Mediterranean Sea. For hiking and photography.

I think that he's back, as he released v 7.0.3 and we had several e-mail exchanges, the last one being yesterday.

Guest Yachtsman1

Just opened my folder of "shows by others" & The Wall flagged up as infected. As a precaution against further AVG problems I am considering MSE, however, the download page shows two versions (see screen shot) can anyone tell me which is correct?

Yachtsman1. :unsure:

post-5560-0-40048700-1323016546_thumb.jp

(...) I am considering MSE, however, the download page shows two versions (see screen shot) can anyone tell me which is correct?

It depends on which version of Windows your PC is running (32 or 64 bits). See this page http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit to know more.

[edit]

Once you know if it's 32 or 64 bits, if you go to this page, you'll see the following two choices :

post-704-0-60074300-1323020752_thumb.jpg

and it will be easy for you to choose the correct version of MSE.

Hallo,

I have the same problem. With PTE 7.03 and AVG free (last update) on a windows 7 64-bit system. Today afternoon, I received the message that there is a trojan horse in a pte, exe-file. Since then, PTE is frozen, also when I restart without AVG.

I have re-installed PTE 7.03, but no solution.

What can I do?

After disabling AVG residentshield, I can work with PTE.

Guest Yachtsman1

It depends on which version of Windows your PC is running (32 or 64 bits). See this page http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit to know more.

[edit]

Once you know if it's 32 or 64 bits, if you go to this page, you'll see the following two choices :

post-704-0-60074300-1323020752_thumb.jpg

and it will be easy for you to choose the correct version of MSE.

Hi Gerard

I am running W7 Professional 64bit, I've had it for 18 months. The screen shot in my previous post shows 2 versions, one with 64 in the prefix, so I am assuming that is the one but I'm still unsure how to proceed. I've had no PTE grief (flags) with AVG until the last couple of weeks.

regards

Yachtsman1.

Ken, from reading through this 5 page post I see that you have received a number of negative responses. (Just uninstall AVG, get ESET NOD, etc!)

May I, as a regular member of this forum, thank you for bringing this to attention of the PTE community, well done!

The most important aspect for me; is not AVG working on my system, (as I don't use it) but AVG working on the PC's of those kind folk who take the time to download my AV's! This has not happened to me; but I would be most upset if I sent a link to someone, who then tried to download it, only to discover that AVG detected a virus. It's all about respect, credibility and reputation.

When I post an 'exe' via Mediafire, I always tell folk that I have checked for virus/malware etc, before uploading. (I think Mediafire also does a check, but am not completely sure of this.) But I always tell them to make sure to run an antivirus prog, just in case the file has been tampered with as it flies across the "Interweb". To date, as I have said, I have not had a problem. But I think it is right and proper for you to highlight this issue, not only to fellow PTE users but also to Igor.

So, again well done and thank you.