WnSoft Forums

MPEG4 Files for HDTV

davegee

High, medium and low presets are certain values of "Quality" and "Audio bitrate" parameters in the Custom mode.....

In all these modes frame rate is 30p....

Hi Igor and Dave,

thank you for your reply, that is clearer but for me "Low" "Medium' "High" remain very subjective criteria.

speaking about H264 videos :

30p/s for video frame rate and 44100Hz as frequency sampling rate for audio are parameters commonly used in "american" countries

25p/s (50p/s) for video frame rate and 48000Hz as frequency sampling rate for audio are parameters commonly used in "european" countries.

The european customer attention should be drawn on that point. There is no great importance if they display their video clips on PC screens but with videoprojectors and TV sets (+ videos players) they can get jerky images if they do not make the right choices (even, some video players do not play the video if audio coding parameters are not the right ones (44100 versus 48000 for example)).

So that is also the reason why, as it is today, I would advice european customers to use preferentially "customized" parameters.

Daniel

MPEG4 Files for HDTV

When preparing a project for converting to MPEG4 for playing on a HDTV via USB the following, in my experience, are the settings which get the optimum results.

In Project Options > Screen set the Aspect Ratio (AR) of the project to 16:9 and the resolution to 1920x1080.

If your actual image AR is something different to 16:9 (3:2 or 4:3 etc) then the images will drop into the 16:9 frame and show with black lines either side.

[if the 3:2 or 4:3 AR is used for the project then with some HDTVs it is possible that the MPEG4 will be made to fit to the screen's width and cause the images to be distorted. Even if it shows OK on your HDTV it could show differently on someone else's HDTV if you are going to share it]

Use 1920x1080 (or 1080 High) images. Obviously, if the images are going to be zoomed into, then this has to be addressed. A general rule is that if you are going to zoom into an image to 200% then your images need to be twice as big (3840x2160 or 2160 High).

When you are ready to create the MPEG4 file, click on PUBLISH and choose "HD Video for PC and MAC".

In the next screen choose 1920x1080 and High Quality with Pan & Scan Enabled.

These settings have proved (in my experience) to give a result which VERY closely approximates the quality of the same project when saved as an EXE and viewed on your computer monitor. Using the CUSTOM parameters do not in my opinion enhance the final result for MPEG4 files for HDTV.

Select the location that you want for the resulting MPEG4 file – the default is the Project Folder where the PTE file is stored.

Transfer the MPEG4 file to a memory key and plug into the TV. The method of playing in the built in Media Player will differ with different makes of TV so that will need to be researched in the TV's Manual.

Because of the large file sizes of MPEG4 files it's wise to get a memory key which will hold a collection of them – I use a Kingston 16 Gb.

If you decide to try this approach I think that you will agree that the viewing experience for small groups of people - family etc - is well worth the effort.

DG

Dave

I have just come across this advice and found it very useful. It resulted in a very good quality presentation. My only small disappointment was on my Sony HD TV I lost a small amount from the top and bottom of the slide: I had placed a white line around the edge of each image and this was cut off at the top and bottom. What is the best solution to this?

Ray Groome

...speaking about H264 videos :

30p/s for video frame rate and 44100Hz as frequency sampling rate for audio are parameters commonly used in "american" countries

25p/s (50p/s) for video frame rate and 48000Hz as frequency sampling rate for audio are parameters commonly used in "european" countries.

Daniel,

It is my understanding that 44100Hz is the standard sample rate for commercially produced CDs and 48000Hz is, for some reason that I do not understand, the rate used by commercially produced DVDs. It is not, as far as I know, a matter of geography, for examaple: American CDs use 44100Hz and so do European ones.

Peter

ray

couple of ways of applying stroke line.in ps make sure stroke line is inside.in pte as a global png frame. as above.if pc monitor is hd then you should see same symptoms there. is pc monitor 16:10?please give a little more detail or pm me template in zip folder without images.if your pte setup is right have you altered your tv geometry at any time?dg

Hi Igor and Dave,

thank you for your reply, that is clearer but for me "Low" "Medium' "High" remain very subjective criteria.

speaking about H264 videos :

The european customer attention should be drawn on that point. There is no great importance if they display their video clips on PC screens but with videoprojectors and TV sets (+ videos players) they can get jerky images if they do not make the right choices (even, some video players do not play the video if audio coding parameters are not the right ones (44100 versus 48000 for example)).

So that is also the reason why, as it is today, I would advice european customers to use preferentially "customized" parameters.

Daniel

All modern players, LCD TVs, projectors can play 30p and 25p video. 44 KHz and 48 KHz.

I recommend use 44 KHz for audio track in HD video file, because almost all MP3s were encoded at 44 KHz. All audio CDs are 44 KHz. Better to keep the original frequency of audio. Avoid unnecessary conversions. Your sound card or audio system in TV will perform automatically conversion if necessary.

I recommend use 30p frame rate for HD video output for better smoothness of animation if your show contains only images. Use 30p even if you live in Europe, because all LCD TVs can play 30p content.

If your show contains video clips, set frame rate for output as frame rate of source video clips.

Of course, 50p/60p could be a better variant (than 25p/30p), but not all players correctly play these video files with high frame rate.

ray

couple of ways of applying stroke line.in ps make sure stroke line is inside.in pte as a global png frame. as above.if pc monitor is hd then you should see same symptoms there. is pc monitor 16:10?please give a little more detail or pm me template in zip folder without images.if your pte setup is right have you altered your tv geometry at any time?dg

Dave and Peter

Thank you for your replies. They helped me to resolve the problem- It provoked me to explore the settings of my TV and I found there was a facility for adjusting the display area; By changing the setting from 'Normal' to 'Full Pixel' I managed to obtain the white border around Dave's Test Example and my own A/V.

Another satisfied customer!

Ray Groome

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend use 44 KHz for audio track in HD video file, because almost all MP3s were encoded at 44 KHz. All audio CDs are 44 KHz. Better to keep the original frequency of audio. Avoid unnecessary conversions. Your sound card or audio system in TV will perform automatically conversion if necessary.

But broadcasted video and video clips produced by most of camera and camcorders in european countries are encoded at 48kHz (audio)

I recommend use 30p frame rate for HD video output for better smoothness of animation if your show contains only images. Use 30p even if you live in Europe, because all LCD TVs can play 30p content.

But broadcasted video and video clips produced by most of camera and camcorders in european countries are encoded at 25fps for 1920x1080i and 50fps for 1280x720p

If your show contains video clips, set frame rate for output as frame rate of source video clips.

But all european PTE users will have to make a video conversion in order to match PTE requirements based on american standards!

It is a bit surprising to read that the main part of PTE market today is UK and France but PTE uses american standards for video clips.

Most of european PTE users, who do not download their slideshow to YouTube or Vimeo, will have to convert their own video clips into american standards if they want to use them with PTE. Which is called "video optimization" ?? In any case, video conversion requires more time and quality loss.

So I agree to say that PTE is producing very good quality AV slideshows but technical evidences should not be confused with commercial needs.

Best regards

Daniel