WnSoft Forums

PTE Error Message

goddi

Greetings,

I am starting out creating a new slideshow. As the present time, it is a pretty large production, mainly due to lots of video files. I am still editing the video and choosing the still images. However, when I have tried to Publish the slideshow as an Exe, I have received the attached error message. This has happened twice now. I have to do the 3-finger salute to dump PTE and start over. Any ideas what this might be???

Thanks... Gary

post-1794-0-97582500-1323898018_thumb.gi

Greetings,

Ok...still no responses to my error message. Maybe this will help to get a response. The problem continues.

Since the last part of the error message says "...line 562", I took a look at the filename.pte file in Excel and looked at line 562. I have attached a screen print of that area of the file.

Does this shed any light on the problem???

Gary

post-1794-0-77257400-1324057804_thumb.gi

Gary,

You've looked at the wrong file. The file you should look at is the one named in the error message (wpTypes.pas). You have the full pathname for it in the error message so you should be able to find it.

I have a feeling the problem could be related to the sheer amount of data you are trying to put into your sequence. Does it play OK in the mini-player area? Does it Preview OK? If not, try taking half the contents out. Is that OK? If so, add back in half of what you took out? Is that OK? Keep on adding back in half of what is still missing until you hit the problem. Then start taking out one slide at a time to find out at what point the problem vanishes and re-appears.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

You've looked at the wrong file. The file you should look at is the one named in the error message (wpTypes.pas). You have the full pathname for it in the error message so you should be able to find it.

I have a feeling the problem could be related to the sheer amount of data you are trying to put into your sequence. Does it play OK in the mini-player area? Does it Preview OK? If not, try taking half the contents out. Is that OK? If so, add back in half of what you took out? Is that OK? Keep on adding back in half of what is still missing until you hit the problem. Then start taking out one slide at a time to find out at what point the problem vanishes and re-appears.

regards,

Peter

==========================

Peter,

I looked for that file but there is no such file or path of this error message. (C:\Worlds\PTE\WnLib\\Win32\wpTypes.pas).

I have Googled to find what these files might mean but no luck. I looked for the file just after the error occurred, thinking it might just be a temporary file and gets deleted when I close out the error message. But it is not there.

I am using ver. 7.0.3. Sometimes it will Publish the exe; other times not. I have not had problems creating an MP4 file (380Mb).

The file is large but I think it is well below the threshold of the max that PTE can take. The .pte file is 90K. The .exe file is 357Mb. There is a good bit of video in it that is creating the large size. It plays just fine in the mini-player and Previews with no problems. It will start the Create process for a couple seconds, but then the error message comes on and the PTE program freezes. I have to dump PTE using the Start Task Manager.

Gary

ADDED LATER: Through stages, I deleted everything and left only one blank slide. It still gives me the error message :(.

ADDED EVEN LATER: I just opened an old PTE show and tried to Publish its exe. Got the same error message. So it is not associated with my current large slideshow. It is happening to old PTE slideshows too. :(:(:(

Gary,

ADDED EVEN LATER: I just opened an old PTE show and tried to Publish its exe. Got the same error message. So it is not associated with my current large slideshow. It is happening to old PTE slideshows too.

Do you still have any older versions of PTE program you can test with to Publish and verify if it too generates the error ?

Firstly, I would reinstall v7.03 program to make sure all is up to par on its end ... then test again Publish. If all PTE program versions generate the same error ... then your issue may be related to your OS

Gary,

Do you have any of the "high order" parts of the path? For example do you have a folder called Worlds on your C: drive? Does that have a folder called PTE? etc.

If not, when was the last time you did a full anti-virus scan and a full anti-malware scan?

regards,

Peter

Gary,

Do you still have any older versions of PTE program you can test with to Publish and verify if it too generates the error ?

Firstly, I would reinstall v7.03 program to make sure all is up to par on its end ... then test again Publish. If all PTE program versions generate the same error ... then your issue may be related to your OS

======================

Nobeefstu,

Yes, I have 6.5 installed, too. I opened a couple of older slideshows with this 6.5 version and was able to Publish their exe's with no problems, no errors. I tried it many times, no errors.

I then tried to open this current slideshow with the videos that I am getting errors with, using ver. 6.5. I got the notice that the Nav.ini would not work. But, I was able to open it. I unchecked the Nav Bar and was able to Publish the exe. None of the videos would play (understandable--the exe was only about 33Mbs because it excluded all the video files--just got black screen where they were supposed to play) but I was able to Publish the exes with no errors. I tried it many times, no errors.

Perhaps it does not like the videos??? All the videos came from my Nikon D7000 (mov's) that were converted first through PTE to AVIs. I did some editing of the converted videos (AVIs) using Freemake and saved as AVIs. Not sure if any of this would have any thing to do with this problem.

Gary

Gary,

Do you have any of the "high order" parts of the path? For example do you have a folder called Worlds on your C: drive? Does that have a folder called PTE? etc.

If not, when was the last time you did a full anti-virus scan and a full anti-malware scan?

regards,

Peter

=============

Peter,

I have searched and I don't have any folder or subfolder called Worlds (I looked for the other parts of the path, too, but, nothing found).

I have also ran full virus scan (Avast) and malware scan (Malwarebytes)--no problems found.

Gary

Greetings,

I think I have discovered some more details about this problem.

If I try to Publish the first exe of this slideshow, I don't get the error.

If I try to Publish it again to overwrite the first exe, I get the error message.

If I check the Properties/Security tab of the exe that was created first, it shows I have Permission as the Administrator.

However, after I try to Publish it again by overwriting the original exe, and I get the error message, the Properties/Security tab of this original file has been changed. If I look at the Current Owner, it says "Unable to display current owner". When I try to change the owner to me, it does not allow me to do it.

Then, when I try to delete this original exe, I don't have permission to delete the file.

It looks like something is messing with my Admistrator settings when I try to overwrite the original exe when I re-Publish it.

I just have not idea how to fix this problem.

These seems to go back to an earlier problem (and still have) that I occasionally would not be able to download a file to the desktop. But saving it to a Download folder on the Desktop seemed to get around this problem.

Any ideas???

Gary

I think Igor must be using Turbo Pascal or Delphi programming language. Unless you have the IDE and associated language libraries installed you will not be able to find this file on your PC.

C:\Worlds\PTE\WnLib\\Win32\wpTypes.pas

http://www.koders.co...840547E052.aspx

http://gr32ex.google.../JwaWPTypes.pas

Just my best guess.

Tom

=====================

Tom, et al,

Sorry, but your reference to programming language is way above my head.

But I think the problem is that my User Profile is corrupted. So, I Googled around to see how to 'fix' it. I followed the steps indicated on a Microsoft site. I created a new Profile and tried to copy all the files from my current Profile to the new Profile. Most of the files were copied. (I used the Windows Enabler program to be sure the Paste is not greyed out). However, many of the folders were not copied over, such as Roaming, for examplel and many more. The Microsoft steps say to copy everything in the User folder's old profile to the new User folder, except for the Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log and Ntuser.ini files. There are a lot of other Ntuser files with longer names...not sure if these should be copied or not. Anyway, no matter what I do, the Desktop, when using the new user Profle, does not appear exactly like my old Desktop (the Fences profile is not replicated nor is the Freebar replicated), and lots of the folders are not copied over.

My first and main concern is that my old Desktop layout is very complicated due to the use of the programs Fences and Freebar. To manually reset both of these setups would be a major undertaking. And why the other folders do not copy over is not clear to me. I would like to make the new Profile 'look' exactly like my old Profile.

Does anyone have any ideas how to 'un-corrupt' a user Profile??? Or what I am doing wrong???

Gary

C:\Worlds\PTE\WnLib\\Win32\wpTypes.pas is a directory path\source code file on the computer that was used to compile PTE, i.e. Igor's machine. .pas files are source code files for a Pascal compiler and will be referenced in the compiled program (PTE) for error reporting purposes.

However, this does not mean that the program is in error. The most likely problem will be in your use of PTE, something like exceeding the 2-gigabyte maximum file size - likely if you have many video sequences and much music, or maybe some other max or min boundary inherent in the program design.

Try reducing your data and see if it will compile an exe then. Or try without your sound files. If it then works, are your sound files mp3? Some other sound formats are known to give PTE trouble - sorry I can't remember specifically which ones.

C:\Worlds\PTE\WnLib\\Win32\wpTypes.pas is a directory path\source code file on the computer that was used to compile PTE, i.e. Igor's machine. .pas files are source code files for a Pascal compiler and will be referenced in the compiled program (PTE) for error reporting purposes.

However, this does not mean that the program is in error. The most likely problem will be in your use of PTE, something like exceeding the 2-gigabyte maximum file size - likely if you have many video sequences and much music, or maybe some other max or min boundary inherent in the program design.

Try reducing your data and see if it will compile an exe then. Or try without your sound files. If it then works, are your sound files mp3? Some other sound formats are known to give PTE trouble - sorry I can't remember specifically which ones.

================================

Greetings,

I have tried a few things to see where the problem might be.

The size of the exe is about 357Mbs.

I removed every image and video file and left only 1 blank slide. The problem persisted when I tried to Publish the exe for the second time (trying to overwrite the first exe).

I then removed only the 2 sound files (MP3s). The problem persisted, again, when I tried to Publish the exe for the second time (trying to overwrite the first exe).

I am sure it has nothing to do with PTE, but this process of trying to overwrite the first PTE exe with a second exe shows up the problem. It looks like my Users profile is corrupted. Something is converting the first exe file from an Administrator-owned-file to a file that Windows7 says is "Unable to display current owner." And it won't let me change the owner back to the Administrator.

I have tried to create a new Users profile, using Microsoft's steps, but it is just not working out.

This is just really strange.

Gary

post-1794-0-04346200-1324169265_thumb.gi

Gary,

You say you are not getting any errors with v6.5 ... and I would assume you are publishing/overwriting using the same Admistrator user account as v7.03 ?

Have you tried to completely uninstall v7.03, shutdown and do a cold boot, login your normal Admistrator user account, and clean install v7.03 again ?

*This may possibly resolve the issue with v7.03 and your Admistrator user account ... but it wll not resolve any other issues/corruption you may have with your with Admistrator user account.

Gary,

You say you are not getting any errors with v6.5 ... and I would assume you are publishing/overwriting using the same Admistrator user account as v7.03 ?

Have you tried to completely uninstall v7.03, shutdown and do a cold boot, login your normal Admistrator user account, and clean install v7.03 again ?

*This may possibly resolve the issue with v7.03 and your Admistrator user account ... but it wll not resolve any other issues/corruption you may have with your with Admistrator user account.

===========================

Nobeefstu,

I have done so many 'tests' that I forgot about the v6.5 results. So, I just went back and re-tested Publishing/overwriting the same slideshow using v6.5. I discovered that v6.5 does produce the same problem, but in a bit different way. When I would Publish/overwrite the slideshow in v7.03 the first time (after a first successful Publish), the error message appears and PTE would lock up.

When I would try the Publish/overwriting of the slideshow in 6.5, the problem would not occur until about the 6 or 7th attempt to Publish/overwrite the exe file. Also, I would not get the error message window. But PTE would lock up and I'd have to go into the Windows Task Manager to dump the PTE program. And when I checked the Security tab in the v6.5 exe file that locked up, I got the same indication that it was "Unable to display current owner:, and it won't let me change the owner to me (Administrator).

So I don't think PTE is causing any problems but it does reveal I have a problem with my Administrative permissions(?).

Just don't know how to fix it....:(

Gary

gary

You say you are overwriting, have you tried changing the file name before creating your second & subsequent exe's. One exe one name.

Yachtsman1 :unsure:

Yachtsman1,

I had not tried that test yet. But when I just tried it, and Published the slideshow each time with a new name, the problem did NOT occur. Interesting. It clearly shows that the 'overwriting' of the file triggers the problem. It looks like the Permissions are getting changed when the overwrite is attempted.

Gary

ADDED LATER:

But what adds to the confusion is that saving and overwriting Excel, Word or Photoshop files do NOT cause the problem. Seems only PTE files are apparently causing the problem. Hmmmm...more testing needed.

Guest Yachtsman1

Yachtsman1,

I had not tried that test yet. But when I just tried it, and Published the slideshow each time with a new name, the problem did NOT occur. Interesting. It clearly shows that the 'overwriting' of the file triggers the problem. It looks like the Permissions are getting changed when the overwrite is attempted.

Gary

ADDED LATER:

But what adds to the confusion is that saving and overwriting Excel, Word or Photoshop files do NOT cause the problem. Seems only PTE files are apparently causing the problem. Hmmmm...more testing needed.

If that solves your PTE problem, it could be your cache memory is holding onto the original file whan you overwrite, which I always thought was normal. Maybe you need to increase its size. Don't ask me how, I'm sure someone will know. I thought the re-naming dodge would work as I never try to overwrite, just add a digit & ensure it's going into the correct folder, sometimes they pick a previously used one. I've mislaid a couple of files by not ensuring where they are being saved to. BTW the size of a word or Exel file would not take as much space as a PTE Exe.

Yachtsman1. :unsure:

If that solves your PTE problem, it could be your cache memory is holding onto the original file whan you overwrite, which I always thought was normal. Maybe you need to increase its size. Don't ask me how, I'm sure someone will know. I thought the re-naming dodge would work as I never try to overwrite, just add a digit & ensure it's going into the correct folder, sometimes they pick a previously used one. I've mislaid a couple of files by not ensuring where they are being saved to. BTW the size of a word or Exel file would not take as much space as a PTE Exe.

Yachtsman1. :unsure:

====================

"...BTW the size of a word or Exel file would not take as much space as a PTE Exe.

Yachtsman1. :unsure:"

Yes, but one of my tests was to eliminate all the images and video files of my slideshow and leave only one blank slide. The Publish/overwrite error occurred even with only one blank slide.

I also, just in case, started fresh and created a slideshow with only one slide. Same thing. The Publish/overwrite error occurred.

Something strange is going on....:(

Gary

Gary,

Please can you upload source files of this project for me? We'll check it up.

I recommend use www.dropbox.com service to upload ZIP file. Mediafire.com have a limitation at 200 MB per file.

=====================================

Igor,

I am trying to use Dropbox but the zipped files (350Mb) of the entire slideshow does not show up in the Dropbox account. Not sure why. But here is the .pte file. I will keep trying to see if I can get the zipped file to be recognized in Dropbox.

http://dl.dropbox.co...hiang%20Mai.pte

Thanks, Gary

Added later:

The file just showed up. Here is that Dropbox link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13694513/ZipLining-Chiang%20Mai_Dec19-2011_9-04-14.zip

Gary,

Uploading to Dropbox is not "instantaneous". The Dropbox icon changes to something that looks like a circular arrow on it to denote that uploading is happening, and then to an icon with a green tick to confirm that the upload has completed.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

Uploading to Dropbox is not "instantaneous". The Dropbox icon changes to something that looks like a circular arrow on it to denote that uploading is happening, and then to an icon with a green tick to confirm that the upload has completed.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Yes, I kinda thought that but I could not see any 'progress' bar. I will look more closely to see if I can see that 'circular arrow'. Thanks.

But what else is a bit confusing is that when I right-click on a file that I have droped in the Dropbox's desktop folder, and click on 'Copy public link', then try to Paste the link, the Paste icon is greyed-out.

The only way to actually get the Dropbox link to a file is to 'Launch Dropbox website' and then right-click on the file, which will then give me the link that will Copy and Paste the link.

Is this normal that you can only get the link to the file by going to the Launch Dropbox website, and not from the Dropbox desktop folder???

With videos making our PTE sideshow so big, this might be the way to go.

Thanks... Gary