WnSoft Forums

Speakers

stonemason

This would allow you to use a stereo 1/4" plug connected to low loss cables I mentioned earlier (a split pair )

terminated with left/right 1/4" plugs for each speaker.

Davy

Thanks once again for your input Davy, I've been searching online for a ready made cable as quoted above but haven't been able to find one suitable. Do you know of any online suppliers who do them?

Many thanks

Geoff

Geoff,

Any music shop that sells guitars etc should have what you need on the drum in 100metre reels.

If you aren't too good with a soldering iron,these guys will make leads up for you.

There are some exotic cables with magic snake oil and rubbed on the skin of oriental maidens,but I don't

believe all the hype. Good cable will make a difference.

You could try Amazon/Ebay, but try your local music emporium first.

Davy

Eric

I always place the base box on the floor beneath the table where I sit, so its conveniently placed between my legs while sitting. From there I have found its easy and convenient to reach the volume. Been ok for literally hundreds of demos and is still going strong. We also use the same speakers every club night to display competition results (via PTE of course) A new system of Ergo speakers have just been purchased by the club, so I don't have to lug mine there anymore.

I chose Ergo when I saw them used by Maureen Albright when I visited Aldbourne to do a demo. Concensus between myself and the wife puts that about 10 years ago. What I liked was that all I needed was in one cardboard box. When you do demos its nice to have the confidence that when you pick up the box everything you need is there. All the speakers and all the supplied wires and even the cardboard box is still in one piece.

Given the original question I just offer my views as someone who has used them in all types of halls and hundreds of time. What I like about them is that they are good for the odd larger hall too, as well as typical CC rooms.

When giving demos or presentations, I found its best to keep things simple, you have enough to worry about so reliable, easy to carry and set up equipment is essential

"I always place the base box on the floor beneath the table where I sit, so its conveniently placed between my legs while sitting"

BB Sounds like a fascinating setup.

So if I’m reading you right.You have things setup so that when you are giving a talk,about 80% of the volume emanates between your legs.The other 20% going over your head.

Avoiding the obvious ‘Bum note’, ’Talking out of your rear’ jokes,I would instead applaud your honesty.

Seriously BB those lifestyle IPod enhancement speakers are intended more for impoverished student bedsits,than PA applications.

The manufacturer/ Retailer wouldn’t even honour their warranty in a PA environment.

The sub woofer can’t actually go ‘Sub’,as it rolls off at 50 hz,the high end can’t go high as the satellites roll off at 16 khz and the mids have a suck out.

Even allowing for the entertainment value of the 'Sub between the legs' thing,your audience and Slideshows deserve better.

Davy.

Final update on the speakers, and cables needed to make everything work.

Speakers 2 Behringer B208D Eurolive Active PA Speaker

Cables and adaptors from laptop to speakers

1 Audio Adaptor 6.35mm (1/4 INCH) Jack Socket to 3.5mm Jack Plug (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Professional-Quality-Plated-Adaptor/dp/B004XU9BHG/ref=acc_glance_ce_ai_ps_t_2)

1 Jack 6.3mm (1/4") Extension Lead (10M)(http://www.audiospares.com/product.php?productid=590&cat=768&page=6)

1 6.35mm Stereo Jack Male To 2 x RCA Phono Female (http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/19516178/Cable-Tex-6-35mm-Stereo-Jack-Male-To-2-x-RCA-Phono-Female/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:19516178%7Cprd:19516178)

1 Phono (Left and Right) Audio Cable (2Mtrs) (http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/products/1744/high_quality_2_x_phono_(left_and_right)_audio_cable/)

2 RCA Phono Socket to Large 6.35mm 6.35 mm 1/4 inch Jack Adapter - Mono (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003OSO222)

The results are everything I wished for superb sound and enough power to fill the biggest hall I'm likely to go to. Once again many thanks for all your help, especially Davy's input it's much appreciated. The last thing to sort is the volume contol, but I will use the one on the UCA 202 for now.

Many thanks

Geoff