WnSoft Forums

Zoom H1

Boogie

I have been using the Zoom H1 recorder for a few months now and found it very suitable for AV work.

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the more expensive Zoom models have, but it is small, very portable and gives a good recording.

I have just seen on the Zoom Website that from 22 Dec 2011, the firmware has a free upgrade to V2.00 (mine was V1.1) which now a USB Audio Interface function

See www.zoom.co.jp for the Download Upgrade and details.

I have now downloaded the Zoom H1 v2.00 upgrade which is a zip file in which is a bin file (H1MAIN.bin) and a pdf file (the pdf descibes the new features with USB audio interface),

Despite reading all the directions in the manual, I had a problem installing the new v2.00. I finally managed it. The solution was to copy just the H1MAIN.bin file to the root of the H1 when in USB mode. I hope this helps if anyone is following my footsteps!!

Boogie

Thanks for this, I missed the update.

I use both the H4N and the H1 and really like the H1 for travel.

The door to access the micro SD card is quite flimsy, mine fell off opening it for the first time.

Kieron

Hi Boogie,

Having read your post, and used the web address to track down updates for my Zoom H4, I'm now trying to update the software in my Zoom H4 and getting nowhere fast! I've followed the instructions on the web page but it isn't doing what they said it would do. At least the device is still working on its old software! I've e-mailed them but don't hold out too much hope. Will report back any progress - positive or negative.

regards,

Peter

Thanks for this, I missed the update.

I use both the H4N and the H1 and really like the H1 for travel.

The door to access the micro SD card is quite flimsy, mine fell off opening it for the first time.

Kieron

I usually use the USB cable with the H1 - it then acts like a card reader, so I don't need to remove the micro SD card.

Boogie

A Zoom H4 is a bigger, older and, regrettably, more expensive version of digital sound-recorder. And, as of this morning, by repeating what I tried yesterday, I managed to get the software upgrade applied. The machine boots up quicker, closes down quicker and connects to the PC massively quicker.

regards,

Peter

post-4886-0-65714500-1328013393_thumb.jp

A Zoom H4 is a bigger, older and, regrettably, more expensive version of digital sound-recorder. And, as of this morning, by repeating what I tried yesterday, I managed to get the software upgrade applied. The machine boots up quicker, closes down quicker and connects to the PC massively quicker.

regards,

Peter

post-4886-0-65714500-1328013393_thumb.jp

Peter

Worth the struggle with the Download then.

The instructions for the H4 download had more details with regard to the *.BIN file than the H1 download.

Hi Boogie,

Having read your post, and used the web address to track down updates for my Zoom H4, I'm now trying to update the software in my Zoom H4 and getting nowhere fast! I've followed the instructions on the web page but it isn't doing what they said it would do. At least the device is still working on its old software! I've e-mailed them but don't hold out too much hope. Will report back any progress - positive or negative.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter - I have followed your suggestion and tried to update my zoom H4 - and it doesn't do what it says!!!!

How on earth did you get yours to do???

I have used a new SD card and installed onto it the Bin file both both directly and via a card reader - and then put on the power supply, switchd on whilst holding the menu key.....and it went to the file saying no data....nothing like they said it should do.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

John

John,

First, are you sure you chose the correct download file - the one thaat matches your current software version? Secondly, I think you should have used the existing card. The install process wants, ultimately, to unload the contents of the SYSTEM.BIN file into the SYSTEM folder. A new SD card will not have that folder. My only mistake was, I think, not switching mains power on at the wall (a senior moment!). Once I did that, the next day, it worked as they described it should. If you haven't got it sorted by Sunday 19th, bring it and its power pack to Bradford and we'll see if two half-brains are better than one!

regards,

Peter

HI Everybody,

Many thanks for all your suggestions which I worked through - but too no avail.

After three very helpful emails from the Zoom Corporation suggesting various remedies in their last email they sent a picture showing a finger holding the toggle joystick in the input/menu position....but pushing it from the other side!!

I tried this....and of course it worked - silly me!!

Hopefully this might be of use to anyone who attempts the same update.

Thanks everybody,

John

post-2196-0-21379700-1328916267_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

I thought I would share this with you, the Zoom H1 with the latest V2 firmware will connect directly to your computer. With the latest version of firmware V2 you can use this recorder as a micraphone to record directly into PTE. This gives you a high quality Micraphone. Also works with Audacity in the same way. All that is requiredis that you connect you Zoom H1 to the USB port (Had it Working with a 15' USB Cable) once connected start PTE hit the project options button, select music, hit the mic button, then select paramiters and select the Zoom H1 in the drop down recording devices. In Audacity use the prefrences option.

Hope this is of interest to someone. Zoom H1 great device been using it for over a year now and its great for getting good quality sound for AV's.

I thought I would share this with you, the Zoom H1 with the latest V2 firmware will connect directly to your computer. With the latest version of firmware V2 you can use this recorder as a micraphone to record directly into PTE. This gives you a high quality Micraphone. Also works with Audacity in the same way. All that is requiredis that you connect you Zoom H1 to the USB port (Had it Working with a 15' USB Cable) once connected start PTE hit the project options button, select music, hit the mic button, then select paramiters and select the Zoom H1 in the drop down recording devices. In Audacity use the prefrences option.

Hope this is of interest to someone. Zoom H1 great device been using it for over a year now and its great for getting good quality sound for AV's.

Excellent way to use the Zoom 1 to record straight into PTE or Audacity. Just have to be careful with the background noise from the computer.

Now I know why you use a 15' cable!!

Hi Judy,

That is sad news. Most modern power supplies use switching technology instead of transformers. The newer switching supplies can usually handle a wide range of AC, from 100V to 240V 50/60Hz. Even if the power supply is toast it should have had a fuse circuit to protect the device. Must have bee a bad design.

Tom

It really helps that someone cares! Thanks.

Strangely, the Power Supply seems to have survived the 240V plug-in. I tested it and it still works. But the little label on the power supply clearly says 110 and not 240. It is the recorder that did not survive. It's little LCD panel flashed a few times, gave random strange messages, all in a few astonishing seconds, and after a few final flashing electronic gasps--gave up the ghost altogether. Fresh batteries don't improve anything either.

Searching on the internet, it does not seem practical to get it repaired through a dealer, although, I think I will try one of those nearby little booths where workers have soldering irons and scopes and other mysterious tools. What have I got to lose?

JK