WnSoft Forums

Widescreen and .jpg size

stonemason

In the attached slideshow, there are 6 identical slides, size 1800x1200 px.

They come from an original jpeg picture at 5616x3744 px. One of these is the original put straight into PTE, without prior downsizing. The 5 other have been reduced in Photoshop at 1800x1200 px with compression ratios ranging from 100/100 to 30/100 (values of "Save for the Web" function).

The resulting image file weights are: 12.8 MB, 1,5 MB, 270 KB, 194 KB, 152 KB and 125 KB.

Of course, the images are not shown in a logical order - it wouldn't be fun ! as the game is to find the 'quality' (or compression ratio) in decreasing order.

Here's the test exe file.

Gérard,

I went thru the 6 images a couple of times and on my 24 inch computer screen I could not see a difference. If I had to pick the one that was not reduced I would say number 3.

Maybe if I saw them on my 42 Inch LCD TV, it would be different. I make my jpeg's for PTE from my Tiff images with "FastStone Photo Resizer" on setting 80.

Bert

Hello Bert,

Apparently, you've been the only one to dare look at this test, although I do think that it's very interesting as it gives concrete answers to many of the questions here!

Anyway, here's the solution:

This is the order of the 6 pictures...

quality (compression ratio in 'Save for the Web' of Photoshop CS5): 50 - 60 - 100 - original - 30 - 40

or as they appear in PTE:

post-704-0-51789600-1330816151_thumb.jpg