WnSoft Forums
tom95521

The New iPad (iPad 3)

Looks great. 1080p video recording, 2048 x 1536 pixel retina display, quad core graphics (not cpu?). Not sure if it has 512 MB or 1024 MB RAM. Definitely a nice upgrade from my iPad 1.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

Sample photos and video.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/gallery/

Tom

Looks nice, but overpriced and still lacking good I.O. If Apple put a regular USB port on it I might be interested, but having to connect it to a computer via wifi to load images seems counterintuitive to me. Maybe you can connect a card reader?? But as I remember not so much....

Doing everything through iTunes also seems to be pretty slow and painful to me...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I will know in about a week if it lives up to my great expectations. :). I like Android but even with Ice Cream Sandwich it's not as polished as iOS. Now with wifi iOS upgrades you rarely have to use itunes. There is a usb/sd card reader that plugs into the ipad connector. Also you can share over dropbox. I have learned to live with Apple's sandbox environment.

Tom

Looks nice, but overpriced and still lacking good I.O. If Apple put a regular USB port on it I might be interested, but having to connect it to a computer via wifi to load images seems counterintuitive to me. Maybe you can connect a card reader?? But as I remember not so much....

Doing everything through iTunes also seems to be pretty slow and painful to me...

overpriced products dont sell so many that it overloads the web store. You dont need to connect it to a computer to copy images, they can load in the background or you can use a card reader or USB. you dont need to use iTunes at all if you dont want to.

That's good to know. Can you connect and download images from a USB card-reader without it being attached to a computer? I think iTunes is being overused presently and the "sync" thing has confused many buyers. Personally, I think iTunes is the wrong name for an application which "may" have nothing to do with music.

As for the price - people have long paid too much for Apple products including the iPad. It hasn't kept Apple from success, but compared to competitive products and including what's coming from Microsoft, the iPad "may" soon have to be heavily discounted to maintain its position as present market leader. I would be much more interested if there were not big black "holes" where Flash is implemented in news and other popular sites.

Best regards,

Lin

That's good to know. Can you connect and download images from a USB card-reader without it being attached to a computer?

sure can, you just need the camera connector. I bought one and never used it. Turns out i use my ipad for other stuff, but I do have photos and PTE movies on it to show people. i want to see that new screen. 3 megapixel! same as my first digital camera.
I think iTunes is being overused presently and the "sync" thing has confused many buyers. Personally, I think iTunes is the wrong name for an application which "may" have nothing to do with music.
yea, iTunes started out as just music and ipods but they keep adding stuff to it. Its a bit late to rename it.
As for the price - people have long paid too much for Apple products including the iPad. It hasn't kept Apple from success, but compared to competitive products and including what's coming from Microsoft, the iPad "may" soon have to be heavily discounted to maintain its position as present market leader. I would be much more interested if there were not big black "holes" where Flash is implemented in news and other popular sites.
other tablets arent much cheaper unless they do a lot less like the Kindle. 10" tablets are all about the same price as the ipad. As for flash, its not a big deal. Most websites work fine and there are apps that work better anyway. Windows tablets wont have flash and the android Chrome browser doesn't have flash.

Hi Lin,

Flash is rapidly being replaced by HTML 5 for animation/video players. If a company that sells 10+ million tablets doesn't support Flash on their tablets then web sites that advertise using flash banners will become extinct fast.

I can't argue with you about the premium price one pays for Apple products. They do have some good technology besides the name brand. I don't know of anyone else doing desktop mirroring using wifi (apple tv airplay) with their tablets or laptops (Mountain Lion this summer). There are rumors that Apple will license this technology to other operating systems. Imagine a professor walks into a classroom pulls out his/her tablet and displays a keynote/powerpoint presentation on the projector/HDTV without connecting any cables or booting up a computer.

And if you need a laptop you can convert your iPad using a ClamCase, although a normal laptop would be cheaper than the iPad.

Tom

That's the problem, I don't want to connect my cameras to an iPad. I have over 40 digital cameras and to find and use the connectors for each would be a nightmare. I just want to connect a universal card reader so that whichever camera I'm using is immaterial.

Yes, it's too bad they didn't plan ahead on that (iTunes) because it confuses people new to Apple and it isn't terribly intuitive.

As for not having Flash, actually for many of us it's a very BIG deal. I think Windows tablets will have Flash. The first Windows tablets may be ARM (WOA) based but don't rule out x86 and AMD because both Intel and AMD are gearing up. HTML5 isn't ready and there is a HUGE base of installed commercial Flash users who are not going to instantly recode everything. Not having Flash has ticked of a lot of iPad users who would dearly love to do things like schedule an airline flight or read the New York Times. Flash isn't going away just because HTML5 offers many advantages. There are plenty of things which Flash can do which HTML5 can't replace - online games, etc. I believe we will see both ARM and x86 sharing the spotlight in tablets and probably AMD as well. Those of us who use Flash applications which depend on Flash are not going to be easily convinced that we can do without it. Major Flash installations such as YouTube and Vimeo are not dropping Flash and right now, there is no way to use these facilities without having it available.

Time will tell.

Lin

sure can, you just need the camera connector. I bought one and never used it. Turns out i use my ipad for other stuff, but I do have photos and PTE movies on it to show people. i want to see that new screen. 3 megapixel! same as my first digital camera.

yea, iTunes started out as just music and ipods but they keep adding stuff to it. Its a bit late to rename it.

other tablets arent much cheaper unless they do a lot less like the Kindle. 10" tablets are all about the same price as the ipad. As for flash, its not a big deal. Most websites work fine and there are apps that work better anyway. Windows tablets wont have flash and the android Chrome browser doesn't have flash.

Hi Tom,

There are numerous other reasons why Flash is so popular - banners are only a small segment of Flash uses and speaking worldwide, 10 million tablet users are a drop in the bucket and right now primarily represent only early adopters.

YouTube, Vimeo, etc., are not planning on dumping Flash according to their management. They may offer HTML5 as an alternative, but there are limitations to what can be achieved with HTML5 and strong advantages of Flash. The installed base of Flash users is absolutely enormous. They will not instantly drop Flash in favor of the new kid on the block. Even Apple provides Flash on their desktops. Unless the overall tablet business wants to completely alienate itself from the majority of the world, they will not fail to provide a means to run Flash applications. I believe this is why Intel with x86 and AMD are gearing up for the tablet business.

Adobe is not abandoning Flash because there are many things which can be done with it which can not now nor probably ever will be doable with HTML5. Virtually all commercial websites have installed Flash applications. The cost to recode and rewrite would be prohibitive until HTML5 is ready for prime time and that could be several years. HTML5 is simply a way to "play" certain types of video on the web. Flash provides not only an interactive way to use animated applications but also a "language" to build them. In addition, the code and compression possible with adequate quality is much less than can be achieved with mp4 h.264, etc., which is why it was adapted by YouTube and Vimeo.

I just can't see a scenario where html5 will "replace" Flash. To replace it would require something more versatile, cheaper, and better all around. HTML5 doesn't satisfy these requirements IMHO.

Here's a quote from a developer who works with both Flash and JS (JavaScript) which would have to be used to build applications with HTML5 - I'm afraid I must agree with him 100%:

When Steve J. made the comments about HTML5 being the future, he didn't bother to explain that this statement really refers to the most widespread use of Flash today, that being Video. Perhaps he didn't explain this purposely, so that many misinformed end users who want to watch Hulu on their iPhones would unleash their rage against Flash. Which is exactly what has been happening..It is annoying and I lost respect for Steve.The HTML5 stack (html, css and JS) will NOT be a direct replacement for Flash. I have been developing Flash content for over 10 years, I am also very competent in JS. I cringe thinking about using JS for tasks where ActionScript can accomplish the same thing in 50% less code. There are tasks that will be very difficult if not impossible to achieve with JS and CSS. For rudimentary animations and JQuery-like functionality, sure, HTML5 can be a viable option instead of Flash. But for complex games and RIAs, I just don't see it. Actionscript has evolved into a robust, full featured language.

The other important thing is that the Flash player is updated by Adobe periodically to address any issues that may arise. How will they update/improve HTML5 spec if it becomes the norm and Flash went bye-bye?? They won't. You have to wait for HTML6 and all the browsers to support it. Which means you end up waiting 5-10 years. Great way to bring us back to 1998. No thanks, I'll stick with Flash for now.

As much as open standards are a worthy goal, I don't see this panning out the way they are saying...

My two cents.

Best regards,

Lin

That's the problem, I don't want to connect my cameras to an iPad. I have over 40 digital cameras and to find and use the connectors for each would be a nightmare. I just want to connect a universal card reader so that whichever camera I'm using is immaterial.

Apple's camera connector has USB and SD and there are CF connectors from other than apple. Plug in a card reader or a camera or just stick the card in directly.

Yes, it's too bad they didn't plan ahead on that (iTunes) because it confuses people new to Apple and it isn't terribly intuitive.

As for not having Flash, actually for many of us it's a very BIG deal. I think Windows tablets will have Flash. The first Windows tablets may be ARM (WOA) based but don't rule out x86 and AMD because both Intel and AMD are gearing up. HTML5 isn't ready and there is a HUGE base of installed commercial Flash users who are not going to instantly recode everything.

Windows tablets wont have Flash according to Microsoft and its eventually going away on Android too, so theyll recode sooner or later.

Not having Flash has ticked of a lot of iPad users who would dearly love to do things like schedule an airline flight or read the New York Times.

HUH?!?!? Where did you get that crazy idea??? ipad users can easily do both. New York Times website works and theres an even better NYTimes app. Airline websites also work and they have apps too.

Flash isn't going away just because HTML5 offers many advantages. There are plenty of things which Flash can do which HTML5 can't replace - online games, etc. I believe we will see both ARM and x86 sharing the spotlight in tablets and probably AMD as well. Those of us who use Flash applications which depend on Flash are not going to be easily convinced that we can do without it. Major Flash installations such as YouTube and Vimeo are not dropping Flash and right now, there is no way to use these facilities without having it available.

Again HUH?? YouTube and Vimeo have always worked on ipads.

Time will tell.

always does.

Adobe is not abandoning Flash because there are many things which can be done with it which can not now nor probably ever will be doable with HTML5.

Yea they are. zdnet article: Exclusive: Adobe ceases development on mobile browser Flash, refocuses efforts on HTML5

Virtually all commercial websites have installed Flash applications.

Huh? Most dont and the ones that do usually have a nonflash version. Most websites work on ipads. Every once in a while something doesnt, but its rare and happens less and less as time goes by.

Hi Lin,

I did a little more research and Apple has sold 55 million ipads (version 1 & 2).

Apple is saying we are now living in a post-PC era. I don't agree completely with that philosophy. I still use Linux/Windows desktop computers and servers daily.

My iPad youtube player can not play all youtube videos. I think some older videos were encoded as flv and never updated as mp4.

There is no way a smartphone or tablet will have the optics and sensor quality of a real camera but they have improved in the last 2 years.

Tom

My iPad youtube player can not play all youtube videos. I think some older videos were encoded as flv and never updated as mp4.

which ones? I havent had any problems with Youtube other than one video which gave an error that said the creator restricted it to not play on mobile devices so I set the the browser to say it was Windows Firefox and it played.

I don't remember a video that was blocked, but it was directly from the ipad youtube application, not a browser. If I use m.youtube.com the ones I have tested seem to work fine. I do have http://www.youtube.com/html5 enabled if that makes a difference.

Tom

Apple's camera connector has USB and SD and there are CF connectors from other than apple. Plug in a card reader or a camera or just stick the card in directly.

Good.....

Windows tablets wont have Flash according to Microsoft and its eventually going away on Android too, so theyll recode sooner or later.

Maybe, maybe not - we won't know until they are launched. Microsoft has had no official announcement about Flash and tablets that I have seen. If you know of one and have a link I would be glad to read it....

HUH?!?!? Where did you get that crazy idea??? ipad users can easily do both. New York Times website works and theres an even better NYTimes app. Airline websites also work and they have apps too.

It's not a crazy idea at all. When I used the original iPad, there were nothing but black "holes" in both the NYT and a number of news sites which make extensive use of Flash videos. None of the Flash implementations on NYT worked , nor did many airline reservation sites. If the NYT has implemented HTML5 for all present animations I'm not aware of it.

Again HUH?? YouTube and Vimeo have always worked on ipads.

You are absolutely wrong. YouTube and Vimeo have "not" always worked on iPads.

always does.

Yea they are. zdnet article: Exclusive: Adobe ceases development on mobile browser Flash, refocuses efforts on HTML5

Uhhh, no, they are not. Flash is a very big part of Adobe's business and as I said, they are "NOT abandoning Flash" You're wearing Apple blinders.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/op-ed-flash-is-still-relevant-perhaps-more-so-than-ever/17051?tag=content;siu-container

Suggest you read above....

Huh? Most dont and the ones that do usually have a nonflash version. Most websites work on ipads. Every once in a while something doesnt, but its rare and happens less and less as time goes by.

I have no idea where you get the notion that "most websites work on iPads" It's not rare at all to find websites which are heavily laden with Flash implementation and have no HTML5 - there are literally "millions" of them. As I said, you're wearing Apple blinders....

Hi Lin,

Apple is not perfect and I was not impressed by their demo of the new iPad (resolutionary??). Steve Jobs was very good at demos. I think Windows 8 will give Apple some serious competition later this year. Google Android is fragmented with so many versions. They are already developing version 5 (Jelly Bean) when most devices are still running Honeycomb. ARM will have some serious competition from Intel Ivy Bridge this year. PTE will play slideshows silky smooth on these new devices.

Tom

Hi Tom,

It's all good because the competition will only increase the performance and feature set of each platform. The web industry though, may be in for some rocky sledding if too many hardware manufacturers accept the questionable practice of abandoning Flash in favor of HTML5. Though HTML5 obviously offers advantages in terms of video play, there are serious downsides concerning ways of upgrading for performance when the entire platform depends on browser and developer cooperation. People are not going to give up web interactivity which Flash offers and developers will not relish the rather primitive combination of HTML5, CSS and JS compared to the much more solid and way better developed Flash tools for RIA's, etc.

But It's all good for PTE as you say. Steve was very good at demos and had the ability with his charisma to skirt troublesome issues and still keep his audience entertained. In some ways he reminded me of one "very" high ranking politician in the U.S. government. Eventually, it will all sort itself out and the tablet market will probably see some current major players drop out and other directions be taken as hardware advances are made.

Apple has been very stubborn. Way back in the stone age when the Lisa was first introduced and Mac was still on the drawing board, I was an Apple rep. I tried very, very hard to convince Apple management that they absolutely had to run dual processors (8800 and Motorola 68000), make the Mac IBM PC compatible and open the architecture. They had the opportunity then to own the PC world, but they were extremely self-centric and hard headed. It cost them years of three percent market share when they could have easily had at lest half the market in two years. It took them decades to go Intel and see the handwriting on the wall. There is still a reluctance and internal bent on keeping absolute control and I think that, more than any technical reason is why Steve was anti Flash. Of course his personal issues with Adobe were probably a factor, but since Adobe essentially bought Flash from MacroMedia I think the decision was more about controlling the software end. In any case, I believe it was a huge mistake to not make the iPad Flash compatible and I think that decision will come back to bite the industry in the future, especially if the tablet manufacturers all lean in the same direction. There will eventually be a backlash from people who want to use their tablets for interactive games, not just "play" videos, but capture and manipulate (edit) so that more intelligent CPU's in the tablet will be necessary and, of course this will increase the power requirements and all that entails.

It will eventually be "back to the future" in my opinion.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Apple is not perfect and I was not impressed by their demo of the new iPad (resolutionary??). Steve Jobs was very good at demos. I think Windows 8 will give Apple some serious competition later this year. Google Android is fragmented with so many versions. They are already developing version 5 (Jelly Bean) when most devices are still running Honeycomb. ARM will have some serious competition from Intel Ivy Bridge this year. PTE will play slideshows silky smooth on these new devices.

Tom

Lin,

I have an ipad and i know what works. Most websites that have flash also has html5 so its not an issue and apps work even better. The NYtimes, Youtube, vimeo and airlines all have apps and their websites work too. Youtube and Vimeo converted to html5 before the ipad came out, so they've always worked. The ipad comes with the Youtube app and the rest can be downloaded. Youre completely wrong about it not working.

Ever try flash on an android phone? I have and its awful. Videos stutter and look like slide shows and a lot of flash apps use the keyboard which doesnt work too well when there isnt a keyboard. Adobe couldnt resolve these problems so they canceled mobile flash. They are keeping desktop flash.

You wanted a link for Win8 tablets, here you go: Flash’s Future Fades as Windows Close on Adobe

Microsoft’s brand new Windows 8 Metro user interface will not support Adobe Flash or other plug-ins, instead embracing the HTML5 set of web standards, according to Microsoft’s Internet Explorer team leader Dean Hachamovitch.

Lin,

I have an ipad and i know what works. Most websites that have flash also has html5 so its not an issue and apps work even better. The NYtimes, Youtube, vimeo and airlines all have apps and their websites work too. Youtube and Vimeo converted to html5 before the ipad came out, so they've always worked. The ipad comes with the Youtube app and the rest can be downloaded. Youre completely wrong about it not working.

I have no idea where you get the idea that "most websites that have flash also have html5" - that's simply incorrect."Most websites which have Flash "don't" have html5. "Some" do. There are "millions" which don't.

I have no idea where you are getting your information but Vimeo was running a "beta test" of html5 at the end of January, 2010 - here's a quote directly from Vimeo in the article:

The simple fact is right now h264 allows us the most flexibility to display on many devices and many players with the same file. When that changes, so will we. That's all there is to it, thanks for your understanding!

The first iPad was released in April 2010 and Vimeo was not "converted" to html5.

Youtube was running an experimental and limited html5 on January 20, 2010 - here's a quote directly from YouTube:

Our support for HTML5 is an early experiment, and there are some limitations. HTML5 on YouTube doesn't support videos with ads, captions, or annotations and it requires a browser that supports both the video tag and h.264 encoded video (currently that means Chrome, Safari, and ChromeFrame on Internet Explorer). We will be expanding the capabilities of the player in the future, so get ready for new and improved versions in the months to come.

Youtube was not "converted" to html5 when the iPad was released in April 2010. Read the YouTube help - LOL. Here's one from "March 2011" a year later....

A lot of videos are being converted from flash to HTML5 right on youtube. You can go to youtube's test tube page and enable HTML5 playback on all the videos that have been converted. So some videos will work and others wont. And to answer your question the iPad does support HTML5, thats what the youtube app on the iPad is made for. It only displays videos that have been converted to HTML5. It would be really cool if there was an app on the iPad that could convert the flash file to a HTML5 file, and then watch it right in the app. That would essentaily give you access to all the videos you want. But i do not know how to code programs, or apps. So i cant help you there.

So much for Youtube and Vimeo "converted to html5 before the iPad came out...." That's just not so.

Ever try flash on an android phone? I have and its awful. Videos stutter and look like slide shows and a lot of flash apps use the keyboard which doesnt work too well when there isnt a keyboard. Adobe couldnt resolve these problems so they canceled mobile flash. They are keeping desktop flash.

Adobe's job was not to "resolve" problems with Android hardware - why should they? I know very well what the situation is with Flash and html5 which is precisely why I said that Adobe isn't "abandoning" Flash - that's silly.

You wanted a link for Win8 tablets, here you go: Flash's Future Fades as Windows Close on Adobe

Microsoft's brand new Windows 8 Metro user interface will not support Adobe Flash or other plug-ins, instead embracing the HTML5 set of web standards, according to Microsoft's Internet Explorer team leader Dean Hachamovitch.

That's certainly not a Microsoft quote, it's an Apple biased opinion statement from Christina Bonnington, a writer for Wired Magazine and it's not even a quote from Dean Hachamovich. As I said, I have seen no "quotes" from Microsoft about this. Maybe they will and maybe they won't be Flash compatible. Maybe some models will and some won't - we will know when they are released.

Best regards,

Lin

Good article about HTML 5 video support in browsers and portable devices.

http://uxmag.com/articles/the-state-of-html5-video

The article also includes a link to top 5 browser activity. I use Chrome because of the auto updates and built in PDF and Flash support.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-200811-201202

Tom

Thanks for the youtube and vimeo quotes. Both predate the ipad's release which proves it always worked on an ipad. Youtube worked on the first iphone 5 years ago. Every iphone and ipad includes a youtube app and the vimeo app is a free download. This is not a problem. I have an ipad and i know what works. You dont. Youre just quoting web pages trying to prove something doesnt work, when it works just fine and has all along.

That's certainly not a Microsoft quote, it's an Apple biased opinion statement from Christina Bonnington, a writer for Wired Magazine and it's not even a quote from Dean Hachamovich. As I said, I have seen no "quotes" from Microsoft about this. Maybe they will and maybe they won't be Flash compatible. Maybe some models will and some won't - we will know when they are released.

Take off your blinders. The article barely even mentions Apple and it links to Dean's official microsoft quote. Win8 metro will not run plugins and that includes Flash.

Here's the link:

For the web to move forward and for consumers to get the most out of touch-first browsing, the Metro style browser in Windows 8 is as HTML5-only as possible, and plug-in free. The experience that plug-ins provide today is not a good match with Metro style browsing and the modern HTML5 web.

Running Metro style IE plug-in free improves battery life as well as security, reliability, and privacy for consumers. Plug-ins were important early on in the web’s history. But the web has come a long way since then with HTML5. Providing compatibility with legacy plug-in technologies would detract from, rather than improve, the consumer experience of browsing in the Metro style UI.

Excuse me, you need to get down off that high horse and listen to what Vimeo and YouTube themselves were telling you as well as iPad users in 2011.

I "had" the first iPad available in Colorado, and we are talking about iPad, not iPhone so why are you changing the subject? I sold the iPad because it "didn't" work sufficiently with either Vimeo or YouTube. Both were "testing" beta HTML5 and absolutely did not have anywhere near 100% of their video's converted to HTML5 protocol when the iPad was released. A year after the iPad was launched and after the iPad II was launched some YouTube videos still didn't work.

I haven't bought another iPad and don't intend to. Please don't play "Apple expert" games with me. I was an Apple rep before there was a MacIntosh and I'm "very" familiar with Apple products. The "last call" for the HTML5 working draft was in 2009 (that's three years ago by my count) so I have no idea what you are harping about five years ago or what your iPhone was using to work with YouTube videos, but it absolutely was not HTML5 and that's what we are discussing.

I've given you quotes from 2011 from the YouTube help forum where people were "still having issues" with getting some YouTube videos to work with their iPads. So why don't you go to the YouTube forum and tell the folks that everything works perfectly - please! They would certainly love to have the help from someone like you who has all the answers.

As I said, I went to your link and nowhere did it say that the Windows tablet would not be available in x86 or in AMD configuration. "You" don't know and neither do "I" whether the initial launch will have only the plug-in free IE 10 browser or whether it will be available with both as will the desktop IE 10. Silverlight will not work without plug-in's and it would be rather foolish of Microsoft to split the difference and allow plug-in's on desktop versions of IE10 and not make it an option for their tablets. Of course it wouldn't be the first time Microsoft has been foolish nor probably the last. The same goes for Apple.

Lin

Thanks for the youtube and vimeo quotes. Both predate the ipad's release which proves it always worked on an ipad. Youtube worked on the first iphone 5 years ago. Every iphone and ipad includes a youtube app and the vimeo app is a free download. This is not a problem. I have an ipad and i know what works. You dont. Youre just quoting web pages trying to prove something doesnt work, when it works just fine and has all along.

Take off your blinders. The article barely even mentions Apple and it links to Dean's official microsoft quote. Win8 metro will not run plugins and that includes Flash.

Here's the link:

For the web to move forward and for consumers to get the most out of touch-first browsing, the Metro style browser in Windows 8 is as HTML5-only as possible, and plug-in free. The experience that plug-ins provide today is not a good match with Metro style browsing and the modern HTML5 web.

Running Metro style IE plug-in free improves battery life as well as security, reliability, and privacy for consumers. Plug-ins were important early on in the web's history. But the web has come a long way since then with HTML5. Providing compatibility with legacy plug-in technologies would detract from, rather than improve, the consumer experience of browsing in the Metro style UI.

Excuse me, you need to get down off that high horse and listen to what Vimeo and YouTube themselves are telling you as well as iPad users in 2011.

high horse? i'll say it again. i have an ipad and have never had any of these problems you keep trying to tell me i'm supposed to have, nor does anyone else i know who has an ipad.

I "had" the first iPad available in Colorado,

LOL! You have no way to know it was the first and what difference does it make anyway? And you say I'm on a high horse??

and we are talking about iPad, not iPhone so why are you changing the subject?

no change of subject. an ipad is mostly a big iphone that runs the same os and can run all iphone apps. If an iphone could play youtube videos 5 years ago, then an ipad certainly could 2 years ago.

I sold the iPad because it "didn't" work sufficiently with either Vimeo or YouTube. Both were "testing" beta HTML5 and absolutely did not have anywhere near 100% of their video's converted to HTML5 protocol when the iPad was released. A year after the iPad was launched and after the iPad II was launched some YouTube videos still didn't work.

100% of videos won't play on Windows either. better sell your windows computer too! LOL. Ever have Firefox or IE crash? we all have. Its not just videos that are a problem.

I haven't bought another iPad and don't intend to. Please don't play "Apple expert" games with me. I was an Apple rep before there was a MacIntosh and I'm "very" familiar with Apple products.

Not too familiar, since you had no clue about the ipad camera connector.

The "last call" for the HTML5 working draft was in 2009 (that's three years ago by my count) so I have no idea what you are harping about five years ago or what your iPhone was using to work with YouTube videos, but it absolutely was not HTML5 and that's what we are discussing.

html5 continues to evolve but that doesnt mean it cant be used now. many sites do. what we are discussing was youtube and vimeo working on ipads, which they do and I dont have an iphone, i have an android phone which runs flash. like i said, flash on android doesnt work very well.

I've given you quotes from 2011 from the YouTube help forum where people were "still having issues" with getting some YouTube videos to work with their iPads. So why don't you go to the YouTube forum and tell the folks that everything works perfectly - please! They would certainly love to have the help from someone like you who has all the answers.

There are more than double the posts for people having windows youtube problems than ipad youtube problems. Maybe you can help them out, since you can get 100% of videos to play on windows. I cant even get 100% of videos to play on windows.

As I said, I went to your link and nowhere did it say that the Windows tablet would not be available in x86 or in AMD configuration. "You" don't know and neither do "I" whether the initial launch will have only the plug-in free IE 10 browser or whether it will be available with both as will the desktop IE 10. Silverlight will not work without plug-in's and it would be rather foolish of Microsoft to split the difference and allow plug-in's on desktop versions of IE10 and not make it an option for their tablets.

It didnt say anything about x86 or AMD tablets because that wasn't the issue. Metro wont have plugins including flash or silverlight. You have to switch to regular windows and have a mouse and keyboard plugged in if you want plugins, which makes it a laptop not a tablet. That only works on x86 but nobody is going to switch back and forth just for flash games, theyre going to get metro apps instead which will be much better anyway.

Of course it wouldn't be the first time Microsoft has been foolish nor probably the last. The same goes for Apple.

you may think its foolish but its worked out very well for apple and Win8 tablets sound interesting too, more than android tablets anyway. Having one device can be both a tablet and a laptop sounds great. I'll probably get one.

Hi Judy,

I have the new iPad (64 GB/wifi only). The display is fantastic (2048x1536). I have been trying to publish a 2048x1536 video slideshow from videobuilder with no luck so far. Igor could probably create a new preset in the videobuilder mp4presets.dat. I tried to do this but videobuilder lowered it to 1900x1200 for some reason. The 1024x768 videos look amazing. Tomorrow I'm going to test a PTE video slideshow using airplay from the ipad to my 720p Apple TV. I would say the camera and video capture are nice but a little hard to hold compared to my iphone 4. I will try to create a slideshow using ipad camera tomorrow (weather permitting).

So overall fantastic quality screen with very smooth video playback but the camera will never replace a medium to hiqh quality digital camera.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Do me a favor and give me some answers about camera connections on the new iPad. Unless they have changed it completely since I had mine, it's a proprietary 30 pin Apple connector and it's not possible to insert standard IO USB devices and have them work. "Crossfade" has a case of blinders on and can't see past his bias. I'm not getting any straight answers from him, just Apple hype.

On my iPad you could not use USB thumb drives, external USB hard drives or even card readers. The only way to transfer images from your camera was to have the camera act as the "controller" via the cable. Has Apple put any "smart" connector and power to the port so it can power drives and USB memory sticks or does one have to try to find some externally powered USB card reader to get it to transfer images without a computer attached?

Thanks,

Lin