WnSoft Forums
tom95521

The New iPad (iPad 3)

Look, I'm through discussing this with you because you are acting very much like a 12 year old. You make silly statements which make zero sense then show that you have very limited understanding of the way things work in the world by ignoring what numerous others have experienced.

A typical example is your statement below:

There are more than double the posts for people having windows youtube problems than ipad youtube problems. Maybe you can help them out, since you can get 100% of videos to play on windows. I cant even get 100% of videos to play on windows.

How many hundreds of million times as many Windows installations than iPads do you think exist? Do you even have a clue? I think not or you wouldn't make silly statements like this.

I think we're finished here...

Lin

Hi Lin,

First on the subject of video resolutions. I was hoping I could utilize the native screen resolution but apparently it is not a supported video format.

From

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Yes, the 30 pin connector is still the only digital input/output connector. As far as USB support you have to buy set of adapters for $29. From what I understand they are powered by the ipad itself and require not external cables. Another option is to allow Windows to detect the ipad as a plug and play a device and then the photo folder shows up as a device under My Computer. There might be some method to transfer using wifi with itunes but have not figured out how to do that.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

I own a lot of Apple products but presently typing on a Windows 8 Dell PC and run Linux at work almost exclusively. It's not the brand of product it's the technology that matters.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Too bad about the video resolution maxed out, but it's likely a hardware limitation. It's amazing how much more processing power is needed when the video size increases only a small amount. In past years YouTube would play a 720p fairly smoothly, but try a 1600x1200 (about the same requirement as 1080p) and the playback quality would suffer greatly. Probably a combination of bandwidth and hardware. When I was using 9.2 megapixel monitors, we couldn't have any animation at all in shows - there just wasn't sufficient video card power even with two top of line Matrox cards driving it.

That's good news if the optional external adapters can allow the iPad to use external USB devices such as hard disks. Assuming it's possible to transfer data back and forth it would make it useful as a camera device. I know there is an adapter to allow the iPad to "trigger" the shutter release, so it can be used as a remote triggering device, but the camera must be connected to a computer as I understand it, to make it work. The question then becomes how much "smarts" are built into the OS on the iPad to allow it to communicate via its port with "dumb" devices like hard drives and thumb drives.

I saw a video demonstration between the new iPad and the iPad II earlier today and the iPad II was actually "faster." The assumption was that the additional processing power available in the new iPad's chip was required to handlw the increased resolution, etc.

About technology - so true....

I've been reading from your link about the port "adapter." Not great reviews for the following reasons. It's a one way path from the card to the camera, you can't transfer files the other way via the port and this device.

That means external drives won't work with it either. Here's a quote from a user:

You cannot us a USB jump drive with the USB connector.This would make it alot easier to transfer pictures back and forth. Instead youhave to hook up your camera. This is a way for Apple to control you once again,by not allowing a true USB port.

and another:

1) Cannot move photos FROM the ipad TO the camera/sd card 2) Imported photos show up allover the place, no possibility to organise them, and cannot be deleted from a single location. Mercy!

3) Photos dropped into the sd card cannot be read on the ipad 2. ONly photos recorded by a camera.

4) USB sticks won't work, as the power supply is very very limited

Apple, give us all a break and make the ipad more useful to us photographers by correcting all of the above. Then, I might consider rating higher than one star.

Too bad, I was hoping for a different outcome but....

Best regards,

Lin

Do me a favor and give me some answers about camera connections on the new iPad. Unless they have changed it completely since I had mine, it's a proprietary 30 pin Apple connector and it's not possible to insert standard IO USB devices and have them work. "Crossfade" has a case of blinders on and can't see past his bias. I'm not getting any straight answers from him, just Apple hype.

what answers did you not understand? Im not hyping anything. I told you about the camera connector. Youre telling me the ipad cant do things that I have done with my ipad. Thats reality, not blinders or bias.

Look, I'm through discussing this with you because you are acting very much like a 12 year old. You make silly statements which make zero sense then show that you have very limited understanding of the way things work in the world by ignoring what numerous others have experienced.

LOL! You are ignoring what i and other ipad users have experienced. You insist things can't be done that can easily be done. You dont even believe Adobe and Microsoft statements on what theyre going to do. Why is that?

That means external drives won't work with it either. Here's a quote from a user:

some do but that just shows you dont understand how an ipad is used. where is the hard drive going to be when you hold the ipad? Its a lightweight tablet you hold in your hand, not a laptop with ports that is used on a table.

and another:

1) Cannot move photos FROM the ipad TO the camera/sd card

2) Imported photos show up allover the place, no possibility to organise them, and cannot be deleted from a single location. Mercy!

3) Photos dropped into the sd card cannot be read on the ipad 2. ONly photos recorded by a camera.

4) USB sticks won't work, as the power supply is very very limited

Apple, give us all a break and make the ipad more useful to us photographers by correcting all of the above. Then, I might consider rating higher than one star.

1 Why would you want to move them back to the camera? Review them on the ipad, edit them, push them to the cloud or wait until you get home and copy them to the computer and do some real editing.

2 Not true. Imported photos are added to the camera roll and you can organize them, edit, delete, etc.

3 That is definitely not true.

4 Power is limited but some sticks will work. what that person should have said is "my stick didnt work but i didnt test every stick out there."

Too bad, I was hoping for a different outcome but....

No you weren't. you already said you have no intention of buying an ipad.

I Think I might be interested in an iPad as I can see some uses for it, but I want to be able to plug in a USB and download images to the pad or from the pad back to my PC. Same with video.

As I understand it, I can't do that with iPad 3 is that correct ? Yes or No answers would be appreciated please, too much techno babble just makes my eyes glaze over :rolleyes:

I would also like to be able to create a book for use on the iPad, but can I do that using a PC and then get the completed files onto an iPad?

Looks like the dreaded GRUMPY virus is back??? :ph34r:

Yachtsman1.

I think you're right but it is quite entertaining.

In the spirit of genuine enquiry, my understanding is that, as an Apple product, the iPad will not play .exe files which is the format most people make their PTE productions in?

I am aware an iPad will not play an exe file, but they play Mp4 videos don't they?

Presumably you could not use one to store Raw files on the move either, that would be useful.

Eric

No thanks, I just want someone who does similar things to me and who has the knowledge to share it. I can't be bothered to read heaps on the subject and in any case to much bias.

Look how defensive you lot get, if anyone dares say anything about PTE that has even a hint of cirticism :rolleyes: Apple disciples are even worse :D

OK, OK, enough is enough! Tom likes the iPad but Lin isn't sure. We got the message so now take this subject across to the iPad forums please.

By the way, who is this newcomer called BEB? I suspect it is somebody who is hiding under a cloak of secrecy!

Ronnie West

Ronnie, you should pay more attention, it has already been revealed who it is. Why he tries to stir things up on here can only be speculated on, probably because his own forum is in decline. :ph34r:

Yachtsman1.

Do you/others find MP4 image quality as good as .exe? - on any device, not just iPad. I think it's unlikely but I haven't done the experiment. Hopefully someone else here has.

Interesting query about RAW. Again, perhaps someone from this forum will know.

Playing PTE productions on iPad is highly relevant to PTE's future. Genuine questions should be answered here if people know the answers. There should be no need to refer people to an external forum.

:rolleyes:

Hi Barry,

Unfortunately, the answers are not all that simple because whenever someone says something can or can't be done with the iPad, there will be a fanboy to lead one astray. A perfect example is when I posted quotes from users saying that the iPad isn't compatible with external USB hard drives. Then our resident fanboy says "some" are, and posts a link. But when you go to the link he points to, you find that it isn't a hard disk at all, it's a very expensive "case" which you must buy a hard disk to put into. And even then it's not clear just "what" the device will do other than apparently act as a "mini-computer" to allow what you can already do by plugging the iPad into a computer. But then if you have to have a computer (laptop, specialized intelligent case with a hard drive installed, etc.) why do you need the iPad? It then, for the relevant purpose of the photographer, becomes a very expensive and light portable "display."

I'm finding a lot of "circular reasoning" from fanboy types to justify their purchase or affection for the iPad. It's a great device when used as intended, but it's simply not a "computer" and not a very compact replacement with a great display for a laptop.

Obviously, you can connect it to your computer and exchange images but don't expect to just plug in a USB thumb drive and swap images back and forth. I'm going to post a link to a device at the Apple Store which Tom gave me when I asked about using a card reader. It provides a great source of user input both pro and con. Read the reviews and you begin to get a feel for both success and disappointment users are having with input and output.....

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE

Best regards,

Lin

I Think I might be interested in an iPad as I can see some uses for it, but I want to be able to plug in a USB and download images to the pad or from the pad back to my PC. Same with video.

As I understand it, I can't do that with iPad 3 is that correct ? Yes or No answers would be appreciated please, too much techno babble just makes my eyes glaze over :rolleyes:

I would also like to be able to create a book for use on the iPad, but can I do that using a PC and then get the completed files onto an iPad?

Hi Robert,

I don't think there is a great deal of difference in pure "image quality" between one of the higher resolution mp4 shows and an EXE show, but in terms of "animation" smoothness, in my experience the exe is superior. On my 40" Samsung 1080p television, I can't see any relevant image quality differences for MP4 videos of "still images" and displayed low compression jpg's. I do see a difference in smoothness of play between animations when played in MP4 versus executable. I believe there are at least two factors involved. First, the executable can avail itself of great frame rates providing a modern and powerful video card is being used. The other issue is that currently the limits in resolution for MP4 video are in the neighborhood of two megapixels while executable files can be played at the full resolution of the display device. In the case of some present LCD/LED displays, that is four megapixels. So even though you can "play" the MP4 on a four megapixel display, the actual uninterpolated resolution of the video itself is two megapixels.

On the RAW issue, to my knowledge pads such as the iPad will display some RAW files, but in fact they are reading and displaying the embedded jpg files rather than decoding the RAW file itself. A similar thing is done by our digital cameras for the LCD displays after we shoot a RAW image and wish to review it on the back of the camera. There has been lots of confusion about that when people use products such as Fastone or IrfanView and "discover" that these products apparently display RAW files. In point of fact, they don't. What they do is display the embedded jpg which is available in the RAW file.

Best regards,

Lin

Do you/others find MP4 image quality as good as .exe? - on any device, not just iPad. I think it's unlikely but I haven't done the experiment. Hopefully someone else here has.

Playing PTE productions on iPad is highly relevant to PTE's future. Genuine questions should be answered here if people know the answers. There should be no need to refer people to an external forum.

Hi Barry,

Assuming you want to stay on Windows platform...

The iBooks application can read PDF files so you could use Adobe Acrobat Pro or print to PDF but if you want to create epub format books (photos and text) for the iPad I would recommend the Atlantis Word Processor. There should be a trial version you can download. Registration is only $35 (much cheaper than Microsoft Word).

Atlantis Ebooks

Tom

The 1080p slideshows @ 4 Mbps look great on the new iPad but they are much larger than .exe format.

If Igor can port his PTViewer app to run on the iOS devices THEN I could watch my slideshow at the screen resolution (not video). It should not be too difficult to port because it is working on the Mac already. I don't know what format the slideshow would require, maybe some type of byte code intermediate format like java.

Thanks,

Tom

As I understand it, I can't do that with iPad 3 is that correct ? Yes or No answers would be appreciated please, too much techno babble just makes my eyes glaze over

You can easily do that on any ipad. You just need the camera connector.

Yes you can. Books are standard PDF or epub files, which can be created on any system.

I am aware an iPad will not play an exe file, but they play Mp4 videos don't they?

They will play mp4 files. Thats what I do for PTE shows. You can also connect the ipad to a TV and watch them there.

Presumably you could not use one to store Raw files on the move either, that would be useful.

You can do that too. RAW files are imported along with jpegs. The Photos app displays the embedded jpeg so you can review the photos, but there are apps you can download that process the raw.

If Igor can port his PTViewer app to run on the iOS devices THEN I could watch my slideshow at the screen resolution (not video).

That would be so cool! Are you listening, Igor?

Thanks Lin and Tom.

I appreciate that Mp4 shows are much larger than .exe to cover the same narrative. There seems to be unanimity (including Crossfade)that this is the route to go on iPad.

RAW: Like a lot of Mac material, it appears you must download an app to make things work, as Crossfade says is the case for RAW. But that's OK too.

I'm not sure I understand the 2 megapixel and 4 megapixel comments. :huh: Each image in my PTE shows is nowdays about 2 to 3 MB.

I don't have a problem about large .exe files - but then my use is mostly for cinema style projection and desktop work to produce the show rather than sending it round the world on the internet. Download speed is a problem where I live in the country. Huge Mp4 files are a challenge even for my use but PTE does a great job provided I use the right software to edit and export the movie in the first place.

Hi Robert,

The essence of the two megapixel versus four megapixel situation is that today, large displays for computers are becoming more common and in resolutions of four megapixels versus the 1080 x 1920 displays which are essentially two megapixel resolution. So executable shows made using higher resolution photos will be displayed at twice the pixel count on these new monitors. There are a number of different brands up to 30 inch models available and when you use full resolution images in your exe show, they are only downsampled by PTE to the native display of four megapixels and look outstanding.

On the other hand, since resolution of the MP4's which we create are limited to about two megapixels, to display an MP4 show full sized on a four megapixel display, it must be interpolated up which results in rather dramatic differences between the same show displayed in exe format and mp4 on these high resolution displays.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks, Lin. I get it.

..and we thought we'd never need better resolution than 1920x1080px :D

Lin

Yes, I know what you mean and that is why I don't want to talk to anyone connected with Apple or Ipad. They don't do the same things as we do here, hence the question.

Eric

What grounds do you have for saying I stir things up and what has my own forum got to do with anything. If anyone can be a rude individual, you ought to look much closer to home.

Crossfade

Thank you for the detailed reply

Barry,

As I understand it, I can't do that with iPad 3 is that correct ? Yes or No answers would be appreciated please, too much techno babble just makes my eyes glaze over

These three links will basically and briefly describe the iPad and its USB limitations/capabilities ... without all the techno babble

Can the iPad Be Connected to an External USB Hard

http://www.ehow.com/info_8113086_can-external-usb-hard-drive.html

How to Connect an iPad to an External Hard Drive

http://www.ehow.com/how_8205887_connect-ipad-external-hard-drive.html

What Can I Do With the USB Adapter on the iPad

http://www.ehow.com/info_8719727_can-do-usb-adapter-ipad.html