WnSoft Forums

Video Record Function on a DSLR

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

When I use my Nikon D90 on a tripod, I activate the shutter by using a wired remote shutter activator. It crossed my mind I would be trying the camera's video function on our next trip & wondered if my wired remote would start the video record function, it doesn't. The sequence of getting the camera to record video is to switch it on, press the Live View button, then press the OK button in the middle of the multi function selector. Which means IMO the first & last few frames of each take are going to be subject to camera shake unless you are extremely careful. I assume this anomoly is not just a Nikon thing but probaly applies to most DSLR's with Live View. Does anyone have a solution or know of a manufacturer whose wired remote will operate their video function. I don't have the infra red remote so I can't try that.

Yachtsman1 :(

...Which means IMO the first & last few frames of each take are going to be subject to camera shake unless you are extremely careful...

Which is why I was looking for a video editor package (). I have, for the moment, decided to use the "Convert Video Clip" function off the right-click menu in the File List panel of PTE v7 to remove the "shaky bits".

Peter

Peter & Eric,

Firstly ~ My apology to Peter, getting back to him about 'Zooming'. We had a major 'Radio-Broadband' failure

on the 12.th (inst) but thankfully its all restored now.

Here attached is an excellent (small) 'Video-Editing Program' called Machete-Lite ~ its only 1.4 Mb in size.

Some Background

1) Instead of messing around with the "idiosyncratics" of MOV-Clips we always convert them to AVI or WMV Media.

2) From experience we have found that this method gives us a stable workable product which we can Edit.

3) The 'Machete Video Editor' although very simple works really well with AVI and most Windows WMF Media.

Its up to you guys to try it out ~ In one of the attached shots it shows it working with our video-file "Wales-3"

(All data, links etc, given below).

Hope this helps....

Brian.(Conflow)

Link

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/machetelite.html

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Brian

Thanks for the suggestion of Machete Lite editor. I already have Nikon View NX2 & Video Pad which I have not yet gone in to in depth. I have downloaded Machete Lite & had a quick look, as with anything new I need to give it a trial before commenting. Of the three programmes I now have, Video Pad seems the most user friendly but that is only my initial impression.

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Brian,

No apology needed. We're all volunteers on this forum. We give what time we can, when we can. Thanks for the "heads up" on Machete Lite. If I decide that PTE's own "Convert Video Clip" feature isn't doing what I need, I'll give this a go.

Peter

Hi Brian, my Trend Micro antivirus tags this download site as "Dangerous".

Best regards, Gayland

Peter & Eric,

Firstly ~ My apology to Peter, getting back to him about 'Zooming'. We had a major 'Radio-Broadband' failure

on the 12.th (inst) but thankfully its all restored now.

Here attached is an excellent (small) 'Video-Editing Program' called Machete-Lite ~ its only 1.4 Mb in size.

Some Background

1) Instead of messing around with the "idiosyncratics" of MOV-Clips we always convert them to AVI or WMV Media.

2) From experience we have found that this method gives us a stable workable product which we can Edit.

3) The 'Machete Video Editor' although very simple works really well with AVI and most Windows WMF Media.

Its up to you guys to try it out ~ In one of the attached shots it shows it working with our video-file "Wales-3"

(All data, links etc, given below).

Hope this helps....

Brian.(Conflow)

Link

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/machetelite.html

Gayland,

Yes that may happen with certain Anti-Virus Programs when they encounter a New-Exe.File or Zip File

like Machete....its normal behaviour.

However I can assure you that the Machete-Exe.File is absolutely clean as we always scan Incoming

and Outgoing Files with Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast-Anti Virus. You may have to allow

"exceptions" within your Trend Anti-Virus for downloading such Files from within the Forum.

All the best...

Brian.(Conflow)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Brian

Just tried editing an MP4 clip downloaded from Youtube in Machete Lite, unfortunately it threw it out saying it couldn't. Tried the same clip with Video Pad & got a partial result in that it would only allow me to save the edit as an AVI not MP4, only if I bought the pay for version. JFYI. Without predjudice.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :ph34r:

Hi Eric,

Concerning Machete ~ I think you have got the wrong end of the stick here ~ Machete is not for .mp4/H264 as

coming down from YouTube. If you refer back to my #3 Post above ~ I wrote as follows:-

Viz:

Instead of messing around with the "idiosyncratics" of MOV-Clips we always convert them to AVI or WMV Media.

From experience we have found that this method gives us a stable workable product which we can Edit.

The 'Machete Video Editor' although very simple works really well with AVI and most Windows WMF Media"...

There is a utility which we use called "Cam2Avi" which converts your Camera-Files to Avi/Wmv which may help,

and from there we use 'Machete' ~ the great advantage being that all this is "lossless".

Concerning MPEG.4 and .mp4 they are 2 totally different things and its all very confused once Apple started

to use .mp4 in MPEG-Containers. In a nutshell .mp4 is an Apple-Product for Video & Music which is designed

for iPhones,iPads,Androids and the like and it can be used on Windows PCs once YouTube have processed it.

For those who are going to correct me "Back-off" ~I'm keeping this simple~ And Eric if you want to read up on

this "Fiasco" I enclose a PDF below explaining all 27-Sections of MPEG-technology...you get my drift !!!

Here below is some data, I hope it helps...

Brian.(Conflow)

Guest Yachtsman1

Brian

As our esteemed PM says calm down you'll blow a transister. The files I tried to edit in Machete had first been converted to MP4 at my instigation using the Youtube downloader suggested by DG. See attached screen shots. :unsure:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-08777000-1337540624_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-72226200-1337540725_thumb.jp

Hi Eric,

I looked at your Screenshots and its as I though:-

a)

Image-1(below) Is a copy of yours, and is a (Lo-quality) Flash-Video File (Adobe-product)

b)

Image-2(below) is a oopy of yours, and all I see are .mp4-Files (iTunes Audio/Video) and

a 'dataless' Image called MP4-Video...but what is it? ~indeed~ whats in it?

c)

My own shot of 'Windows-Media Player' trying to play an .mp4-Video (natively) - No joy.

d)

When someone says they have an MP4-Video - To us thats means "MPEG-4" which is the 'New-Compact'

container for Standard MPeg-I and MPeg-II Audio/Video ~ Files as you would have on a Standard DVD.

e)

This is a different kettle of Fish to: (.mp4 iTunes Audio/Video) which I was trying to explain to you.

Unfortunately Apple have started to use the MPEG-4 Container which is causing the confusion.

This is exactly the situation I dont want to get into, and its why I sent you the "Cam2Avi-Program"

to try out as an alternative (lossless) way around these problems.

See Image 04 Below which might explain the confusion.

Brian.Conflow)

Guest Yachtsman1

Brian

Tried to open your screen shots & you must have deleted them as I was trying to open them???? :unsure:

Regards eric

yachtsman1.

I think you must have changed the screen shots? I have now looked at them, the source is Youtube, downloaded & converted with DG's Youtube downloader. I have a copy of the original, & the one I edited.

Regards Eric.

Yachtsman1

Eric,

My apology ~ I was annoting the Shots and adding additional 04-Image which I had forgotten .

All is edited and well now (just Tested) all OK in my #12 Post above but the sequence Nos;

are a little askew. No:4 is first, then 1,2,3.

Brian.

Hi Eric,

Been very busy tonight preparing for a Presentation tomorrow ~ However you will find below

a series of "Screen-Shots" and a "New-Video-File" showing 'Machete-Editor' running with your

Demo-Video (which is a genuine Avi) and a shot of Open-With-Selections which you should

try out on your PC.

Brian.

Guest Yachtsman1

Brian

I don't think you are getting this. The video I downloaded from Youtube was initially converted enroute by DG's Youtube downdlaoder from whatever it was on Youtube. I then tried to edit it in Machete & got an error message say, to the effect, this type of file could not be edited. See screen shot 2.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Added after seeing your zip clip, that was the AVI clip I cut out of the Youtube original download using Video Pad, the original was 3 minutes & I only wanted the pandas in the boot bit.

post-5560-0-77488200-1337579423_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-35656500-1337579476_thumb.jp

Eric,

I have absolutely no idea how "DG's-Downloader" works ~ I don't use the Program....

Earlier you wrote that Machete "does not work" and you gave Shots to that effect but on examination of those

it became clear the Clips were never going to work as they were in an 'Unacceptable-Format' for Machete-Editor.

I went through a lot of work to demonstrate to you (and others) that Machete does work properly this despite your

original comment. I simply can not understand what you are trying to do ~ It appears to me that you are trying to

force Machete to do something it was never designed to do !!

Then finally (in your own words)..."That was the AVI clip I cut out of the YouTube original download using Video Pad"...

Yes, and that works in Machete-Editor so why not go ahead and Edit the Avi-Clip in Machete ??

You wanted Pandas-In-Boot ~ See Zip.

From my point of view I think it time to leave it at that: Its QED !!

All the best.

Brian.

I wonder if it might be a good idea to call it "Youtube Downloader HD" instead of DG's Downloader (if that is what is being refered to?).

It looks as though it is my invention when in fact I merely offered an alternative method/software.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Brian

We are going around in circles & getting knowhere. The short AVI clip with the Pandas in the boot was produced by Video Pad, so why would I want Machete to re edit it??? The file that Machete would not edit as per the last screensots was the original downloaded MP4 from from DG's Youtube downloader set to produce an MP4, see previous screen shots. If that doesn't explain it then I don't know. I am happy to use Video Pad for now, should things change I may try Machete but I don't see the point. I will not be commenting further on this thread.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :blink:

Eric,

I have told you till I'm blue in the face that .mp4 is not suitable for Machete ~ It wont work in Machete !!

For heavens sakes please read its Help File ~ its like expecting Apple-Files to work in Windows ~ they wont !!

With respects it's not me who is going around in circles ~ its you trying to do something impossible.

Lets leave it at that.

Regards,

Brian.

I have told you till I'm blue in the face that .mp4 is not suitable for Machete ~ It wont work in Machete !!

Then why do they say mp4 is supported in version 3.6? http://www.machetesoft.com/machete-version-history.html

For heavens sakes please read its Help File ~ its like expecting Apple-Files to work in Windows ~ they wont !!

What is an 'Apple-File' ?

As someone who regularly moves files back and forth between Mac and PC, I'd really like to know what it is that shouldn't be working, because it all works quite well.

Crossfade,

Re: "Machete-Lite"

Well 'Johnny Last' as usual to criticise again ~ You go and tell Eric that because he say's it does not work,

and as we are at it, Machete are talking about MOV and Apple-Quicktime Video/Audio ????? Files mostly

over 4.Gb (In other versions) ~ Had you read their previous 'Help-Files' that was for future development.

Its now nice to see that they have reached limited success where others have failed miserably.

If I recollect correctly I introduced "Machete-Lite" to this Forum some time ago. I'm glad you agree it works

for you because its an excellent simple Program which does as 'claimed' and I do not introduce Software to

this Forum which does not work....

I have no further comment on this Topic.

Brian.(Conflow)