WnSoft Forums

Mike Test

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I've collated my tests on using an Olympus LS10 recorder as a microphone on a Panasonic FZ150 Bridge Camera & put them into an Exe. The video clips have been edited & optimised using PTE's video converter & clip editor. I have not used the best quality from the camera to keep the file size as low as possible. My initial test tried to use the camera's hot shoe to mount the LS10, but this has major disadvatages, the first is it prevents the optical viewfinder being used, & secondly ties up the hot shoe which could mount the flash or a video light. Luckily I had on off camera flash mount bought in my 20's, I knew it would come in use one day :P/> (50 years later). The LS10 hasn't been fine tuned for the new use, it's set to record voice overs, so further testing needed, also for outside use I will probably buy the optional widshield, however the cost is prohibitive for the Panasonic item (£30 to £40), cheepo Chinese £7 delivered free from China :o/>. I am also considering a fluid head for my Manfrotto tripod, which again is expensive for the amount of use it will get, I'll try the existing head first.

Mechanics of the Exe. 65MB :blink:/> Mediafire download, 3m 32s run time, 13 slides 2 video clips, slide size 1920x1080, video details as per attached screen shot. One music track via Audacity & voice overs on video. keyboard active.

Thanks to Peter & others in guiding me through my first video edits wit PTE. More practice needed Ken :)/>

link removed by author, PM me if you want the link.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-31487300-1337682336_thumb.jp

Eric,

Sounds like your Olympus recorder has automatic gain control on.... Nasty.

Quality is not great,but if you are happy with it,then no need to get

a decent microphone.

Your local music shop should let you try out different mics though.

You can better gauge if thats the route to take and if so,what best suits you and your pocket.

Don't expect miracles though,from cheapo mics.

Rubish in,rubbish out,is the old saying. :)

Davy

Guest Yachtsman1

Davy

Sounds like you didn't read all the post, which seems to be a problem on the forum when people give a full explanation?

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

I watched the slideshow and I thought it was very good. I do notice a difference in audio S/N ratio from the LS10 and internal FZ150 microphone. I wonder if remote microphones are not signal processed for NR. Also maybe the LS10 does not signal process the external output jack. Have you compared the audio quality from the LS10 memory card to the LS10 audio when used as remote microphone on the FZ150 camera? The FZ150 does have a couple of audio options for wind noise and zoom gain.

Watching your video gave me a thought about PIP with the instructor in the corner during PTE tutorials. I don't know if you, Lin, Barry, or ? have tried using this technique for screen recording and then adding webcam/camera video PIP. I know Camtasia Studio has this feature but have never seen it in a PTE slideshow.

post-2058-0-14071200-1337696392_thumb.jp

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom

I had read the piece from the manual in your attachment but the wind cut didn't register with me. I have the zoom mike set to on & wondered why I couldn't access the wind cut feature. Now I know. I haven't done any comparison tests between the sound recorded via the camera alone or via the Olympus. I will give it a try to see which is best, without the zoom set. I haven't tried the sound recorded on the Olympus card, that's something else. I may not have enough life left to take all this in :huh: Saying all that, it's a well known fact that jack connections are notorious for generating noise. I wonder if it would work via the USB inputs/outputs?

I'll keep you informed

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom & anyone else who may be interested.

I have just downloaded the two sound files from the Olypus LS10 recoded simultaneously with the video clips. Incidentally the are WAV files which is how I have the recororder set to record. They sound better than those recorded by the camera, much clearer & crisp. It could be the zoom setting on the camera & me being in close proimity when recording that produced the lower quality. Incidentally, the LS10 was also on it's zoom setting. So unless it's recording voice, it may be better to use the recording from the LS10. For my next session I will remove the zoom setting from the camera & if outside activate the wind cut. (sounds like an indigestion tablet ;) ) More later.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.