WnSoft Forums

Digital Projector

I know this topic has been discussed many times, but its difficult to get very interested until your about to buy, as our photo club now is.

Can I ask anyone who uses a HD format Digital Projector in their own club to tell me what you purchased and your views on the projector for club competitions. I suppose I am most interested in the make and model (although the models change so fast) and also how it handles the colour balance between the club laptop and what you see on screen. Any other views/suggestions gratefully received.

Guest Yachtsman1

Barry

I bought a new projector earlier this year when I went over to widescreen format. I searched through all the major manufacturers before I arrived at the Optoma HD600X-LV-B. I wanted something that would handle all that PTE & commercial DVDs could throw at it at a reasonable cost, it's specified as a "Gaming" projector. I suppose your club's interests are aimed more at straight photography, so I'm not sure this would fit the bill. It does what I want & didn't break the bank & if in 3 years time trends have changed, wouldn't be a hardship to have to replace it.

Yachtsman1

HD600X-LV-B-en-GB.pdf

Hi Eric I, interested in this also, but cannot find a listing for the HD600X-LV-B. Is yours the 3D projector as in the manual you attached?

Thanks

Geoff

Edit

Sorry just done what I should have done in the first place and read the manual. I see now that a 3D adaptor is needed, not that I need 3D. Just one question, why did you go for 720p instead of 1080, was it just financial considerations or were there other reasons?

Another one to consider is the Epson TW3600.

This is used by two clubs I belong to, both very satisfied with color balance etc.

It has the advantage of an adjustable lens which allows you to avoid most of the common key-stone problems.

This is a link www.avitav.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=4421&category_id=54&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=135http://www.avitav.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=4421&category_id=54&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=135vitav.co.uk&gclid=CIKSt-v7yKcCFQUz3wod7hhRFA

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric I, interested in this also, but cannot find a listing for the HD600X-LV-B. Is yours the 3D projector as in the manual you attached?

Thanks

Geoff

Edit

Sorry just done what I should have done in the first place and read the manual. I see now that a 3D adaptor is needed, not that I need 3D. Just one question, why did you go for 720p instead of 1080, was it just financial considerations or were there other reasons?

Hi Geoff

Finance is always near the top of my list, 1080p was a step too far cost wise when I bought this one. It was at a good price on Amazon. I still kept my my original XGA projector as a stand by in case of failure. I've said this before, if you are in need of detailed info, there is lots on this site http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/index.htm?gclid=CIL5yeH1sbACFYwQfAodcGJnUA

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Geoff

Finance is always near the top of my list, 1080p was a step too far cost wise when I bought this one. It was at a good price on Amazon. I still kept my my original XGA projector as a stand by in case of failure. I've said this before, if you are in need of detailed info, there is lots on this site http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/index.htm?gclid=CIL5yeH1sbACFYwQfAodcGJnUA

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS Just checked my Amazon orders & it's still available see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005E0LT24/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

Hello Barry,

Most of the camera clubs in this part of the world are using the Canon LCOS technology. No screendoor effect from LCD and no rainbows that some people may see with DLP technology.

They are easily colour profiled.

The drawback is cost.

Kieron

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcos.htm

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/projectors/lcos_projectors

Most of the camera clubs in this part of the world are using the Canon LCOS technology ...

I would like to second this proposal. We have been using a Canon WUX10 Mark II since autumn last year, and we are quite happy with it :)

Regards,

Xaver

At over £5000 the Canon WUX10 Mark II is an extremely expensive option.

At least it is Full HD which the Canon XEED projectors are not.

In my opinion, the better value for money options are available in the Epson and Optoma ranges.

At over £5000 the Canon WUX10 Mark II is an extremely expensive option.

At least it is Full HD ....

OK, it is not cheap. We bought it during the HDAV Roadshow (Stumpfl) at somewhat more than 4000 Euro. It isn't FullHD, it is WUXGA (1920x1200).

Regards,

Xaver

Barry, I work with projector Misubishi HC 7000 Home LCD HD 1920x1080. colors- black/ white like JVC Lcos systeem very good for that prize € 2000

see www.projectorrevieuws.com thank you.

I have seen a Canon in operation with one of our Nikon sponsored speakers recently and it was impressive, but a bit out of our range. I will have another look at what is on offer with the Canon icos range later though, because the Aussie dollar is strong at the moment, it does make kit like this a bit more affordable

Been looking at this one http://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/EH-TW9000W.asp Anyone know of it, have experience of it. My thoughts are that you can't go too far wrong with Canon or Epson.

Thanks for all your suggestions, keep them coming if you can

This is an upgraded (and more expensive) version of the projector I recommended.

It should be very good - a professional dealership will let you drive before you buy.

Good luck with that, Barry. I would have thought a big city like Brisbane would have a good dealership but failing that you'll have to take a chance on it - I've not heard anyone whose disappointed with the Epson HD projectors.

Robert

Robert

Yes, I have found a dealer with the projector and he is willing to allow me to connect my laptop to it for a trial. My laptop is identical to the clubs one so that will be interesting. Fortunately we are currently in Brisbane doing a few talks so I can even save the 200k round trip from home.

I know how difficult it is to find the right projector and will post my views for what they are worth later.

I did 3 demos at Brisbane library over the weekend under the Photographic Society of Queensland, but have to say that for such a prestigious venue, the in built projector was rubbish. Bad colour, too bright and doing it's own little shimmy.

My camera club recently bought a new projector, a Dell 4320 DLP machine, was lucky to get a $700 discount, about a third of the price! Native resolution is 1280 x 800, brightness 3,600 lumens - it's BRIGHT! I think it can handle 720p images, and will handle 1080p with good quality.

The colors are miles ahead of our earlier Epson LCD machine, and one can select from several colour options, including sRGB which is standard in this country for New Zealand Photographic Society functions.

No-one in the club can see any fringing reputed to happen with DLP machines, so I don't think that would be a problem.

We are very happy with it.

Yesterday I visited Aussi HiFi close to Brisbane where this http://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/EH-TW9000W.asp projector was set up in a darkened room. We watched a movie for a while and it was so good the wife wanted to dump our TV and buy one of these for our TV room.

I was also able to plug in my laptop and the images looked perfect to me. Great contrast, great colours, miles above anything we have now. Our club will definately be buying this model.

The cost of this Projector in Australia is $3700 and that converts to £2371. No doubt due to the strength of the Aussie currency at the moment.

Our Camera Club was fortunate to get a grant for the projector, which makes the purchase even less painful :lol:

A couple of years and they will be half the price, but then we will want whatever replaces them won't we?