WnSoft Forums

Digital Projector

Dave how do you determine "good hdmi cables"?

approx 3-4 years ago the CBC -Canadian Broadcasting Company ran tests similar to the type run by the magazine Consumer Reports, on big box stores push selling on electronic gear -- ex you go in to buy a tv they push you to buy monster cables -- they bought the cables - took them back to their labs and ran a series of tests that proved the $50 cables were no better than $5 cables in performance

quite likely the BBC have similar expose's

ken

Ken,

I mean "Branded" as opposed to "Unbranded".

Logik, Belkin, Sandstrom, Microsoft XBox 360.....................

Not expensive but but certainly not "cheap" in the nasty sense!!

I agree that as far as performance is concerned there is little to choose but as far as BUILD is concerned you only need a cable to fail once in the middle of a high profile competition/show to know the worth of "good" quality build.

Another point - always have a SPARE!

DG

Dave

this the one they pushed into buying

http://www.monstercable.com/

and similar

got to remember salesman are on commission and they are trained in PT Barnum's philosophy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._T._Barnum

when i was into videoing skating competitions and carnivals pre '88 i might have had 2 cables fail and i was running 10 sets of tv/beta/vhs -- we had suitcases to carry the vcr's c/w cable's

have seen guys wire their cars/vans and use #4 wire because of the size of the power supplies and speakers -- last week a fella bought a new Mercedes cube van and my car radio guy was wiring it for him - wire like you never seen )))

ken

I think cables are a rip off to be honest, over priced and you would never tell the difference between one that cost $80 and one for &10. I know because I have both and now know how I was fleeced when I bought the $80 one.

The cheeper one does the same job and how often does a cable fail???

Well I have done demos for years, first with twin Kodak Carousel projectors, disolve unit, 4 track tape deck, amplifier speakers and cables galore.

Now the same with laptops and speakers, desktops and speakers, keyboards personbal mike and all the myriad of cables that are required. Never had a cable let me down, so you have to put these things into perpective don't you. I once had two punctures in my car, but I don't carry two spares just in case.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/EH-TW9000W.asp

Epson 1920*1080 resolution

Our club finally bought the projectorabove, we shopped around and found one that didn't have the wirelessspec (not needed for club use) and that was a few hundred dollarscheaper.

We had a guest speaker at the club, soI didn't risk playing with the settings of the projector, just incase I screwed up his night. I never saw the projector till clubnight.

We plugged in the HDMI cable and theresults straight out of the box were superb. Our guest speakerMichael Snedick is one of the top wildlife photographers in Queensland and he commented that it was the best projector he had ever used. Thecolours were bright and accurate and its so easy to line up on thescreen. Its a big machine but super quiet too.

Some time between now and next clubmeeting I will investigate the settings, but first impressions weregreat.

A couple of PTE slide shows we played looked pretty good too