WnSoft Forums

Video for iPad 4

davegee

would anyone care to comment on their experiences with PTE Video for iPad 3.

Quality?

Resolution (1920x1080)?

Fill Screen (or part screen)?

Transitions (Smooth)?

I have made a short (4 minute) MP4 using the iPad defaults and the quality when played back on my PC with MPC-HC is great for the file size (it's great - full stop!).

Anyone have any do's or don'ts?

I anticipate getting one in the near future and have been doing a little research into it. It seems easy enough to get the Video into the iPad using the SD Card adaptor.

TIA,

DG

Thanks Tom,

I appreciate your comments.

At this time I'm going to concentrate on 1920x1080 to get some uniformity across the different "gadgets" - TV; Computer; iPad.

The output for iPad from PTE plays well in most players on my PC and when I manage to get one onto the iPad I'll report back. Then I'll see what, if anything, is necessary for full resolution playback on the iPad.

DG

Tom,

Well, I added experimental support of 4K video (up to 4096 x 3072) in HD video output (H.264) to Release candidate version 7.5.

YouTube doesn't support 4k video anymore:

YouTube once allowed a maximum resolution of 4096 x 3072 (12.6 megapixels) but in 2012, it lowered the maximum resolution to 2048 x 1536 (3.1 megapixels).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

DG,

We have an iPad 2, and tomorrow we'll also have a Mini coming from Apple. What I have done in the past is to simple create a folder on my desktop called IPad images. In it I transfer any movies, PTE shows or still images and sync them via iTunes. You cannot (to my knowledge) transfer directly from an SD card to an iPad UNLESS your images/movies are in their original DCIM folder from the camera. I've even tried to create a DCIM folder after the fact and copy files into it. Didn't work for me. SD card works great if you are just moving/coping files straight from the camera to the iPad. Also I've had great success watching shows/movies from the iPad via an HDMI cable to the big screen TV. Resolution is great.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,

There is a video on youtube which suggests that it can be done and how to do it. I have sort of decided on getting the lightning to usb adaptor first and then the lightning to hdmi. I will report my findings and try to post the tutorial link.

Best wishes,

DG

I got the iPad 4 on Friday as promised by the Apple Shop.

Did a few experiments resulting in a 1920x1080 MP4 (for iPad3/4) being transferred via USB to Lightning connector and iTunes.

I have never seen quality like this before!!

If this is what an Apple Retina display looks like I want a 27" Apple Monitor for my PC!!!

Amazing! I'm knocked out - thanks Igor!!

I am not sure if the 1920x1080 is filling the width - need to modify test show with a more suitable BG for testing.

DG

• 5 months later...

I am a newbie to iPads. I have purchased an iPad 4. I have generated a video for the iPad using defaults in pte. Uploaded to dropbox and then transferred the zip file to ipad. I can not figure out how to go from here. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Howard

Here's how I would do it via iTunes:

Open iTunes

In the drop-down (top left) select FILMS then GENRES

Add your MP4 - drag and drop

Connect iPad via USB

In iTunes, click on the iPad Icon (top left)

Choose Films>Genres

Tick or untick the Videos that you want on the iPad

Click on Apply (bottom right)

Done.

Doing it via Wi-Fi is exactly the same - it just takes longer.

I currently have 3 PTE MP4 Videos on the iPad (Retina) which were added this way.

DG

Here's how I would do it via iTunes:

Open iTunes

In the drop-down (top left) select FILMS then GENRES

Add your MP4 - drag and drop

Connect iPad via USB

In iTunes, click on the iPad Icon (top left)

Choose Films>Genres

Tick or untick the Videos that you want on the iPad

Click on Apply (bottom right)

Done.

Doing it via Wi-Fi is exactly the same - it just takes longer.

I currently have 3 PTE MP4 Videos on the iPad (Retina) which were added this way.

DG

DG,

Thanks, I now have it on my PC on iTunes.

I connected my iPad by USB port.

I do not see controls you are talking about to apply the transfer on either device. As I said ,I am a newbie even on iTunes. Any more suggestions?Thanks

iTunes on PC is 11.0.2.6. - The version on the iPad is what came on the unit. I do not see how to find version on the iPad. Thanks.

I am a newbie to iPads. I have purchased an iPad 4. I have generated a video for the iPad using defaults in pte. Uploaded to dropbox and then transferred the zip file to ipad. I can not figure out how to go from here. Any suggestions?

zip file won't work. You need to make an mp4 movie.

Add the movie to itunes, then select the ipad from the device list button, then click the Movies tab and select your movie (and any other movies you want), then sync. Do the same for music, photos and apps.

Also pick Show Sidebar in the View menu. I dont know why they hid it.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/inside-itunes/Device-syncing-with-the-new-iTunes.jpg

To play any of the movies you copied, use the Video app that comes with the ipad.

Dave

I think my iTunes version is different. See attached. I have to click the video after dragging it into iTunes, but care to do it only once or the video is launched on the PC. Then click the little arrow to the right of the video title and then Barrys iPad. Pain in the backside if you ask me, but at least it works.

I have had a few emails from people saying they cannot get Mp4's on their iPad, its not the fault of the Mp4, they go on all our iPads here and others, so it does seem that many are having difficulty with this. Its not very easy to do, untill you tumble the right order to do things.