WnSoft Forums

Missing image stops the show

PeteC

Can anyone solve this problem for me? I've built quite a large show (210 slides so far), but when I opened it today, it warns me of a missing image. The problem is, I can't identify what is missing. The path it shows me is too long, cutting off the file name, ie "Picture: C:\Documents and Settings\Peter Croft\My Documents\My Pictures\image", but that's all that I can see of the filename. I don't know what is missing, there's nothing of that name in that folder, and so I can't fix it. This means I can't preview or Create the show! Ouch!

I've tried saving it with a new file name. but no good. I can't find any way to tell it to ignore that slide or just forget the error. There's nothing like it in the list of used slides (they all come from dedicated directories on E: drive. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete, you are not the first who encounters this issue, and unfortunately there is not (not yet) a horizontal scroll bar in this window.

The first advice, for the moment, is to chose short paths for your pictures (like C:\PTE\MyShow1\image1.jpg), but this cannot help you now.

When you open the *.pte file and you see the warning window, clicking "OK" the list of ALL pictures appears in "Slide List". Now, clicking on pictures, you'll see them in the top if can be found; if some picture is missing, you'll don't see it and you'll hear a "ding" in speakers.

I realize that with 200 pictures it's a little boring method, but I think it is the easiest, and less slow than others...

Pete

Your senario has gotten all of us at one time or another. Follow Guido's advise ... plus ...

Its always best to gather all your Pictures and show resources into a single working folder ... parts splayed about your pc will become moved or changed sooner or later. Disaster will then follow. :)

To SAVE your current .PTE project file .... remove the missing file name and insert a new or another file in its replacement. SAVE the file. Best to use a odd photo ... so you can easily track down the real one to replace as originally intended.

Thanks guys. I was afraid of this. In fact all my slides are coming from folders with short paths, ie E:\Images\Japan\R01\JPGs. I just don't know how that image from the My Pictures folder got there. Seems to be one of those Windows glitches. Oh well... sigh!

Thanks again. By the way, the more I use this program, the more I appreciate it. A friend and I have been surveying all the slide show programs recently looking for "the one". I haven't found another show that offers all the little features that make P2E so good. For example, the automatic display of slide number and file name in the comment line - just what I needed and there it is.

But the most significant feature, for my use, is the ability to set up buttons or hot-spots to jump to a slide number. I divide my shows up into sections this way with a menu slide at the beginning. This is the outstanding feature that no other low price program offers.

I also own Macromedia Director v6 and have finally figured out how to use it (enough to make a slide show, anyway). I've been using both Director and P2E to build versions of the same show, and I'm beginning to think that P2E will produce the better result. Not bad for a $25 program.

However, Photodex ProShow Gold is shaping up to be strong competition. Still a bit buggy and it doesn't offer the hyperjumping, but it's not bad.

Cheers,

Pete

PeteC and all others with same problem,

Go to your pte file and open it with Notepad or similar.

(notepad don't open big files so try any text editor)

Scroll down and you'll see details of each slide, including the full path.

You can change the path here and save.

Then put the picture in your new path.