WnSoft Forums

Query Ulead DVD MovireFactory

Photo26

I have spent most of the day trying to create a DVD, My first problem was in connection with the download of “Ulead DVD MoviFactory2”, I tried several times but I only seemed to have the option of downloading Ulead DVD MoviFactory3, can someone advise me is version 2 and old version or a different version completly. I am on broadband and it took almost one hour to download. (the first time it stopped downloading at around 95% - so I had to start again) I opened Ulead DVD MoviFactory3, and the window has many options none seem to fit the list of instructions as shown on this site when using version 2. I have the following options "Create Video Disc", "Create Slide show disc", “Create music disc”, “Create data disc”, “Direct to disc”, “Edit Disc”, “Copy disc” and “DVD Player”. I looked at the first two and tried selecting DVD and Existing Project and used the drop down arrow to locate my AVI file. Called "name_vid751" it tells me that it is not a valid project file, or its format is not currently supported. Can someone advise me what I should do.

Guest Techman1

Photo26,

Welcome first of all. I don't have MovieFactory3, but have used version 2 successfully. I would imagine that the first option you listed "Create Video Disc" would be the one to use. Regarding the file not being recognized, are you leaving PTE active (still running) after you have created the AVI file. This is necessary or your AVI file won't be recognized properly by any DVD creation program.

I haven't heard one way or another whether MovieFactory3 works with PTE, but I would think it would. Maybe someone else with recent experience can advise since Ulead just recently released this version.

Please let us know and good luck!

Fred

Thanks for the reply, Yes I did leave it active. When I used the drop down arrow to locate my AVI file no files were listed. It was by default looking for DMF Project (*.dwz) files, mine called "name_vid751" was not visable till I changed it to All Files (*.*). I still am wondering about the difference between Version 2 & 3.

Hi

You might be interested to know that I also downloaded the trial version of Ulead MovieFactory 3 (Version 2 does not appear to be available on their site) - 55 mins on Broadband after several attempts.

I also found it wouldn't recognise the PTE .avi file. I did notice however that when installed it appeared to check the box in PTE itself (to indicate that the creation of the SVCD would be done by Ulead MovieFactory).

As it currently costs $99 to buy, I'll stick with Nero VisionExpress 2 (I already have the full Nero 6 Suite and plug-ins), possibly supplemented by TMPGEnc for the encoding bit (for speed).

I still have more trials to do first though; my PC is on the border line for speed etc. and my new PC will be with me in about two weeks.

Can anyone suggest what I should do, should I delete the MovieFactory3, then download the MovieFactory2 fromwww.lowcost.com Do really need such an expensive software kit, All I want to do is create a PictueToExe audio visual on a DVD disc instead of what I currently do to a CD for PC use. I am amassed how complicated it seems to be getting. John

Guest Techman1

John,

You can get Version 2 on eBay for around $15 from many different people/companies. Some of these include the shipping price (so $15 flat fee). It depends on where you live (US?).

I have used Ulead version 2 successfully to create PTE shows on DVD. Anyway, good luck to you!

I was hoping someone on this forumn would have also tested Version 3 by now, but it appears that it is just too new.

Fred

Well I have had another unsuccessful day, I have a stack of NEW DVDs I have attempted to create my AV's to. They all seem to be corrupt and I can no longer use them. I have tried to contact ulead MovieFactory - don't seem to want to give any help on the trial version. I followed the instructions from PictureToExe to create the AV I saved the file (.......vid) and opened up MovieFactory3, Selected "Create Video Disc", selected "New Project" and DVD Ok, clicked on "Add Video Files, selected file created (....._vid749.ptev selected NEXT - Next selected Recording format "DVD-Video" ticked record to disc and it started to "Convert Video Title" 1/1, and after working for around 15min I got two error messages (1) "Failed to reuse corrupted cache file" (4570) followed by a second error "Unspecified Error" Report ID: 0x800411da (4570) [14252:1:0]. I really think I shall give up. I do have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 does anyone know if this will do the conversion, I did see that some one had used version 6 ?

John

Hi Ken, Thanks for help, I have not been switching off the "Antivirus" (Norton) so did - I tried recording to a standard CD (drag & drop - MS XP) and this worked, I then recorded a CD with some MP3 music using ulead MovieFactory3, this worked. I could not see an option in ulead MovieFactory2 for writing to a CD - teh options are DVD, VCD, SVCD & DVD-VR. I am going out shortly to get some more DVD, perhaps R-RW to I can give it another try - ie copying PictureToExe to DVD. I will see if it works with the Norton Antivirus disabled. John

Hi Ken, I did use movie factory to burn an MP3 music file and it did burn ok. I have tried my hardest to try and contact the manufacturers, but it seems without a serial number it's impossible. I have even tried to contact the importers also with out any luck. I have never come across such a strange company. Without getting the demo to work I certainly would not purchase it. I have obtained some DVD+RW so I don't waste any more DVD's. I have tried all sorts of combinations with the Norton switched off, still without any luck, I still get the same two messages: - (1) "Failed to reuse corrupted cache file" (4570) followed by(2) "Unspecified Error" Report ID: 0x800411da (4570) [14252:1:0].

When DVD Movie Factory3 is running I can see two progress bars, the top one is (TOTAL PROGRESS)"Preparing Video Title data" and the bottom one is (DETAILED PROGRESS) "Converting Video Title 1/1" it's just after the completion of "Converting Video Title 1/1" that the error shows up. At no time does the DVD burner seem to be running - I am presuming that information was being sent to my hard disc.

I think I will have to give up on it and try another manufacture, I seem to be the only person using this version. Perhaps I should try TMpegEnc from www.tmpgenc.net

The help files don't seem any help in giving me answer to the error codes.

Thanks - John

John, I certainly appreciate your frustrations and I conclude you are a patient, persistant man. A couple of thoughts for you -

When PTE Beta first came out with the DVD capability, I had quite good success with Movie Factory 2 Trial. I wrote in this forum a step by step process that worked for me. But when you started relating your problems I have not found time to try to help.

I have now recently installed the Movie Factory 2 trial on a different machine. I have also (after reading your postings) dl'd the Movie Factory 3 that I think you are using. I have been working with both in a few minutes here and there. I find, even with my previous success with Video Factory 2, I still have frequent problems with both Versions 2 & 3. But they do both work for me on some projects. There are soooo many variables out there it can drive almost anyone crazy. There is the rendering or processing that the Ulead programs do, the burning process of the drive and the compatability of the DVD player!

In the last few days, I have realized that many of my DVD's will play with a software DVD player on both my computers but will not play on my stand-alone DVD player. But I do still burn some that will play on the stand-alone.! What makes it difficult to trouble shoot is the very very long processing time before the main burn takes place.

I had a 15 or 19 minute PTE show that I was processing in both Video Factory 2 and 3. Video Factory 2 on the slower machine took 3+ hours before it failed. Video Factory 3, on a faster machine was going at a rate that would have taken 4+ hours had it not also failed after 3 or so hours! I then tried a new PTE show of about 3 minutes and was successful with both versions. In trying to possibly solve my problem and yours I was reading around in the Ulead site. There I found that there is a size limit of the sound file that can be included. I'm sorry, I'd have to try to trace down that limit again. Whatever the limit, I am normally under that, but in that PTE show, my mp3 sound file was 29 minutes long and exceded the Ulead size limit! I don't know how PTE incorporates the mp3 file, as to whether Ulead would fail on the mp3 file withing PTE, but I know I was able to do a shorter show with a more normal (3mb) mp3 file.

I think, with sufficient time, you and I could both succeed. But time? I hope to keep trying to eliminate the questions so the process can be reliable. I really like the Version 2 interface and ease versus some other programs. Also, I think the picture quality of PTE shows is generally at it's best with Factory2. So, if you do keep trying, don't tire of sharing here. Many of us may eventually benefit.

Meanwhile, if you want to try the Version 2 trial, I or someone might be able to find the dl'd file on our hard drive and snail mail it to you? Or, as Techman suggested, you can buy the Movie Factory 2 on Ebay for under $15 including shipping. I just bought it yesterday for $12. Someone said they could not find it on Ebay, but they probably searched for Video Factory 2 when it should be Movie Factory 2. As you see, I have erroneously used both names interchangeably in this lengthy message! (I hope the above makes sense. It is so long that even I don't want to re-read it.) :huh:

Hi, I have just purchased a full edition of MovieFactory (I hope it's V2) from eBay as suggested, I hope it arrives in a day or so - I will then give that a try. Thanks for the long letter LumenLux. I was hoping for some comments from others who may have been using MovieFactory3 but perhaps its not been tried much yet.

John

It Arrived today. But still can’t seem to create my first DVD.

On the box it’s called Ulead DVD MovieFactory, Easily Author Home Movies to CD or DVD. It has a serial number, but does not say what version. I have looked all overt the box and also on the various screens after installation. I have seen another box identical to mine that has the version 2 contained within it. Perhaps all the products come in the same box. I was hoping to register it so I could get some support, but I have tried all combinations on the Web site and it just will not allow me to register it. “Just my luck”

I am listing some of the screens, can anyone tell me what version it is please.

When I open it I get the following Screen view:-

· Capture Video

· Author Menus

· Burn Disk Images

· Make CD Labels and Covers

Capture Video (shows as being:- Grab Video from a camcorder/other device and convert to DVD/VCD-ready Video.

On selecting this you get the following options:-

CAPTURE. If I select this I get an error message “There are no capture drivers installed in this system”

EDIT. Selecting this gives you several options, (a) you can select video files, so I did this and selected my file Name_vid524.ptev

This then highlighted thee options

· “Clip Properties”

· “Batch convert”

· “Make Movie”

Clip Properties showed the selected file with it’s path of directories etc.

It showed Video as being PTE Video codc and

Audio = PCM Audio

Batch Convert gives 15 various options plus a custom one

§ DVD: 720x576 High quality

§ DVD: 720x576 Low quality

VDV …….

§ SVCD ……

§ AVI …..DV

§ AVI …. Cinepak

§ AVI …. No compression

§ MPEG 1, & 2 various sixes and qualities

§ VMV’s etc. etc

Make Movie that seems to have the same options as Batch convert.

None of these options seem to accept the ptev files

EXPORT.

This has seven options:-

Ø Create DVD Title

Ø Create SDVD Title

Ø Create VCD Title

Ø DV Recording

Ø Web Page

Ø E-mail

Ø Greeting Card

And a settings button.

Perhaps someone who has a version like this can tell me what it is, also how can I contact Ulead from the UK

This seems like the never-ending-saga. :(

I too have been suffering through the agony with my new full version 2. The package I received (via ebay seller) actually shows on the cd jewel case and on the opening screen as being Ulead product but packaged for Tiger Direct. So far, I have had failure after failure and then some weird "success."

My package does have serial number evident on the cd jewell case. But when I installed, the installation screen showed a grayed-in serial number different than that on the package. I went ahead and registered with no problem. Then the problems began. If I had not previously had success with the Trial and liked Version 2 for ease of use, I would probablyjump ship about here. But I am still trying to unravel and get consistent results. Don't know.

Upon registering, I dl'd and installed a posted "update." The update was large and the screens looked like it was totally new version it was installing. The "dumbed down" working screens however do not allow even looking in normal way to see what version is in operation - before or after the updated!

With the updated version I stayed up way too late and failed time after time - always getting the error box: Failed to convert video file - Error: 80041c21" So off to Ulead Support :o Everywhere I looked & searched I could find no mention of the error number. Then in the forum area, I found several (many) people with same problem. But I could never be sure if the various answers worked for anyone. From the answers I then dl'd another Ulead patch and installed. No success. Same error today.

I then uninstalled the whole package. RE-installed and tried without the updates. Lo and behold, the error did not come up and I got a DVD out of the burner. Wow. Then I put it in the playroom DVD player and sure enough it plays. But, get this, it is NOT the current PTE show which was open during the Ulead maneuvers. I then did a new (even shorter) PTE show and left it open. Once again, the Ulead product was somehow picking up some other PTE file, probably from one or more of the earlier failed attempts!

Maybe some other PTE users can jump in here and pull us onto shore?

Robert,

I never bought anything from EBAY ... or for that fact anything directly online.

I do know there is a rise in WAREZ products flooding the marketplace.

These work and look (mostly) identical to the original MFG versions. However the cost is considerably cheaper ... plus they usually wont patch or upgrade. So installing a MFG patch or upgrade to WAREZ copies in most cases renders them useless or disfunctional in someway.

Also , alot of STUDENT EDITIONS are passed/sold around the marketplace ... one can find them much lower in price as compared to MFG full version ... but the MFG usually distribute these free/discounted to Students only. Most times these STUDENT VERSIONS are not upgradeable or patchable and some are not fully functional. A MFG usually clearly displays its a STUDENT VERSION .

I would dig deep into your program folder contents to satisfy the curiosty of what I actually have just bought. Hopefuly this is not your case.

* You may even try and email UNLEAD and verify that they have granted/licenced Tiger Direct to distribte their products

Thanks Stu for the thoughts. They triggered new thoughts on my end. My (today's) conclusion is that I was on a time-consuming wild-goose chase yesterday. I now think the problem is in Beta #6 vs Beta #5. I hope Igor can now determine what is different or what is causing the problem. I already posted the following in the pinned Beta #6 topic. (But I thought I better put it here too in case others are reading here and not suspecting it has to do with Beta #6.)

Igor, I think we have a problem in Beta #6 - .avi creation for Ulead Movie Factory.

I previously had good success with Movie Factory 2, Trial edition. Then when I bought Movie Factory 2 (full edition, registered) I found myself unable to succeed with PTE to DVD. After much frustration, I finally went back to PTE Beta #5 and all is now working. But it works only if I use Beta #5. If I use Beta #6, I can not ever get a DVD. Ulead stops with error: Failed to convert video file Error: 80041c21. As best I can learn from Ulead website & forum, this error can be from many things! I think the error occurs before the actual burn begins.

Today I have tested on two pc's. If I make a PTE show in Beta #5, Ulead Movie Factory 2 will produce a "perfect" picture DVD. If I use PTE Beta #6 - the Movie Factory 2 error stops it every time.

If you need any thing more from me to help you solve this, please let me know.

Robert,

Some other thoughts here.

Some programs wont work correctly if different versions also exist installed on the same OS ... esp burning programs. Usually sys dll version or shared file conflicts.

Have you tried a clean install of only using one version on your PC and uninstalling all others ?