WnSoft Forums

Audio track in 7.5

landsberger

Is the audio track feature a mono track or is it a stereo track? The waveform is not split (L & R). I have looked through the manual and can't find the answer.

I edit my audio in Abobe Audition which shows both left and right tracks, adding sound effects which are often mono it is relatively easy to position them i.e. left right or centre, I may use 6 or more tracks.

If the answer is in the manual and I have missed it please tell me where it is and accept my apologies for asking the question

Do you think there is any chance that a future version of PTE will accept flac format audio?

John

Hi John,

The audio track is a stereo track in PTE. The two waveforms are displayed top and bottom on the display. Mono tracks added through PTE play on both channels. Can't comment on the possibility of flac format audio..

Best regards,

Lin

Do you think there is any chance that a future version of PTE will accept flac format audio?

PTE does already accept flac encoded audio files (at least in 16 bits) provided that the flac audio is inside the ogg container. You may use a tool like XMedia Recode to change the container format to ogg (with option "audio copy", i.e. no change of audio data).

Regards,

Xaver

Lin & Xaver

Thanks for your help.

What it means is that I will continue to create the audio tracks in Audition and transfer the final mix to PTE. Didn't think of changing flac to ogg!

Thanks again

John

Didn't think of changing flac to ogg!

You're comparing apples and oranges. Flac is a loss-less audio codec, the one that you want to use. Ogg is just a container format (file format) for audio or video. See the section on codecs for ogg, here.

In many cases, inside the ogg container, people use audio that has been compressed with the codec "vorbis" (not loss-less, but may be better than MP3). So, if people talk about ogg audio files, they often mean "ogg vorbis". But you can place loss-less flac encoded audio inside the ogg container, as well. PTE can play flac in ogg :)

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Landsberger,

I have seen the same waveform issue as reported in your first post (which seems to have been overlooked in other peoples replies), that it looks mono or just showing one channel.

If you go into the Settings, Preferences, Timeline options you will see a "View of Waveform" section. Click the Mixed Channels option and the waveform will display L & R channels.

Keith

I have seen the same waveform issue as reported in your first post (which seems to have been overlooked in other peoples replies), that it looks mono or just showing one channel.

If you go into the Settings, Preferences, Timeline options you will see a "View of Waveform" section. Click the Mixed Channels option and the waveform will display L & R channels.

You may have a look at post No. 3. BTW The Mixed Channels option shows the mixed channels, hence only one wave :(

Regards,

Xaver

Xaver,

Timeline in the main window has limited screen space. We have to show files and mini-player above. Compact view or mixed view helps to see more details in waveform or have more visible tracks without vertical scrolling.

Do you know any audio file where separate view of channels can show important for synchronization details which can not be seen in mixed view?

I admit that sometimes it can occur, but most of the changes have a place in both channels.

Do you know any audio file where separate view of channels can show important for synchronization details which can not be seen in mixed view?

No, I do not know such an audio clip. Until now, I have never used the view with separated channels. My post no 8 from above only gives a correction of KSF's statement (post no 7).

Regards,

Xaver