WnSoft Forums

Changing Video Speed

kgoreilly

I don't see a feature for changing the playback speed of video in PTE. (let me know if it's staring me in the face)

I need slow motion video a lot, so I was thinking of using Adobe Premiere Pro to make the conversion.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

==============================

Greetings,

I have been wondering, too, how to do slow motion. I thought you have to shoot the video at 120 fps and then use a program to 'slow' it down. I have the GoPro CineForm Studio (which is free) that, I think, can do this. But I have not shot anything yet at 120 fps to try it out. If you have video at 120 fps, see if you can do the slow motion with the GoPro CineForm program.

Gary

If you shoot it at 120 and then put it into PTE it will play at 30.

At least that's what happens with my little Nikon and PTE - without any other software in between.

I am using 120 video in my current project.

Have you tried it?

DG

======================

Dave,

Hmmmm.... I just pulled out my GoPro Hero2 and shot about 30 seconds in 120fps. I dropped it into a PTE show but it does not play too well. It jumps from a frame to a frame and freezes for a few seconds at each jump. No slow motion, for sure. I ran it through the PTE Convert and it goes back to playing at the normal speed. What am I missing?

I attached info about the two video files. Do you see why it is not playing in slow-mo?

Gary

post-1794-0-08044700-1355781697_thumb.jp

If you shoot it at 120 and then put it into PTE it will play at 30.

At least that's what happens with my little Nikon and PTE - without any other software in between.

I am using 120 video in my current project.

Have you tried it?

DG

===================

Dave,

I just did another experiment. I converted the 120 fps video clip using the GoPro CineForm program to 29 fps. It plays in slow-mo in my media players. However, when I put it into a PTE show, I get the blue"Video not found" error. Also the file size jumps from 48 mbs to 515 mbs!

I also tried to run 120 fps video clip that was converted to 29 fps through the PTE Convert but it won't even show up or be accepted by the PTE Convert process.

Gary

Gary,

The Nikon shoots 120fps at 640x480.

Maybe that,s it?

Too late to do anything now - I will check in morning. However "it works for me" and I am using the video in a 1920 wide project at 640x480.

DG

==========================

Dave,

There must be something with what the CineForm produces. I have found that the Pot Player media player and the Windows Media Player will play the 120 fps clip in slow-mo, but the VLC media player will not play it. It says it will 'not support CFHD video format' (a Sony Vegas format).

Interesting.

I will see if my wife's little Nikon will shoot in 120 fps.

What is the Nikon model you have?

Gary

No, this is not my video, but film clips.

Is Premiere a good way to make the speed conversion? AVS seems a bit daunting.

===================

Kor1,

I don't have Premiere. I am just trying to find alternative ways to get 120 fps video clips into PTE. Maybe Dave will come up with something.

Gary

Gary,

In answer to the original question:

If you shoot at 60 or 120 (or even 240) in-camera then the resulting video is always 29fps (in my case). The resolution is reduced in each case (120fps = 640x480).

My Nikon S9100 outputs MOV/H.264 and I shot the file I am currently using in Black and White and 120 and 60fps versions.

The 60fps turned out to be the one I used but both played equally well when inputted into PTE without conversion.

I could upload a converted and cropped version to Dropbox for you if it will help.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

So, nobody has experience of using conversion software to change the speed of either their own video or film clips.

I have been using VideoSpirit Pro to do this, but need a better quality conversion if possible. This is why I was thinking of something like Premiere Pro.

You can run a trial version of Premier to see if it suits you.

Yachtsman1.

Gary,

In answer to the original question:

If you shoot at 60 or 120 (or even 240) in-camera then the resulting video is always 29fps (in my case). The resolution is reduced in each case (120fps = 640x480).

My Nikon S9100 outputs MOV/H.264 and I shot the file I am currently using in Black and White and 120 and 60fps versions.

The 60fps turned out to be the one I used but both played equally well when inputted into PTE without conversion.

I could upload a converted and cropped version to Dropbox for you if it will help.

DG

============================

Dave,

I think the problem I am having with the 120 fps clips that I create with my GoPro is that when I process it with the GoPro's CineForm, and reduce the fps to slow-mo, the codec is 'CFHD'. PTE is not accepting that format. I wonder if that is the problem and if Igor can, somehow, make it so that PTE accepts video with the CFHD codec. I've tried all kind of ways to get PTE to accept a video clip from GoPro shot at 120 fps but no luck.

I'd be interested to see what my MediaInfo program says about your slow-mo clip. Let me know how I can download it.

My wife's Nikon AW100, I've read, can shoot up to 240 fps, but I have not been able to get my hands on it, yet, to test it out. My Nikon D7000 will not shoot 120 fps.

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary,

Why do you need to process it?

Will it not go straight into PTE (perhaps with Converting it?).

You shoot it at 120 and the camera turns it into a 30fps slow motion file - it should not need processing.

What is the format of the unprocessed file?

Please see your PM?

DG

P.S. The AW100 will be (almost) idebtical to the S9100 in terms of what it produces.

Hi Gary,

Why do you need to process it? Will it not go straight into PTE (perhaps with Converting it?).

I have tried to put the GoPro clip, that was shot at 120 fps, directly into a PTE show. But it will not recognize the clip. I get the "Video not found" error message. I tried the PTE Convert on it but that did not help. So I tried to process it in CineForm to make it a 60 fps clip, but PTE does not like it either. Just trying anything I can think of.

You shoot it at 120 and the camera turns it into a 30fps slow motion file - it should not need processing.

I think it is the codec that might be causing the problem. PTE just does not like it? I tried to play the out-of-the-GoProcamera clip several ways: It only plays in slow-mo in my Freemake Converter program; it did not play in PotPlayer, VLC, Windows Media Player, or Quicktime. I then ran it through the CineForm conversion to process the 120 fps to 50 fps. It then would not play at all in my Freemake Converter, but it did play in slow-mo in PotPlayer, VLS, Windows Media Player and Quicktime. I have no idea what is going on.

All I am trying to do is to put a video clip from my GoPro camera, that was shot at 120 fps, directly into PTE, as you have done, without any converting or processing. But nothing is working.

What is the format of the unprocessed file?

I have attached a screenshot of the file format info of the original clip shot by the GoPro at 120 fps.

Please see your PM?

Yes. Thanks. I put your clip into one of my PTE shows and it plays just fine. :blink:/>

Gary

DG

P.S. The AW100 will be (almost) idebtical to the S9100 in terms of what it produces.

post-1794-0-16634400-1355856766_thumb.jp

Gary,

I had a similar problem with a file from an older Compact Camera.

I sent Igor a (short) sample and he fixed it in a day or so.

DG

=============================

Dave,

I will see if I can send Igor a clip. But I am really confused with these GoPro files. The original 120 fps file is 47.4 mb and is 29 seconds long. I trimmed the file down to a 50 fps,10 second clip, but the file reduced to only 45.8 mbs. Your 13 second clip was only 12 mbs.

If these short clips come out so large, I don't think I would ever be able to use them in PTE. I think I will send Igor a PM to see if he can figure it out. It would be nice to be able to add some GoPro slow-mo to some PTE shows. It is clear that I am doing something wrong and I don't have a handle on these type of files. I'll keep trying to figure it out, though.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

LATER: I sent Igor a PM with a link to a file on MediaFire.

Gary,

I can't speak for your camera but the S9100 operates as follows.

If you take a 10 second clip at 30fps the resulting file is just that.

The same 10 second clip at 60fps results in a 20 second file (at 30 fps).

The same 10 second clip at 120fps results in a 40 second file ( at 30fps).

The number of frames increases and is spread over a longer time hence the slo mo.

The S9100 compensates by decreasing the resolution with the increase in fps. Maybe the GoPro maintains the HD resolution thus resulting in higher file sizes???

Whatever frame setting you select in-camera the resulting file plays at 30fps.

DG

The ideal is Adobe Premiere + Twixtor plugin

Here

Sony Nex VG20 (50 Fps)

J'ai utilisé Première + Twixtor également pour les ralentis dans Fashion Show

http://www.objectif-photos.net/photos/mp4/fashion.htm

Thanks Aginum.

Twixor might be just what I was looking for. I'm using Windows too, so Davegee's suggestion wouldn't work.

It's intriguing really in terms of getting the best quality, but I wonder whether something very basic couldn't easily be implemented into PTE.

Thanks Aginum.

Twixor might be just what I was looking for. I'm using Windows too, so Davegee's suggestion wouldn't work.

Not really a suggestion - more of an observation. The GoPro aspect caught my eye and I thought about Gary.

There's always more ways..............

But I take your point about Mac vs PC.

DG

Not really a suggestion - more of an observation. The GoPro aspect caught my eye and I thought about Gary.

There's always more ways..............

But I take your point about Mac vs PC.

DG

=====================

Dave,

I have Windows so the Mac's programs won't help me. sad.gif/>

In a PM to me from Igor, he correctly pointed out that video directly from GoPro needs to be run through the PTE Converter to play, due to a problem with a 'videos that have a variable frame rate.'

But that works for 'normal' video from GoPro. But if a video clip was shot at 120 fps in GoPro, it freezes and is jerky when inserted into a PTE show. And if it is run through the PTE Converter, it then plays at 'normal' speed, not in slow-motion. So I don't know yet what to do with GoPro video shot at 120 fps and get it into PTE so that it actually plays in slow-mo. sad.gif/>sad.gif/>

Gary