WnSoft Forums

Distant Memories

colin hill

Hi all,

This is my 12th and last presentation on my visit to Perth.

For those members who have watched my series, I hope I have been able to give you some insight to this beautiful city and its surroundings.

This presentation is a mix of my best pictures taken during my 6 week stay and were taken mainly in and around Ellenbrook where we stayed and the Swan Valley.

Thank you to everyone who made the effort to watch and to comment, it is appreciated.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d974xphc8ew67qd

Colin

Colin

great show

Great, that's what people in North America use to say (to almost everything). But what does it mean? I have never understood.

A question referring to the show: Is it intention that the transition points and the rhythm of the music only seem to meet incidentally?

Regards,

Xaver

Great, that's what people in North America use to say (to almost everything). But what does it mean? I have never understood.

A question referring to the show: Is it intention that the transition points and the rhythm of the music only seem to meet incidentally?

Regards,

Xaver

Thank you for your great comment. Confused about "only seem to meet incidentally" There is nothing incidental about this.

... Confused about "only seem to meet incidentally" There is nothing incidental about this.

You may try to beat (or count) the time of your music. It often works well if you place the transition points at beat no 1 in the corresponding bars. In most cases, these positions can be seen in the waveform.

Regards,

Xaver

You may try to beat (or count) the time of your music. It often works well if you place the transition points at beat no 1 in the corresponding bars. In most cases, these positions can be seen in the waveform.

Regards,

Xaver

Thank you for the tip. I have been aware of transitions to music throughout my 12 presentations recently uploaded to the forum. My transitions may differ in length in any one particular presentation due to

the next slide to be shown or the tempo in the music at that particular point. I am aware that all may not be perfect, but as they say "practice makes perfect".

Your comment is appreciated as is any other in order for me to improve.

regards,

Colin

Your comment is appreciated as is any other in order for me to improve ...

Sorry for the fact that my comments sometimes have the tendency to look unfriendly. But you won't gain any improvement from comments of type "Great" (IMHO).

Regards,

Xaver

Sorry for the fact that my comments sometimes have the tendency to look unfriendly. But you won't gain any improvement from comments of type "Great" (IMHO).

Regards,

Xaver

True, but any comment is better than no comment and at least "great" will offer some encouragement to carry on.

Colin's show reminded me, in the nicest possible way, of the Camera Club Competition equivalent of the "record shot". When a judge makes that comment it is often to describe the difference between a beautiful coastal scene shot at 12 noon as opposed to being shot at sunset with a Lee Big Stopper and a graduated ND Filter.

I loved the fact that it shows us parts of the world that some of us are not now likely to visit and others can put in their "bucket list" of places to visit. I am also pleased that Colin chose to share his memories with us. The fact that there is no strict synchronicity between music and slides does not worry me in the slightest. The music is pleasant background music without much in the way of dynamics and I did not find the need to worry about the first beat of every bar of music. It's a tapestry over which Colin could concentrate on getting the best out of his images without having to be strict about timings.

I could be critical about the sometimes very contrasty images and blown skies but that is the way that Colin has chosen to present it and they are his memories and we must be grateful that he has chosen to share them with us. I suspect that Colin has returned from his journey with JPEGs rather than RAW images and this limits the amount of manipulation possible (please forgive me if I am wrong).

So, thanks Colin - a great show.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

IMO commenters should prove their credentials beforehand by posting their own shows, I have never seen any of Xavers work to compare what he considers to be acceptable.

Yachtsman1

Eric,

How can you forget the appropriately named,'Hazy Days' from Xaver. Some liked it and some thought it less than great.

August 2010.It has long since been removed from here,but I still keep it on Mediafire,just in case.

Davegee produced 2 shows that I remember. 1 which featured lots of zooming in and out of trees and another which featured lots of awkward candid people shots.

No idea if they are still here.Recycle bin material for me though,sorry.

Davy

from my archives --- note his last line -- guess he forgot -- not good for a professor to forget

btw

for those who want it i still have his piece at mediafire

contact me via my personal email addie

pbyk@sympatico.ca

ken

quote from xaver

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:29 AM It is (to some extent) informative to read the recent posts in the thread "Comments on slide shows" by ABD/deskjet1uk. My question is: Wouldn't it be more helpful to leave the meta-level (the discussion on the discussion of slide shows) and study practical examples instead?

I have uploaded my recent show (http://www.mediafire.com/?zhy2s9k3dc92clj) which may serve as an example. As Xaver does not really exist, there will no risk that someone will run into trouble with him, no matter what his/her comment may be.

IMO commenters should prove their credentials beforehand by posting their own shows, I have never seen any of Xavers work to compare what he considers to be acceptable.

Yachtsman1

This is not a good argument. Please consider comments independently.

You may just believe me that programming a sequence with synchronized rhythm and transitions provides some noticeable advantage (although there is no need to do that, do what you like to do!).

In a case when the music is rising you may show a post box and a badly illuminated agricultural tool with background showing a motorway and a large blown-out sky. Do it if you like to do so, I don't! But: Is it allowed to make this kind of comment, or is it not, or shall I just say "great"?

Regards,

Xaver

you put it up for all to see professor

ken

I do not want to argue on the question, if I am a professor, or not, and it would be nice if you would avoid it.

I think that it is clear to you that it isn't your job to distribute the work of Richard Goldsworthy and of mine. On the other hand: Why don't people ask me?

Regards,

Xaver