WnSoft Forums

No sound in MAC show [SOLVED]

Bert

Hi,
I have a project file that I have successfully published as an EXE show and an MP4 HD show. Both look good and I even put the EXE on Beechbrook, (Abandoned). A friend with a MAC asked me for the show in MAC format, and I have made an “executable file for mac” I have put that on an USB stick, but when he plays it, it has no sound. I have made a “zipped file for mac” and send that via dropbox, but again the show runs without sound. I than made a “zipped file for mac” from another show and send that to him, and that one has sound. So the problem is with making that particular show in an “executable file for mac” because the EXE and MP4 of that show are fine. There is nothing different in the project options of the project file, and the music files are MP3. I have windows 7, and 8GB of ram.
Here is the link to the “zipped file for mac” in my dropbox.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12297675/Abandoned%2016x10.app.zip

Can anybody figure out why there is no sound in the MAC file?
Igor if you see this, tell me the e-mail address were I can send you the link to the “project file” if you want to take a look at it.

Thanks,
Bert

Bert,

Are they all really MP3 format files? It is not unknown for people to give the wrong suffix to a file. One of them could be a PC-compatible format but not MP3. Do all the sound files have the same attributes? Are they all CBR or all VBR? Do they have the same bitrate? Do they all have exactly the same metadata fields completed? Does any of the metadata include non-alphanumeric characters? Check each files properties, in detail, to see if there are any obvious but inexplicable differences.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I took the music files from the internet and saved them as MP3 files. I don't see anywhere CBR or VBR in the files. The bitrate is 320 Kbps for one and 124Kbps for the other one. But they are on two different tracks and they are not combined. There is even a silence in between them. I could make an EXE and a MP4 from the project file with the sound, so it must be the "executable MAC file" that is the problem.

Regards,

Bert

Hi Bert,

Take the one with 320 kbps into Audacity and export it with the default, change the name and replace the one in your show with it. Export the MacIntosh native exe again as a zip file and I'll "bet" that it will all be fine...

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I agree that your suggestion is worth doing but, if it does solve the problem, it doesn't prove that the problem was the bitrate. Audacity does not write metadata unless you specifically ask it to. So a version exported from Audacity might work because the metadata has been eliminated.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

It may or may not have anything to do with bitrate - the important thing is for it to "work" and exporting unknowns from a known often solves myriad issues. The one with the higher bitrate is more likely the one which has been "tinkered" with the most - hence my suggestion to take it into Audacity and export it at defaults.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I will do that, but have to download Audacity first. Because both files don't play in the MAC, would I not do the same with the other MP3 also?

Regards,

Bert

Hi Bert,

Not necessarily, although when using mp3's of unknown background, I generally run mine through Audacity to normalize them just as a matter of practice. In the past we have a number of examples of cases where there was absolutely "no sound" which was caused by only "one" particular mp3 with an issue.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin and Peter,

Because I have Audacity open now, I will send both files thru Audacity. Can't hurt I think.

Have to find somebody with a MAC now to send the link to, who can see (hear) if this works.

Regards,

Bert

For a persons who has a Mac computer.

Please can you download this ZIP file and see if the show has sound with it.

20 sec. Factory sound. No sound by the images outside the factory. House music by images inside the factory.

Please let my know if this MAC show has sound.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12297675/Abandoned%2016x10%20New%20for%20MAC.zip

Regards,

Bert

Bert,

I have played your show on my new iMac and I have sound only from slide eight through to the end where it sounds as though it has reached conclusion just at the right moment.

Alan

• 9 months later...

I have the same problem, both with version 7.5 that 8. The versions exported to mac do not have audio.

I would like to understand why this strange situation and how to fix it.

The audio files are normal mp3 and everything works perfectly with the exe file for windows

thanks

Hi,

There are some issues with mp3 files which can cause problems with MacIntosh yet work normally with Windows. Without having a MacIntosh, I can't personally troubleshoot and pinpoint the problem, but the solution in the past has been to normalize all mp3's by running them through the same process on a sound editor. If you have Audacity, that will work as well as any MacIntosh compatible sound editor. Just import each of your mp3's and export them from the sound editor with the same bitrate for all. Then place the normalized mp3's into your show and export to MacIntosh and there is a very high probability that everything will work perfectly.

Best regards,

Lin

In PTE 8 when creating slideshows for a Mac you should enable the option to 'Convert tracks to MP3 for EXE'. I created 2 slideshows from the same project with the option enabled and disabled. They were different file sizes which leads me to believe that it's not encoding all audio files (or maybe just changing the bitrate). On the Mac you really should encode slideshows.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...