WnSoft Forums

DVDs with Nero Vision Express

Eric Athroll

Hi

I took delivery on my new PC a week or so ago and am amazed at the increase in speed over my previous PC. I now have a Pentium IV 3.0Ghz Dual Prcoessor with 1 Gb DDR RAM and a Sony DVD-RW, and it just flies.

I have been testing two sequences - a 14 minute sequence of 140 slides with music and another with 40 slides plus music. The slides in the first sequence were sized at 768 pxls x 432 pxls saved as jpegs with medium compression, the second set 1024 pxls x 576 pxls.

Previously it took over 2½ hours to encode the 14 minute avi to SCVD and now it did a full DVD in 16:9 format comprising both the 6½ minute show and the 14 minute one plus a title screen in just over an hour. The difference in image size did not faze either PTE or Nero. The quality on my 28" widescreen 100 Hz TV is excellent and looks slighter better than on previously made SVCDs.

In light of my increase in performance and the quality of Nero Vision Express encoding/burning I shall not need TMPGEnc, et al !!!!

The PTE Beta #7 performed admirably. :D

• 2 months later...

Hi Eric, very encouraging. PTE works wonderfully on PC and I have the same setup as you, but although Nero burns and verifies OK, CDs won't play in my Panasonic DVD recorder. Everything else does!

Possibly the jpeg file sizes are a problem for the reader (50 files = 67mb and some are over 2mb)?

Are there any special settings for Nero before burning the AVI which could make it more acceptable?

Regards

Ian (Southborough)

Hi Ian

I make a duplicate of all my slides for the PTE show, size them to 1024 pxls x 576 pxls, convert the colour space to sRGB and save them as jpeg files at 50% compression. I convert my music files to MP3. I set Nero Vision Express to PAL, 16:9 format, Standard Play and 2-pass quality. (I have also used files of 768 pxls x 432 pxls with no discernable difference on the TV Screen).

I play these on a Panasonic S35 DVD Player. With the TV and the DVD Player set to 16:9 format, I get a picture that leaves a large black border around the image, which I prefer. I can fill the TV Screen by setting the TV to one of the Zoom functions but this then cuts off some of the image.

I am now making DVDs rather than SVCDs using Nero Vision Express using the same files and with the same results, except that I think the TV picture is of slightly better quality.

As all of my efforts so far have been making old family history sequences, I do not expect brilliant quality from slides that are 25 - 40 years old, but they are remakably good after some reworking in my Scanner software and Photoshop.

I hope this will be of some help.

Eric

Hi Ian

Yes, it is the PTE avi file that is used to import into Nero Vision Express for encoding and burning to CD or DVD.

I was merely giving a run down of my working procedures. Because the files used in PTE need to be compressed jpeg files, it is usually a good idea to keep the originals untouched at least until the slide show has been confirmed as OK. If then you wish to do any modifications to one or more of the images you can start with the original. You no doubt know that jpegs deteriorate in quality every time you do something to them (other than open and close).

I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs as they say!

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eric,

Your PC sounds like a clone of my new PC!

Despite flying also, I have had some problems with burning using Nero - everything seems to work just fine during the burn, (SVCD), but when I come to play either in the 'puter's player or the one hooked up to my TV - I just cannot get the thing to play.

The DVD player says 'NO PLAY', although the start up screen is there.

Am converting MPEG1 files too with little success. Just bobbing along clicking the buttons when asked. I am correct in thinking that it is ok to burn to a normal CD with the SVCD option? And that this should be the best to play on most players without a problem?

This is all new to me so forgive my ignorance - am on a learning curve!!

Any pointers, gratefully received!!

J :) G

Hi JG

I have never had any problem burning either SVCDs or DVDs with Nero (I have Nero 6 Suite) using Vision Express. To date, I have made SVCDs on CD-R but haven't burned a DVD-R; just tests on DVD-RW until I have enough sequences completed to fill a DVD.

They will play on my PC (using WMP, Nero Show Time or PowerDVD) but in all cases the image quality is not good.

I presume your DVD Player does play the SVCD and DVD formats you are burning? I believe some players won't handle some formats; my Panasonic S35 handles most, but not DVD+RW.

My new PC actually had to be returned due to some inbuilt errors (poor workmanship) and I have now got another from a different supplier but of the same specification.

I hope you resolve your difficulties.

Eric

Hi Eric

My PC has just been returned to me - the Pioneer 106D burner inside my video editing system was faulty. Now tested fine, but like JG I cannot play CD-Rs or DVD-Rs in my DVD recorder or other players, all with the same format. I have used the PTE file - when Nero can find it - and in both Nero Express (is this the same as your Vision Express?) and in Nero-Burning ROM it states burn verified and successful. Will STILL only play on PC with Power DV.

I have tried all the different burning settings I can find, but remain frustrated.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian

Firstly, if your DVD Player (the TV connected one) states that it can play VCDs/SVCDs and DVD- or DVD+ then it should play PTE sequences burned on CDR and DVDR.

Secondly, I have checked my Nero 6 Suite and it appears that Nero Express will burn VCDs/SVCDs but needs Nero Vision Express to author and burn a DVD. If I open Nero Express and try to use it to produce a DVD a message appears stating that I need to use a DVD authoring tool such as Nero Vision. I assume that your DVD Burner will handle CD-R/RW and a selection of DVD- or + R/RW and that it came with some software to author avi files? I have just bought a new PC with an LG MUlti-format burner and it came with neoDVD - I paid to have my Nero 5 upgraded to 6 some time ago.

Finally, I do not understand your remark "when Nero can find it"! When you create the avi file in PTE, save it with a name (I save to the desktop because the avi is just temporary) and then drag and drop it onto the Nero (Vision) Express window.

I hope you can sort it out because the process with PTE and Nero is so easy and the results are very good.

Eric

Hi Ian

Just a thought. You say it will burn a disc with Nero Burning ROM - that doesn't sound right because that part of Nero doesn't have any DVD authoring facility. Are you sure you aren't trying to either burn the .exe picture show file or making a Nero slide show? Neither of these choices will produce a CD/DVD that will play on a DVD player to my knowledge.

Eric