WnSoft Forums

Moving Whole Show Onto External Drive

Photofanatic

Hello Everyone

I am trying to move a show onto an external network drive. I have been careful to make sure all the show's images and music etc were contained within a single folder along with the .pte show.

When I try to open it from withing PTE 7.5.8 - it comes up with a message that the show does not exist.

I can still open it from the original location (in spite of fact that it was created in an earlier version of PTE)

Do I have to manually re-route the path to make it recognise the new location - if so - how do I do this - is there a quick way and what about all the photos witihin the show?

Thanks

Joy

Guest Yachtsman1

I just copied my folder for my Aladdin's Kampro Lamps to one of my separate hard drives. It was 4.6GB & took around 45 minutes through a USB2 connection. I left the original on my D drive, on my PC where the show was made. I have no trouble opening any of the 14 exe's in the folder. Did you copy or move? Could be something to do with that. If you are trying to open it from the Humming Bird icon, you need the PTE software on the drive.

Yachtsman1.

Hi Dave

Thanks for your advice.

I haven't done that before - does that mean I have to open every show I am trying to move and do this? (I am transferring a lot of data to free up space_)

Once I have done this can I delete it from the original position on the harddrive?

Finally - what is the difference between the 2 methods you suggest?

Thanks

JOy

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Yachtsman

Thanks for the reply - it is the pte version I was trying to open - not the .exe one - I have made sure all associated photos and music are in one folder which was also moved.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Joy

IMO it won't open from the humming bird without the software on your HD, whether this is contained within the other suggestions I'm not sure :unsure: .

Yachtsman1.

Hello Again

I am not trying to open it from the hummingbird - I have opened PTE 7.5.8 then tried to access the show which I have moved using the File>Open method and navigating to the .pte show.

Sorry - I think you have misunderstood what I am trying to do.

Joy

Guest Yachtsman1

Hello Again

I am not trying to open it from the hummingbird - I have opened PTE 7.5.8 then tried to access the show which I have moved using the File>Open method and navigating to the .pte show.

Sorry - I think you have misunderstood what I am trying to do.

Joy

Joy

Yes you are correct, I don't really understand your problem, A because I don't open PTE files as you do (file/open) & B I have never had the problem you describe. So in an effort to simulate what you are experiencing I have used your method to A. access my separate hard drive, then B navigate to the show I saved on there yesterday. Initially I started off by double clicking the PTE7.07 icon shortcut on my desktop, then I used the file open from the top navigation bar until I found the saved folder on my separate Freecom HD. This is a 1TB drive with almost 500GB of saved work, the second 1TB drive I have used, the first I put to one side as I estimated I could get problems if I tried to squeeze any more into it. I found my saved Aladdin show useing right click open as the file open wasn't there on the top bar. All worked perfectly all the elements of the folders are there. The only difference I can see from your brief explanation of your problem is you are using a different version of PTE, but that shouldn't make any difference. Maybe my screen shots will help???

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-89404800-1376208417_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-40332600-1376208439_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-99956500-1376208457_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-17473200-1376208476_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-07355000-1376208496_thumb.jp

I think that we should have a look at the way PTE normally behaves in situations like the one described here. I just made a simple test with v.7.5.10. The result was as I have known since ever:

• I opened PTE and inserted an image and an audio clip, both in a common folder on my HD.
  • I saved the project (pte-file) somewhere on my HD.
  • I moved the pte-file into a folder on some external memory.
  • I opened the project from the external location: Everything is OK. My status bar tell me that PTE uses the media from their original location.
  • I changed a folder name along the path to the folder containing the image and the audio clip: PTE now complains not to find the media
  • I copied the image and the clip to the folder on the external memory containing the pte-file: Everything is OK. PTE now uses the copied media from the external memory.
  • I close the pte-file without saving it, and I fix the path to the original media: If I re-open the project on the external memory, PTE again uses the original media on my HD, not the ones on the external memory.

The last observation is sometimes a bit awkward. If you copy a complete project folder (project file plus media) somewhere else, you have to outsmart PTE not to use the original media but the local ones in the copied folder.

Regards,

Xaver

IMO it won't open from the humming bird without the software on your HD, whether this is contained within the other suggestions I'm not sure :unsure:/> .

Yachtsman1.

If the two drives are on the same computer system then the location of the PTE codee is irrelevant. PTE executes on the computer and reads its data from the hard drive. Version 7.5 of PTE supports multiple drives on the one computer.

regards,

Peter

Joy,

Let me check that I have understood what you have done and what you are now seeing...

You have carefully ensured that you have placed all the image files and all the sound files for sequence A into one folder (Folder-Seq-A on drive X:). You can open the PTE project from this folder and can make changes to it, Preview it, Publish it, etc.

You then have moved (copied - which? it is important) the folder and all its contents to a different drive (Y:) that is connected to the same computer.

Now, when you launch PTE, do File > Open, navigate to Folder-Seq-A on drive Y: and click Open, you get an error message from PTE saying that the project file is missing.

Have I got that right?

regards,

Peter

Joy,

You haven't stated whether you moved or simply copied the folder to its new location. Which is it?

Do you have Settings > Preferences > Project > Project file > Load last project on start up selected (i.e. ticked). If you do, and if you moved the folder, then PTE is trying to find the project file where it used to be - and it isn't there any more.

If you are using the history of previously opened files to open a project that you have moved, that project also will no longer be where it was last found by PTE - and, I guess, you will get some sort of error.

Please remember that we cannot see your monitor. You need to give us precise and comprehensive information: exactly what did you click on? exactly what did you key in? and into which field?, and most important of all, exactly what is the text of any error message (all of it from the first character to the last, complete with details of what button options you have at that point)?

regards,

Peter