WnSoft Forums

copyrights

brenwestfall

Hello Bren

(Whilst the others guys have mentioned that you can get royalty free music off the net by searching through Google etc, I don't think that this was your problem - you are trying to trace whether a specific piece of music is royalty free???? Is this right???)

It depends upon what the music your client has provided.........unless he can produce a royalty free licence, I would guess that it is not royalty free and it is covered by copyright. When I purchase royalty free music off the net, the retailer always forwards to me a licence, whether it be by post or electronically, with all my address details on it.

The other way to establish whether it is royalty free is to do a search on the composer or the production company on the net and their website may give you a clue..........assuming you know the composer/production company/orchestra/band etc or even the name of the piece........if it's classical music then if the composer has been dead over 50 years then it's public domain although the orchestra still has copyright over that production of that piece of music!

What does your client want you to use it for? i.e. one presentation for internal use or for major distribution around the area/country etc?

Happy hunting............ :)

DS

According to the legal department of BMI and ASCAP you may use copyrighted music and sell a slide show to your client as long as your client brings in the music on a commercial CD which they personally own.

You are selling the creation of the show itself, not the music. The music is for their own personal use and therefore can be copied, even by you to be put into their show.

No licensing fee is required for this type of use.

Again, the customer must own the original CD and you must copy it from that CD to make it all legal.

Where you fall into trouble is if you use YOUR music or downloaded music to sell or present the show, in public or even in your studio. Sending out samples of your work with copyrighted music is illegal.

true in the USA. Not sure of other countries.

ROYALTY FREE MUSIC AND GOOD STUFF TOO

I can point anyone who is interested to the web page below where royalty free music is available on CD.

http://www.barrybeckham.co.uk/music/music.htm

For around £20 you get a royalty free CD with some super music on it and there are 3 volumes and a 4th in the making.

bbdigital

• 12 years later...