As long as its wav, you can chop off

the silence at the end with the

windows audio recorder.

If its mp3, first transform it to wav,

do the above, and then convert it

back to mp3.

Another possibility: If your last slide has

a long transition effect, it might be added at the end,

where you don't want to have it anymore.

I received this (about "To Marie")where from my question :

"in any purposes useful I inform you however, that the end of the slide show,

on my PC at least, contrary to your precedents, arises a bit before fine natural of the music,

and that this one results from it abruptly cut"

On my PC it runs OK ! (one MP3,customize synchronization, close show after last slide)

I experienced the abrupt cut off at the end and a slight flicker between the changes. I suggest insertion of a few secs of silence at the end of the music and a black slide so that there can be a gentle fade out. As regards the flicker that presumably is down to my own hardware.

But the photography, absolutely great.

Ron [uK]

I am sure on a thing: the more the processor is fast, the more the effects are smooth.

I think as well as the video card has its importance.

Tested on a celeron 900, I see also has slight flicker between the exchanges.

Thanks to Ronwill for his good idea

I'm using a Hewlett Packard Omnibook with a Celeron CPU (Pentium 2) 266 MHz, 256 MB RAM.

My experience with all transitions in any presentation:

When a transition comes along, the music gets jerky and/or there's a slight flicker in the transition, but I see the reason for that in my four year "old" slow CPU and don't blame it on PTE.

My current system is Pentiium 4, 1.4GHz, 128 Mb Ram, 20 GB HD, Graphics 32MB MSl GeForce2 MX AGP VGA Card, Sound Creative Soundblaster PCl 128 and Windows ME.

Ron [uK]

According to what I could test and see, it seems that the problems of this kind appear when the RAM is insufficient compared to the system;

256 mb is better with ME and 512 with XP

Ron, I know your current system: very good but I think:

128 mb is smaller

The slide show is loaded in memory.

Boxig: can you test that ?

Thanks

Thanks for your comments Michel on RAM. I have tried "To Marie" on my Royale Projection System - 512 Mb RAM, Pentium III 866 MHz, Windows ME OS. The transitions were as smooth as silk!!! On my 6 foot (1800mm) screen the images were stunning, so much so that I would have preferred to have had them on the screen just that little bit longer. It takes that much longer taking in a picture on a big screen than on a computer monitor. My normal aim is to average 8 to 10 seconds for transition plus screen time, with the transition taking up about 3 to 4 seconds. However I cannot express once again how much I appreciated your sequence. It was great.

Ron [uK]

Michel,

I downloaded Maria. Beautiful images, very nice timing.

On my computer, the image transitions run smoothly, yet, whenever a transition starts (which happens every two seconds or so), the music gets jerky, which I blame on my slow Pentium 2 Celeron (266 MHZ) in my Notebook.

At the end, the presentation finishes with the music not being finished yet. So the music is being chopped off by the exit of the PTE presentation. Therefore, I suggest adding some silence to the mp3 music track at the end.

I had to do the same thing with all the midi files in my Jukebox and all the mp3 sound effects.

Michel, I've checked "To Marie" on some different machines, an on all the music ends at the end (!) on the last chord (a piano in diminuendo), with a little effect of cut. On slower machines the transitions are obviously a little flickering, but the synchronization is always perfectly identical.

Here are the machines where I tried it:

- Pentium 2 266 with 64MB Ram, PCI video card, Win ME

- Pentium 2 450 with 384 Ram, AGP Intel 740 video Card (8MB), Win 2000

- Pentium 3 900 with 128 Ram, AGP 32MB video card, Win ME.

As to your question, the problem doesn't seem so difficult. You have a 4'54" ( = 294 sec) music and 54 pictures. 294/54 = 5.(4) sec each picture. If you want to be sure your show runs smoothly, you must keep transition time at least one second shorter than the slide duration, and so 5.44 - 1 = about 4.44 seconds, not more.

I've just made a test in the worst condition: 217 pictures of various size from 40 to 400 KB, and some from 1 to 4 MB, synchronized with two WAV files (50 + 60 MB), a total of 175.2 MB. Auto sync gave 6.05 sec average interval, and I set transitions (lap dissolve, or fade if you prefer) at 5 sec.

Well, on my P II 450 (384 MB Ram, 8 MB video card, Win 2000) all ran well, besides with three pictures > 2 MB, that "jumped" without fading to the next one.

By the way, this is perfectly logical, because pictures are loaded in cache one at a time, and to load a picture of 3-4 MB takes a while...

Thank you sincerely my friend !

Just a precision:

"On slower machines the transitions are obviously a little flickering"

But, I wish know as well as possible the basic configuration to view perfectly a slide show,

with very good smooth transitions.

(for me, P2 450 with 256 ram is a minimum)

With your opinion ?

(It is necessary to specify that for my website or even for wnsoft... )

[U]in any purposes useful I inform you however, that the end of the slide show,on my PC at least, contrary to your precedents, arises a bit before fine natural of the music,and that this one results from it abruptly cut"

I sent this message to Michel because I never experienced this kind of problem about his previous shows: music , at the end, is suddenly cut, stopping the fading; I think are missing about 2 sec. fading music.

My PC is a Pentium III 128 Mo Ram, working under Windows 98 S.E.

I checked twice before sending the message to Michel. I checked once yesterday evening (computer had 53% free resources); once more this morning (63% free resources): problem is still there.

But I’ve problems with my shows too !

Bonjour, Michel,

I just loaded and watched your show - quelles images belles! But then I am biased because I love winter. Looks like you have some great opportunities for backcountry alpine touring! I envy you!

Now on to technicalities. I agree with the others that the dissolves are a bit too fast, especially for the choice of music. I would have liked to have longer to look at the images, and have them dissolve more slowly into each other. As nice as they are, you could easily leave out some of the images.

Secondly, the music does definitely cut off about 2 sec too soon at the end. I got the impression you were rushing things to get in all of the images. Just my impression from watching the show. :blink:

Thirdly, there is a slight bit of flicker. You could completely eliminate this by going to 3 or 4-second dissolves, and of course, fewer images. I use nothing shorter than 2-second dissolves if I want minimum flicker.

I am using a Celeron III (400 MHz) processor, with over 7 Mb Ram, many Mb of free disk space, and a 3dfx Voodoo 3000 video card (16 or 32 mb VRAM?).

I haven't tried your show on my laptop yet, A Dell "Inspiron 8000", which uses a PIII (700 MHz) processor, 256 Mb Ram, ATI video card with 32 Mb VRAM, but the shows usually have less flicker on it than on the desktop.

Keep up the good work - I look forward to seeing more of your shows.

Au revoir,

Al

"in any purposes useful I inform you however, that the end of the slide show,on my PC at least, contrary to your precedents, arises a bit before fine natural of the music,and that this one results from it abruptly cut"

I sent this message to Michel because I never experienced this kind of problem (on my computer) with his previous shows: at the end , music is suddenly cut stopping fading. I think that are missing about 2 sec.music.

My computer is a Pentium III - 128 Mo Ram – 500 MHZ – running under Windows 98 SE.

I’ve to say that I’ve problems with my shows too.

Following your ideas, I made some modifications which should improve the things.

I deleted some photos and adjusted better the fade effect (4000ms to 3000ms)

with a silence = 1 s, at the beginning and at the end.

Now, one can benefit from each photograph a little longer.

You can download (I hope that you have ADSL or DSL) Marie 2 here (16,5 mb):

http://www.fanaphot.com/Maria2.zip

ps: 256 mb is better for the slide show, I think...

Michel,

As I said before, "Quelles belles images!" :blink:

The new show is better. But, IMHO, still not the best you can do.

I have a real "thing" about slide shows being synchronized to the music. Not automatically synchronized, but using the timeline to bring on a new image at the same time as there is a significant beat in the music (usually every 4 beats or every 8 beats, if the music is in 4/4 time, or whenever the music starts to experience a crescendo, if the music is rather abstract, or when there is a loud drumroll, etc.) Give it a try with the first few images in your excellent show, and you will see what I mean.

Of course, this will result in even fewer images in the show, but it will flow even more smoothly, and allow you to choose only the best images, thus improving the show even more. (je voudrais ce ecrire en francais, mais mon francais, comme vous pouvez voir, n'est pas tres bon! :)

Merci encore pour une presentation tres belle!! And, by the way, your English is much better than my French!!

Ciao,

Al