WnSoft Forums

New Desktop System Question...

Lin Evans

Guest Yachtsman1

I bought a 30 inch 2560 x 1600 CTL 3001 Ultra 30 display and it took a while and a call to ASUS to be certain that the GPU was a separate card rather than integrated into the motherboard. I was uncertain from the description whether or not the GPU had the necessary dual link DVI port, but after finally finding a closeup image of the back apron of the system on the ASUS website I discovered that it is indeed a separate nVidia card and that it has a dual link DVI port so it should be satisfactory.

Lin The PCS web site has links to all the components listed in their construction wizard. With regard to the 760 installed in my machine, I have noticed the off line text on a couple of programmes such as OOO & Audacity is not as crisp as with my previous machine, I assume it's something to do with 3d or gaming requirements. There is a separate graphics card on the mother board on my set up, but requires a separate lead from the HDMI socket through a hub to switch between the two cards.

I think I will try to keep this one disconnected from the web to minimize the probability of any malware getting on it and just dedicate it to PTE and processing photos.

I think we would all like to do that, especially after my last brush with malware, but IMO with constant up-dates from all in sundry sources, it would be practically impossible.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

What are the two video cards? Are they the same or could it be that you are using an integrated graphics rather than the more powerful 760 (assuming it's an nVidia GTX 760.) If so, you definitely want to disable the integrated graphics and use the GTX 760 instead. Unless you have two physical GPU cards installed, the probability is that you have a motherboard which included an Intel integrated graphics chip with shared resources and an nVIdia card has been added. I suspect this could account for the issue you are seeing with text.

Lin The PCS web site has links to all the components listed in their construction wizard. With regard to the 760 installed in my machine, I have noticed the off line text on a couple of programmes such as OOO & Audacity is not as crisp as with my previous machine, I assume it's something to do with 3d or gaming requirements. There is a separate graphics card on the mother board on my set up, but requires a separate lead from the HDMI socket through a hub to switch between the two cards.

I think we would all like to do that, especially after my last brush with malware, but IMO with constant up-dates from all in sundry sources, it would be practically impossible.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Once the system is working properly, I see no reason to update on line. I can just download update data on another system and port it to the new one with a USB flash drive. In my experience, the majority of updates are Windows security updates and if the system is not on-line these are mostly superfluous. The few other updates such as Flash or such can easily be ported from another system without risking on-line exposure. I managed to keep my present development system off-line for over two years. Had my backup system not failed, I actually would never have put it on-line

Best Regards,

Lin

Lin,

My MUSIC PC is probably 8-10 years old - going strong and has NEVER had its Windows XP Media Centre Edition OS updated.

It has always been off-line.

NX2 required that Frame Thingy be updated once or twice when it was being used for Imaging, but that was easy using a USB device as was updating NX2.

If required, I could go back to it at any time for Imaging and it has the latest versions necessary for NX2 (and my D600) and PTE.

I always figured that if it was running smoothly when it arrived at my workstation and I didn't abuse it by constantly updating it why fix what wasn't broken?

I always used MACRIUM REFLECT to make backup images of C Drive but never had to use them. I always used PERFECT DISC to keep it defragged and running smoothly.

It will be interesting to see how long it goes on for.

Go with it,

DG

Hi Dave,

That's always been my attitude. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I fully understand internet security updates, but if the system isn't exposed to the internet, they have no relevance. As long as everything is working to my satisfaction, I see no reason to expose the anticipated new system to potential malware of any kind.

It was very nice for the two years I managed to keep my present development system off-line. No worries about even needing anti-virus/ anti-threat software and the numerous issues that these programs sometimes cause.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

What are the two video cards? Are they the same or could it be that you are using an integrated graphics rather than the more powerful 760 (assuming it's an nVidia GTX 760.) If so, you definitely want to disable the integrated graphics and use the GTX 760 instead. Unless you have two physical GPU cards installed, the probability is that you have a motherboard which included an Intel integrated graphics chip with shared resources and an nVIdia card has been added. I suspect this could account for the issue you are seeing with text.

Hi Lin, The Asus motherboard with its own graphics card, has its own HDMI socket, as does the 760, the monitor is connected to the 760 HDMI socket, which is why I think the 760 might not like run of the mill stuff such as those mentioned., If you remember when I got my last LT it wasn't until I queried the poor performance with PTE shows that I found that I had to tell it which card to use, which has caught out a few others, in this instance I'm assuming the Asus graphics card is for run of the mill stuff but isn't being used, I've attached a couple of screen shots to demonstrate what I mean. The PTE projected pictures are fine on the monitor, & colour is not an issue.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-18636200-1386089056_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-79767500-1386089253_thumb.jp