WnSoft Forums

Questions on License Keys

trailertrash

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Right, it's 04.09 a.m. and I've been at this for over 2 1/2 hours and I've read all the above and I am still baffled.

I have been running 7.5 successfully and have just installed 8.0.1

In 7.5 the activation window (as per Igor's post of 7/12/13 5.03 p.m.) is as per post-2684-0-32723600-1390018000_thumb.jp in which I have the option "Load key from file" and as I have the Reg.txt file that was sent to me on Fri 30/12/2005 04:27 when I first purchased P2E I had no problem activating 7.5

Now I try to activate 8.0.1 and I get the activation window as per the top post-2684-0-09360100-1390017992_thumb.jp and when I hit "Load a Key" I get the middle window with "Activate" and NO "Load key from file" so I open Reg.txt and copy and paste the whole contents into the box and hit "Activate" and I then get the lower message "The licence key for this product is incorrect or damaged" so I go back to Reg.txt and copy and paste the bit which looks like the key without including the REGEDIT4 bla bla bla and still the same rejection "The licence key for this product is incorrect or damaged".

Next I go the the forum and find this thread and having read all of it I go back to 7.5 and hit "Help" "Check for Updates" and I get the message post-2684-0-48407800-1390017982_thumb.jp

Question: Igor, where do I go from here as all I have ever got from Support is Reg.txt and no other activation code.

And by the way. I had trouble inserting the files / images. Checked the forum for this problem and got the solution "use Full Editor" but the "Chose File" option would NOT open Explorer to allow me to go to the folder the attachment images were in. In despair I started all over again in Chrome instead of Firefox and the "Chose File" option worked as it should. Possibly another thing for you to fix, Igor.

Thanks in anticipation.

JagJag, if you read carefully the announcement on this page, and in particular the paragraph 'Upgrades', you'll see that you have to buy the upgrade from any previous version to new v 8 (quote: "The upgrade price from all previous versions 1.0 -7.5 to the new Deluxe 8 is only $34.").

To buy the upgrade to v 8, go to this page and at the bottom, choose the original PTE version number you bought (not the successive upgrades, but the very first PTE edition you bought) - since you say that you bought it in 2005, I very much think that it's a version prior to 7.0, but only you can know. Then, after having clicked on the appropriate link a new page will open and it's in the box provided on that page that you'll enter your previous version license key.

This is the way to receive the new v 8 license key at the special discounted price of $34 (or the equivalent in your currency).

I hope that it's clear.

Jag-Jag is right. When you get a free lifetime upgrade it isn't fair to stop this like WNsoft do and then ask for understanding. Personally I think $34 for an upgrade, which was promised to be free, very expensive (especially if you have PTE 5.0-6.5).

I understand that WNsoft can't continue to give lifetime upgrades, but they should have thought about this before. I expect a better proposal than the $34 for the upgrade.

... I understand that WNsoft can't continue to give lifetime upgrades, but they should have thought about this before ...

Hi fotograaf (are you from the Netherlands?),

You are right when saying that WnSoft can't continue to give lifetime updates. In times of market saturation, the company would not be able to survive, if development would go on while most improvements would be given to the majority of customers for free. As a consequence we all would loose our beloved slideshow tool.

Of course, it would have been better if WnSoft had never made this promise. But you should keep in mind that this promise is about 14 years old, made at a time when the company's founder still was a teenager. Try to see the situation from another perspective: PicturesToExe is a very fine product, and even the present conditions still are very good, and they are favorable compared to the competition. :rolleyes:

Regards

jt

Hi JT49,

Yes I am from the Netherlands.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the situation and I agree that Wnsoft can’t continue this way. But Wnsoft should ask themselves what's fair in this case. I think you can only ask money for an upgrade when this is a new program (this means a lot of new functions / improvements / etc). In my opinion when you upgrade from PTE 1-4 to PTE 8 then you can say there is a new program. But when you upgrade from PTE 5-7 it is not a new program but just an update. Asking $34 for an update is very expensive (and should be free or at least much cheaper). Wnsoft should also understand that those who have PTE 6.5-7 only had 1 or 2 upgrades (lifetime was promised!). And yes it is a great program, but this is not the way it should be.

... Don’t get me wrong, I understand the situation and I agree that Wnsoft can’t continue this way.... And yes it is a great program, but this is not the way it should be.

Sorry fotograaf, this sounds a bit like a contradiction. You cannot say on one hand that you understand the situation, while on the other hand you still want the new versions for free. :)

... But Wnsoft should ask themselves what's fair in this case. I think you can only ask money for an upgrade when this is a new program (this means a lot of new functions / improvements / etc). In my opinion when you upgrade from PTE 1-4 to PTE 8 then you can say there is a new program. But when you upgrade from PTE 5-7 it is not a new program but just an update. Asking $34 for an update is very expensive (and should be free or at least much cheaper) ...

I have been using PTE since 2007, and it is easy to verify that each new version has offered a lot of new functions and improvements. We must not argue on the wording (upgrade or update). PTE's competitor from the US only talks about upgrades, and you have to pay for them every year. Oh, there is a difference: The prices are about 2.5 times higher :angry:

Regards

jt

Jag-Jag is right. When you get a free lifetime upgrade it isn't fair to stop this like WNsoft do and then ask for understanding. Personally I think $34 for an upgrade, which was promised to be free, very expensive (especially if you have PTE 5.0-6.5).

I understand that WNsoft can't continue to give lifetime upgrades, but they should have thought about this before. I expect a better proposal than the $34 for the upgrade.

I guess you don't buy many programs then. Most program upgrades have a cost, like Adobe programs - Photoshop, Lightroom, Elements all have upgrade charges, as do DxO Optics and Viewpoint, Microsoft's Office, and others. The only programs I can think of that are free are browsers and mail clients like FireFox, Thunderbird, Chrome, Opera, Safari, and Google etc., and that is because they carry advertising that pays for the free programs (and annoys the heck out of users).

Wnsoft and PTE do not and will not carry advertising, and have no other way of generating an income stream.

So I consider your complaint about a small $34 upgrade cost is out of order. Please rethink your position.

Guest Yachtsman1

I guess you don't buy many programs then. Most program upgrades have a cost, like Adobe programs - Photoshop, Lightroom, Elements all have upgrade charges, as do DxO Optics and Viewpoint, Microsoft's Office, and others. The only programs I can think of that are free are browsers and mail clients like FireFox, Thunderbird, Chrome, Opera, Safari, and Google etc., and that is because they carry advertising that pays for the free programs (and annoys the heck out of users).

Wnsoft and PTE do not and will not carry advertising, and have no other way of generating an income stream.

So I consider your complaint about a small $34 upgrade cost is out of order. Please rethink your position.

Sorry Colin but we must beg to differ, there are many software programmes out there that continually provide free up-grades, I don't intend to run through them but I can think of six that I use that have free up-grades. However, I have no qualms about paying for the latest version of PTE, times change as do circumstances. I use the programme every day & wouldn't like to be without it. So long as paid up-grades don't come along too often, I will continue to use it.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. ;)/>

Sorry Colin but we must beg to differ, there are many software programmes out there that continually provide free up-grades, I don't intend to run through them but I can think of six that I use that have free up-grades. However, I have no qualms about paying for the latest version of PTE, times change as do circumstances. I use the programme every day & wouldn't like to be without it. So long as paid up-grades don't come along too often, I will continue to use it.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. ;)/>/>

That's fine Eric, I did say 'most' though, and I do have programs with free upgrades like Goldwave, but that doesn't invalidate the fact that most programs do charge for upgrades. The program purveyors like all of us have to make a living. I guess what I do not like is the assumption or expectation that programs should be free for ever, and then complaining when they aren't.

Regards,

Colin

• 2 years later...

Igor

I have sent several emails to WnSoft to ask for my license key since May but so far have not recieved any reply's WHY. This is the only information i have on file.

<...removed by WnSoft...>

Hello,

I apologize for this problem.

Please let me know, did your receive our email yesterday?

I've seen your support request and our reply 2 days ago. Also PayPro Global had to send you an email with your license key earlier.

Please check the Spam folder in your mail box.

Hello Igor

I wonder if you can help me please?

I've just downloaded PTE version 8, having previously used and paid for a much earlier version (4.48).

I've got an old style key (beginning

REGEDIT4[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PTE]"Key" (and then a long line of characters).

Can you tell me how I can use this key for the new version please?

I registered the software in 2007, with an e-mail address ending in '@phonecoop.coop' .

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards and best wishes, Chris 

Chris,

To cut a long story short, you need to buy a new license for V8.

If you wish to search the Forum Igor explained the reason for having to suspend/cancel the Lifetime License promise after V7.5.

You will not regret purchasing V8 - it is an excellent product - if you want to install V7.5 instead then the download is available from here.

As far as upgrade costs go I think wnsoft has to pay a license fee for x264 and dvd burner dll. To give away free upgrades forever would be a negative profit. I think it might be worth looking again at dropping dvd burning. Most users watch streaming hd video instead of low quality mpeg-2 dvd.

Tom

Many thanks to davegee and Jean-Cyprien for your replies.

Dave, the link in your first message doesn't appear to work.

From reading messages in the forum, it looks like my key (currently used in version 4) is valid up to version 6.5.

Due to health reasons, I can't justify upgrading to V8, does anyone thus know if version 6.5 is still available for download please?

Kind regards and best wishes,

Chris