WnSoft Forums

Canoscan N650U Software Problem on new PC

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Had an idea for a new show which involves using my scanner. I hadn't re-installed it when I got the new PC but yesterday after digging out the original discs had a try. When I click on the install exe as S1, I get the error message S2, If I click to open the folder, I can see all the components of the software S3 but cannot get the installation to start. I assume it's a compatability issue between 32 & 64bit? However it worked on my previous W7 64bit PC, which is why I went for W7 Professional on this machine, as it was backwards compatable with XP. I can make the scanner work using Windows fax & scan but this has none of the sophistication of the original programme. I have put a ticket in to Canon, but wondered if anyone on here had similar problems & how they overcame them. I have installed the latest Canon driver but again this does not have the original features. :(/>

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-98133300-1388306313_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-59106500-1388306326_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-10651600-1388306342_thumb.jp

Hi Eric,

Did you right click on the application .exe and use the compatibility option to set it to Windows XP SP3?

You can also install a virtual XP operating system if that doesn't work.

Since Windows XP support will be gone in a few months this might not be worth the trouble.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Did you right click on the application .exe and use the compatibility option to set it to Windows XP SP3?

You can also install a virtual XP operating system if that doesn't work.

Since Windows XP support will be gone in a few months this might not be worth the trouble.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Tom

Hi Tom

Nothing happens when I right click on the exe icon?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom & Gilio

Tom I was right clicking in the wrong place, I brought up the compatability & selected WXP SP3, which is what I originally used, but couldn't get any further.

Gilio & Tom, I down loaded the software but didn't have the scanner connected, will try again tomorrow.

Thanks both.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom & Gilio

Tested the scanner this morning, unfortunately I have to buy the software to get the full features, or it leaves a watermark on my scan. I will wait for Canon's response. Thanks for trying. Also it showed the wrong scanner & I couldn't it to find the connected scanner although it operated OK, apart from the watermark.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Only the driver of VueScan x64 is importend not the program himself if you use the canon program it works fine for me.Gilio

I work with filmscanner Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400II to scan old slides from the past before it was xp3 now windows 7, and works fine!

Guest Yachtsman1

Only the driver of VueScan x64 is importend not the program himself if you use the canon program it works fine for me.Gilio

I work with filmscanner Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400II to scan old slides from the past before it was xp3 now windows 7, and works fine!

Hi Gilio

Scanner drivers I have in abundance, it's the mechanics of the software from Canon that won't install.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

I came acroos the N650U problem years ago when I first bought my Sony Vista Laptop (still going strong).

After several days of trying I gave up and left the scanner connected to my XP Media Centre Music PC.

If there is a way of installing the software on W7 or Vista it would be great but I am not going to spend time exploring that when it is working very well on the XP M/c.

It is too good a scanner to throw away when it is still working.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

I was able to use it on my previous PC & my current LT, both W7 64bit Professional. IMO the latest version of W7 I have on the new PC has been changed by MS regarding the backward compatability with XP. Still awaiting a response from Canon.

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Just had another trawl around Canon's site & found a PDF file with previous cameras & scanners & their compatability. It would appear there isn't a driver for W7 in its current form. :angry:/>

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-14255400-1388426591_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Finally got word back from Canon which confirms my fears that my scanner is redundant in their eyes. So if I'm ever in the market for hardware again, I won't be looking at Canon.

Yachtsman1. :angry:/>

post-5560-0-96453400-1388524081_thumb.jp

Finally got word back from Canon which confirms my fears that my scanner is redundant in their eyes. So if I'm ever in the market for hardware again, I won't be looking at Canon.

Yachtsman1. :angry:/>/>

Perhaps the relative value of the scanner might be the problem. I have a Canon 9950F scanner, a top-of-the-line model, and had no trouble with either software or running the scanner under win 7 64-bit. Mind you, the scanner cost me about $NZ 1,200, around 600 pounds Sterling about six years ago. It scans negatives and transparencies, 30 35mm images at a time, or 9 6x6cm or 6x9cm, or one 5x4, plus odd-sized negs with movable masks. It scans at a maximum of 4900 x 9600 pixels, no interpolation. a brilliant machine.

Guest Yachtsman1

Colin

Mine worked on my previous W7 64bit machine & on my 2 year old LT running the same system. It's the current version of W7 that won't accept the software. It cost me around £200 4 or 5 years ago. My Canon Ip4500 printer was bought in 2007 & that operates on my new system, however the last couple of years I've used non Canon inks, on my new machine the printer doesn't recognise the non Canon ink. I'm not too worried about the scanner as I use it very infrequently & have another even older one we used when we lived aboard, haven't tried that one but I assume it will work with Windows fax & scan like the 650 does. Maybe a letter to Santa is needed.I don't print pictures seriously now, so I don't need an expensive one.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

When I worked in a Library we purchased many flat bed scanners. Epson makes some nice LED scanners (almost instant start) that are not too expensive.Ink jet printers are almost free until you run out of ink.smile.gif

If vuescan works it might be cost effective to purchase instead of a new scanner. I like their licensing, install on up to 4 computers you own and lifetime upgrades for pro version.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

Had a quick look at all in one printer/scanner/faxes, the reviewers seem to favour Canon over the competition. my current printer & scanner take up a heck of a lot of space, so if I do spend it will probably be on an all in one. One feature I've found difficult to find on non Canon machines is the ability to print CD's / DVD's discs, I wouldn't like to lose that facility.

Happy New Year

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi yachtsman1

I think that it's got to be accepted these days that manufacturers will use the tactic of not updating drivers for older models, in order to get you to buy a new model!

I've had Epsons for years, and have had an all-in-one (Stylus Photo 730) for some time now which does all I want (print, scan, photocopier, double sided printing, CD printing, wifi, touchpanel, memory card reader, and more).

I think that their current 'Expression' range offers similar features.

I also have an A3 Stylus Photo 1400 with a continuous inkflow system which I bought on Ebay for a knockdown price and have never had an issue with that either.

Some people like Epsons and some hate them - same for Canons and so on. I think it's often down to previous experiences with a particular make, such as jets blocking, paper misfeeds etc etc.

My philosophy is that if something works for you, stick with it!

It's worth saying that although there seems to be many comments about use of compatible ink cartridges, I've never had problems. I find a supplier whose product works and stick with it, saving a significant amount of money.

Regards,

wideangle

Guest Yachtsman1

It's like tooth ache, when you know something's wrong & won't go to the dentist. Well it's been like that since I found my scanner wasn't supported & couldn't use the software I've used since I bought it. Similar situation with my printer which won't recognise the supposedly compatable inks. So I've made an appointment with the Amazon dentist & searched for possible conclusions & decided to buy a new all in 1 printer/scanner/fax/ microwave :P/>/> only joking, however the term all in one certainly covers a wide area. After looking at those that will do what I want, print paper & CD's, scan, & connect wirelessly I'm down to a shortlist of 3, all Canon. Top of the list is the MX625 at £119.99 inc' delivery, which sounds very cheap for what it does. The main subject of feedback for all those I've checked including all the well known manufacturers is ink useage, none of them come up smelling of roses in that respect. Trying to read through the info on Canon's web site to find which will or won't do what I wanted was abysmal, eventually I resorted to emailing their "support", who replied back that the only ones that did printing to CD were in the MG range, which wasn't true as I already knew my front runner from the MX range, did. So I replied what about the MX range? & they came back sharpish with an apology & added the MX625 to their list.

I downloaded info on my selected machines & again in respect of Canon was abysmal as it was zipped in a format my system wouldn't open, but eventually I found a programme to open it & this morning got up early to read what I was letting myself in for. Their "read me first" document is 161 pages long, so trying to absorb the do's & dont's will take some time, with 4 other meaty manuals on the various functions. :ph34r:/>/> :ph34r:/>/> :ph34r:/>/> :ph34r:/>/>

Yachtsman1.

OOps forgot the picture.

post-5560-0-41332500-1388824179_thumb.jp

Eric,

For what it might (or might not) be worth, I feed my Canon Inkjet iP5200 with "Think" inks that I buy from choicestationery.com. I'm not looking for absolute perfect colour as I am not printing to photo quality. So far I've had no problems and they cost a lot less than the Canon branded ones. Note that the Canon inkjet is my secondary printer. My primary printer is my Canon MF3010 all-in-one monochrome laser printer.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

For what it might (or might not) be worth, I feed my Canon Inkjet iP5200 with "Think" inks that I buy from choicestationery.com. I'm not looking for absolute perfect colour as I am not printing to photo quality. So far I've had no problems and they cost a lot less than the Canon branded ones. Note that the Canon inkjet is my secondary printer. My primary printer is my Canon MF3010 all-in-one monochrome laser printer.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I've had my Canon IP4500 since 2007 & it has never failed to come up with the goods until I got my new PC. I always used Canon inks & paper when I was in a camera club & the CD/DVD printer has printed over a 1500 printable CD's/DVD's, so it doesn't owe me anything. If I was planning to do lots of prints I would probably go for a dedicated photo printer. Now I've moved on, I only print docs & the odd pic for a friend. Same with scanning, I scanned over 3500 35mm negs & slides, but again, I have moved on & the sources of 35mm negs & slides is slowly drying up. I believe the situation with the printer not recognising the last batch of non canon inks is related to my current version of W7, who have probably collaborated with the hardware manufacturers to make using non standard inks more difficult. I will certainly try your suggested company when I get my new machine. I will be buying the XXL sized black tank with the new machine as it is supposed to be capable of 1000 A4 copies, which would be more than adequate for at least a years use. Incidentally I got my money back from Paypal for the inks that aren't recognised.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

The new Canon MX925 arrived at lunchtime, it certainly is a big heavy beast. However after removing all the packaging it has slotted under our G Plan credenza unobtrusively. The set up was the usual Canon idiot sheet with steps from 1 to 10, ours is sat on our wooden floor, I wouldn't advise sitting it on carpet as you might have trouble removing the lower paper tray. The wireless set up was a 2 person affair as the router is 5 yards away from the printer. It takes around 6 minutes to align the print heads which is done from the on screen menu. Then the software installation, around 10 minutes. Just tried a wireless print, this is achieved by switching on the printer, finding a document on the PC, pressing print, the paper ejection door opens automatically & away you go, just going to lie down in a dark room for a while before trying a scan. :blink:/> :blink:/> :blink:/>

Yachtsman1.