WnSoft Forums

How to Publish Your Slideshow

cottage

Bert,

Slideshowclub.com doesn't function like Beechbrook.com did. I used a separate mailing system for show notifications. Slideshowclub.com has a built in function which sends email notifications or gives site notifications, your choice, but you have to configure your profile accordingly. Click on your name under "MEMBERS", click on "EDIT MY PROFILE". Select "NOTIFICATION OPTIONS" and go down to the "DOWNLOADS" section. You can make your choices there. After making these choices please let me know if you still do not receive notices. :)/>/>/>

Regards,

Bill

Bill:

I just rec'd a notice for a new show all seems to be OK

Thx

Jim

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who seems to have so much trouble uploading a slide show to this new site. The time I have spent on this over a number of days is now seriously giving me the hump. I am not exactly inexperienced in these types of uploads as it is much the same as my web site, but I have more failures than successes right now.

I uploaded a couple of demos yesterday, but not without incident or a whole heap of time spent doing so.

This morning I tried again using Windows Explorer and step 1 appeared to go according to plan. Next I added a 150*150 pixel thumbnail and that appeared on the upload page too. I added the required text and then selected Add Submission and was taken back to the disclaimer page and I had to start all over again.

I did the same thing again using Google Chrome and exactly the same thing has happened.

Something is wrong somewhere, either me or the system being used, but it's just too frustrating to continue

Solution Found: It is essential that you add at least one tag and while it does say that on the page, it does not indicate that it is an essential part of the upload procedure. Even if the tag is missed, it's a bit of a pain that the whole thing aborts rather that the field highlighting to allow the omission to be put right. . So up-loaders be warned, don't forget to add AT LEAST ONE TAG

Guest Yachtsman1

Barry

Just to add to that, I've been uploading to Slideshow Club over the last few days, the tag I believe is to differentiate between a PC & Mac show, maybe it uses a upload system to differentiate between the two. I'm sure Bill will enlighten us. :unsure:/>

Eric

Yachtsman1.

/>Next I added a 150*150 pixel thumbnail and that appeared on the upload page too.

/>

/>

========================================

Greetings,

Some time ago asked Bill about adding the thumbnail in the new Slideshow site. I didn't see any specs for it. He told me you don't have to do that any more. Just select an image and the upload will do the rest. I guess it will do the resizing itself for the thumbnail. If I am wrong on this, please let us know.

Thanks... Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Gary

I've uploaded a few thumbnails to the tutorials I've posted on there, I usually size them too 1000 pixels wide, one I didn't & allowed to upload looked out of proportion with the rest.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

<br /...Next I added a 150*150 pixel thumbnail and that appeared on the upload page too.

========================

Greetings,

I found the reply from Bill concerning the thumbnail image size:

"He (Igor) and I have already talked about the image size issue. You will notice that no matter what size you upload it’s always a small scaled down image in the listings. However if you click on the small image on the ‘right hand side’ of the download page you will be presented with the image in its uploaded size. Check out my England show or the Welsh Quarrymen show as examples. There are several others as well.

Lots to get use to.

Bill Smile "

Gary

If you do a screen grab of the largest thumbnail size you can find on the Slide Show Club site and measure it. The size appears to 120 pixels square, so to my mind it makes no sense to put up a large picture. Use the crop tool in your image editor to pre-crop a size of 120-150 pixels square. At least that way you get to decide what part of the image the thumbnail displays.

If you do a screen grab of the largest thumbnail size you can find on the Slide Show Club site and measure it. The size appears to 120 pixels square, so to my mind it makes no sense to put up a large picture. Use the crop tool in your image editor to pre-crop a size of 120-150 pixels square. At least that way you get to decide what part of the image the thumbnail displays.

Barry is correct about cropping thumbnail images to maintain what you want displayed. Thumbnail image size is always set by the system software. What the user uploads is up to them, but it will be automatically resized for the main display pages. Once you go to an individual shows download page and click on the image (or images if the user submitted several) it will be displayed in the size the user submitted. Some members send large image files while others do not. At this point it's up to the individual I suppose. :)/>/>/>

Bill

Barry

Just to add to that, I've been uploading to Slideshow Club over the last few days, the tag I believe is to differentiate between a PC & Mac show, maybe it uses a upload system to differentiate between the two. I'm sure Bill will enlighten us. :unsure:/>/>

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric. Tags are provided to assist folks downloading shows so they know what system the show will run on. As the Upload Disclaimer states: "Choose at least one "File Tag". Choices are: PC, Mac, YouTube, and Video.". Unlike Beechbrook, the software that Slideshowclub operates on is fairly restrictive so I cannot make changes/modifications where I would sometimes like to ! :)/>.

Bill

Bill

I understand that with this type of software we have to work with what we have, not always what we would like. I have found in life that what makes me stumble, usually makes others stumble too. In fact someone on my forum thought he had published a show to slide show club, but clearly something went wrong with his submission too. User error I am sure like me..

It is just that it is unusual for tags to be a must have field and that is what threw me. I hardly looked at the feint guidance and when I did, that was the point when the penny dropped.

Perhaps there is a need for something in the guidelines and info.

Bill

I understand that with this type of software we have to work with what we have, not always what we would like. I have found in life that what makes me stumble, usually makes others stumble too. In fact someone on my forum thought he had published a show to slide show club, but clearly something went wrong with his submission too. User error I am sure like me..

It is just that it is unusual for tags to be a must have field and that is what threw me. I hardly looked at the feint guidance and when I did, that was the point when the penny dropped.

Perhaps there is a need for something in the guidelines and info.

Barry,

I wish there was a way to modify various fields/text with this new software. There just isn't. We're pretty much stuck with the few places we can modify. Actually the "Guidelines and Info" section is no different than any other category. Other than it is closed to admin/etc., it functions just like any other file download category. One would still have to download to read the items. I wish it were different but it's not.

But I appreciate you input.

Bill

Hi Barry,

I'll make a quick video of doing that and upload it in a few minutes - I have a capture going right now which should end up in about 15 minutes then I'll capture the steps in a quick video - it can be used for future users so I'll probably post it on the SlideshowClub site as well.

After testing, I find that I can "replace" an entry, but not delete an entry - I'll talk to Bill and see if we can get this resolved. I have updated by deleting, but if there is no file uploaded as a replacement, the message says: "You must upload a file to continue" so right now I think the process is broken - stay tuned....

Best regards,

Lin

That doesn't seem to do it for me once the slide show has been uploaded.

Hi Barry,

I'll make a quick video of doing that and upload it in a few minutes - I have a capture going right now which should end up in about 15 minutes then I'll capture the steps in a quick video - it can be used for future users so I'll probably post it on the SlideshowClub site as well.

After testing, I find that I can "replace" an entry, but not delete an entry - I'll talk to Bill and see if we can get this resolved. I have updated by deleting, but if there is no file uploaded as a replacement, the message says: "You must upload a file to continue" so right now I think the process is broken - stay tuned....

Best regards,

Lin

Barry - Lin,

Not possible at present. We'll look into how this can be accomplished. Stay tuned !

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

slideshow club _ Problems!

Hi guys,

Igor asked me to upload my Scotland sequence, that recently achieved a Photographic Alliance of Great Britain (PAGB) Sliver Medal at the Northern Ireland Photographic Association (NIPA) AV Festival 2014. I can only assume he asked this, as it is rare that a 'mere' photo harmony sequence achieves a winning place in such open AV competitions. But I have tried three times and it simply does't work! I prepared detailed change log and a full description of the sequence, as I wanted to fully support this venture. After the first failure, I created a text file of my change log and description, so that I didn't have to re type things again and again.

I will try once again, but then that's it!

I am having exactly the same issues, three times I have tried to upload a sequence and every time it takes me back to the original screen and does nothing. I have tried Windows Explorer, Google Chrome and both methods to upload. Trying again now, but this can't be right.

I could have had a dozen uploaded to my own site in the time its taken me to get knowhere

Hi Mark,

Hi Barry,

I'm sorry about these difficulties!

I see two typical problems:

1. The file is not completely uploaded.

When you click the button "Click to Upload Files" you need to wait while the file is being uploaded.

the progress bar on the right side will indicate that:

post-1-0-17829800-1395379609_thumb.png

When file is completely uploaded you'll see the following:

post-1-0-73751500-1395379612_thumb.png

Now you can click "Add Submission" button at the bottom of this page.

2. EXE files should be packed to a ZIP archive. If upload EXE file you'll see the following error:

post-1-0-49056900-1395379604_thumb.png

Note: New slideshows/AV shows don't appear automatically for visitors of the gallery. The moderator should check up new files and it usually takes 1-12 hours.
If you doing everything correctly, but a problem will occur again in future, please let me know.
For the Slideshowclub we use IPB 3.4.6 engine. New version IPB 4.0 is coming soon. Probably they will improve the uploading to make it more intuitive. I've read about improvements in this direction.
P.S. I see that now you successfully uploaded your AV shows. Thank you!

Guest Yachtsman1

I uploaded my latest tutorial 11 on menus yesterday afternoon. The upload was successful, however I have not received the email to say it was approved despite being able to download it myself.

Yachtsman1.

I think I can see what the issue is. If you miss one of those fields it will not remind you that you have missed something, but take you right back to the start, which is very annoying. It seems you have to put something in every field apart from Change Log, whatever that is, or it just won't work

Guest Yachtsman1

That isn't strictly true, the only compulsory fields are the shows name, a tag, which I believe you were advised previously, images from the upload & a description. For those who haven't used the system, tag refers to either a PC, Mac, Video, or Youtube & is necessary for the system to operate, check the attached screen shots of the upload process.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-55293900-1395391348_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-05995600-1395391383_thumb.jp